RIOT! Smackdown Preview

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
riotsd.png

Welcome to the very first edition of RIOT! Smackdown Preview.

This week I will be reviewing 8/29/11 Edition of Smackdown!

- Sin Cara has been taken off the Smackdown Intro video.

- The pyrotechnics explode as the show kicks off and we're live in Philadelphia.

- The WWE new chief operating officer, Triple H comes out to kick start the show, the crowd delivers a nice pop here. Triple H does a quick Vince Strut walk. At ringside we're joined by Booker T, Josh Mathews and Michael Cole. For some reason Cole doesn't look too pleased to be here after his stint on RAW.

- Triple H speaks about the Championships and says there are three champions. On Monday Night he did the right thing on doing a tournament. But he says RAW has two champions and they are CM Punk and John Cena. One had a rematch clause, the other was a title holder and left the company. He says on Monday Night RAW he will come with a solution to this. Triple H says he is going to speak on the Smackdown's Champion.

- Christian's music hits as he raises his World Heavyweight Championship up high and interrupts HHH. The commentators remind us how Orton got himself disqualified and how Christian won the title. Christian says congratulations on your new position HHH, he says he is getting sick and tired of Orton. He isn't happy with Teddy Long and his sucking up to Randy Orton, he says Orton sucks up to these inbred fans here in Philadelphia. Christian continues on to say that everyone is on his side and he said he was forced to become the bad guy because of what Randy Orton. Christian says as the World Heavyweight Champion he'd work on a good relationship with him.

- HHH says here's the thing and says he is taking this as a slap to the face. He says if you slap me in the face, I'll do it back. HHH says he can slap harder then Christian can. HHH doesn't like negotiations, he doesn't like meetings and he says he will get to the point. Orton gets his rematch and Christian isn't impressed. HHH says there's no rules or anything else because the match has No Disqualifications. Christian will defend at Summerslam in a No Holds Barred.

- Christian says hold on a second, you cannot do this to me. R-Truth comes out and interrupts saying SURPRISE! R-Truth back on Smackdown. I'm back here, R-Truth says hey Jimmy you're back. R-Truth comes to interrupt what he didn't finish on RAW. Triple H is thinking, who gave him this gimmick. Truth says HHH and the WWE has a conspiracy against him. Triple H says ask away with the question you want to ask. R-Truth says I'm telling you on Monday those conspiracies will be gone because I am a man of action. Triple H says WHAT? I want you in the ring because listen, I know you're a man of action because you will be action right here on Smackdown. You go one on one with Randy Orton. Christian says don't worry about that but HHH says he has a match for him as well, he says you've got a match against John Morrison.

RIOT! POV: The starting segment was done nicely, HHH on Smackdown showing exactly who is in charge of the WWE. It was a nice way of doing so, would have preferred Teddy Long coming out in this segment but he didn't. I like how R-Truth and Morrison are on Smackdown just for tonight's Smackdown because it's a bit like Pick Your Poison. With Christian having to face Morrison and Truth facing Orton, it makes a lot of sense. I'm glad HHH booked a No Holds Barred match, I see Christian retaining at Summerslam and then maybe facing someone else for once. Another thing I liked was HHH saying he doesn't do meetings or negotiations. That's something I like.

- Backstage HHH is backstage with Teddy Long. Ryder is there, Ryder has an idea he wants to propose but… HHH says his idea if you wanna be on the show you can be you're new assistant. Ryder says Woo Woo Woo and knuckle touches Long.

- We cut to the ring where John Morrison is making his way out as Christian is already in the ring. R-Truth is watching from backstage.

Match One: Christian vs. Morrison

- Quick roll up by Morrison and a fake spinning kick before tossing Christian over the ring starts us off. Morrison looks for a suicide dive but stops after seeing Christian moving out of the way. Christian gets back in the ring before faking a wrist-lock before a slap to the face on Morrison. Christian then irish-whips and kicks him before throwing a punch. Another irish-whip which gives Morrison a spot to hit a springboard kick but Christian manages to toss Morrison out of the ring seconds later. Morrison slides back into the ring as Christian fails a Springboard dive. Morrison hits a nice over the top rope dive.

