RIP George Steinbenner

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP)—George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.
Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.
His death on the day of the All-Star game was the second in three days to rock the Yankees. Bob Sheppard, the team’s revered public address announcer from 1951-07, died Sunday at 99.

from a Dodgers fan I say RIP.

the408kid

Reaction score
R.I.P, the boss. Probably the only man who was the best and worst owner at the same time. An enigma to modern era sports, rest his soul.
He's was basically the Vince McMahon of baseball. An evil genius who during his tenure as owner won 7 world series and made lots of people's lives a living hell.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
R.I.P, the boss. Probably the only man who was the best and worst owner at the same time. An enigma to modern era sports, rest his soul.

I'm a lifelong Yankee fan & can say that what you wrote is absolutely true. At a time when most teams were getting young talent from their farm systems, Steinbrenner had the plan to go after guys 5-10 years after their primes. There are a lot of guys who can be on that list, but his all time biggest bust was Hideki Irabu. He had a giant contract & was a big fat slob who wouldn't cover first base on a grounder in spring training which led to Steinbrenner saying the classic line "He's a big fat toad". Irabu's first season had Steinbrenner berate him in the press for not giving his all & for being a slob.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Not a baseball fan but I will always remember the character from Seinfeld. Somebody get that guy an eggplant calzone.

Kizza

Reaction score
Seinfeld is where I remember the guy also. Love the calzone episode.

R.I.P, really built a lasting dynasty.