- Ad break

- We're back and during the ad break it's shown that Christian slammed Morrison to the steel post on the outside. Christian has him on the mat putting him in a chinlock as Morrison fights back but Christian looks for a Tornado DDT but Morrison throws him off before delivering two clothesline following it up quickly with a leg lariat. Morrison tries to do something but fails, Christian looks for a reverse DDT but Morrison reverses before lifting Christian up and slamming him face first. Morrison looks for a kick to the face but Christian ducks before hitting a nice Spinebuster. Christian hits a nice uppercut on the outside but once he's back in the ring Morrison connects with a Standing Spanish Fly. Christian slaps Morrison before Morrison beats Christian down on the corner but a spear out of nowhere for a 2 count. Christian gets himself towards the top rope as Morrison throws a punch, Morrison gets onto the second rope as he gains the momentum as he flips Christian over his head, Morrison looks for a Starship Pain but fails as Christian connects with the killswitch for the win.

RIOT! POV: Quite a short match actually, but these two gave it everything and put on a great performance. A little botch happened during the match with Morrison trying to lift Christian onto his shoulders but Christian quickly fixed that with the reverse DDT attempt. Morrison looks to be in great shape after returning from injury, as I said short match but these two need to meet again in the future because a longer match would benefit both and deliver.

- The cameras show Jinder Mahal and Great Khali sitting in the skybox.

- Barrett is in the ring as he cuts a promo. He says Daniel Bryan is weak and Barrett should have won the MITB. He says today things will go back to basics, he says does anybody seriously think he is a contender. Barrett says he is over-rated and over-hyped. Bryan comes out with the briefcase and the microphone. Bryan says last week he will do the same thing as he did last week and that was make Heath Slater tap out. Barrett says he made all of you during 'Nexus', Bryan interrupts and he left Nexus to make a statement and he's done just that. He says in the last year, you main evented a pay-per-view but I won Money In The Bank and next year I will cash in at Wrestlemania. Barrett delivers a quick punch as he looks at the briefcase and picks it up. Bryan out of nowhere locks in the Labell lock as Barrett is tapping out. The crowd is red hot for Bryan as he leaves the ring.

RIOT! POV: Short segment but done nicely. Both should feud because they can improve on the mic.

- Backstage Teddy Long with Ryder speaks to Mark Henry. He says he destroyed Kane and Big Show and Ryder says he has something for him tonight. Ryder says him and Long are broskis but Long ignores him.

RIOT! POV: Ryder getting more TV time is great, I wonder how it will pan out in the future.

- Recap video and we see Gabriel in South Africa with the fans and the culture of South Africa and the lovely views.

RIOT! PPV: This is an amazing video on Gabriel's life and background. They've instantly turned him babyface, I wonder if he will get a new gimmick or something because they are giving him the 'South African' culture video here. It's where he's from, this is great. I've always liked Gabriel.

MATCH TWO: Natalya, Kaitlyn & A.J. vs. Alicia Fox, Tamina & Rosa Mendes.

- In the ring Natalya, Kaitlyn and A.J are already in the ring as Alicia Fox's music hits as she's out with Tamina & Rosa Mendes. Natalya and Tamina are in the ring as Tamina slaps, goes for another but Natalya reverse into a delayed schoolboy pin for 1. Tamina looks for a superkick but misses as she pushes Natalya as she comes back and Tamina connects with a Samoan Drop before tagging Alicia Fox. Fox holds onto a weird submission move before Natalya manages to have her on the Tree of Woe as A.J. gets tagged in. A nice hurricane by A.J and a kick before a leg lariat as Tamina and Rosa breaks up the pin. Kaitlyn and Natalya take Rosa and Tamina out of the ring. A.J looks for a crossbody but misses, a weird looking Ax Kick by Alicia Fox gets the heels winning this short match.

RIOT! POV: Like every diva match it was short but for the short match, A.J has improved and that was a lovely hurricana, a longer match needs to happen however. Kaitlyn and Rosa did nothing.

- Recap of Mark Henry's push, taking out Big Show at Money In The Bank. They focus on Henry's second rope splash with the chair placed on Big Show's leg. They then go to last week's Smackdown where Henry injured Kane.

RIOT! POV: Henry's getting a huge push at the moment, I do see a World Heavyweight run going for him before his career ends next year. I have always enjoyed Henry and I am one who likes him as a heel.

MATCH THREE: Mark Henry vs. Local Jobber named Bobby.

- Henry comes out for his match as the ring announcer says 'And His Opponent…', out comes this local jobber who's name I didn't get. Ryder comes out and tells him that he's never been here before and he should give it everything he has. Ryder is trying to put over the scrawny skinny local jobber. His name is Bobby someone… Didn't catch the last name,

- Henry walks up as he delivers a Double hold choke-slam before the World's Strongest Slam. Another one is delivered as Henry isn't done just yet. Henry delivers another but this time it ends with a backbreaker and the match is over. Henry leaves the ring as he grabs a chair, the jobber still in the ring. Henry places the chair on the jobber's leg (Same way as he did to Big Show and Kane).

Teddy Long interrupts and runs down the ring in Usain Bolt speed! Teddy Long tells him not to hurt him, Teddy Long says there is nobody out back who wanted to face you. Teddy isn't happy that Henry is injuring people and Sheamus' music hits to a surprise. Sheamus is smiling while he comes down to the ramp, he enters the ring as he grabs the microphone.

- Sheamus says Teddy, if you need someone to fight Henry, I'll show ya. Sheamus cuts a face promo and the crowd gets behind him. Henry begins yelling at Long as Henry gets into Sheamus' face and says you can't do this. Sheamus slaps him in the face, Henry goes to attack but Sheamus tosses him over the ring as Henry looks to get back into the ring, Sheamus has a chair in hand. Henry grabs a steel step and goes to throw it to the ring but fails to do so. Sheamus is telling him to come and fight him but Henry walks away.

RIOT! POV: A new feud! I'm going to dig Sheamus' face turn. It's proven that nobody else wanted to fight Henry and Sheamus has answered just that. A Sheamus vs. Henry feud is something I'd want to see. He'd get over easily because Sheamus played a face during FCW so it wouldn't be so hard for him at all.

- Backstage the Tag Champions are shown. What's up with McGillicutty's bandanna, it's almost like he's turning to JTG.

- The Uso's do their Samoan War Dance to absolutely no reaction (I'm quite surprised this wasn't edited to cheers). The crowd is absolutely dead for this tag team match and it doesn't surprise me at all.

- The New Nexus debuts a new theme song which is called Death Blow.

MATCH FOUR: The Usos vs. New Nexus

- Jey Uso and McGillicutty starts off the match, Jey with a quick schoolboy and kick before tagging Jimmy in as The Uso's do a double elbow drop. McGillicutty gets to his feet and tags Otunga. Otunga connects with a kick before pressuring Jimmy by the ropes as McGillicutty hits an uppercut as Otunga is distracting the referee. Otunga holds a headlock on Jimmy. Jimmy escapes and connects with a nice kicks before tagging Jey as Otunga tags McGillicutty. Jey hits a few clothesline before doing a Rikishi Butt Slam on the corner. Otunga grabs Jimmy and tosses him. McGillicutty distracts the referee as Otunga throws Jey off the top rope as McGillicutty hits the neckbreaker for the win.

RIOT! POV: I didn't actually like this tag match, it was short and there wasn't much given in the match at all. They could have worked a bit more, it was way too short for my liking and McGillicutty and Otunga desperately needs to drop the titles to someone else. The tag team is dying even worse here.

- Backstage, Ryder says he did it. He says Ezekiel Jackson vs. Rhodes & DiBiase tonight. Long says he makes the matches around here but Ryder tells him to chill out bro.

- RAW Recap with the WWE Championship between Rey & Miz then Rey vs. Cena and CM Punk coming out.

- Cole says CM Punk has just announced he will be at Monday Night RAW and they will speak on the situation of the titles.

- R-Truth backstage promo. He says he is going to be an eagle to Orton's viper. He says Vipers are gonna get got.

- Ezekiel Jackson comes out for his match against Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr.

MATCH FIVE: Ezekiel Jackson vs. Old Legacy

- The paperbag people are out with Rhodes and DiBIase Jr in this match. Cole tells Booker to put it over his head.

- DiBiase starts off with Ezekiel here. DiBiase tags Rhodes quickly before a double clothesline from Ezekiel. DiBiase distracts as Rhodes stomps Ezekiel down as DiBiase has Ezekiel in a headlock, Rhodes tags him in. DiBiase with a backbreaker as he continues to beat Ezekiel down. DiBiase charges but Ezekiel slams him to the corner turnbuckle. DiBiase tags Rhodes as Ezekiel hits a couple of bodyslams before locking in the torture rack. DiBiase kicks Ezekiel before being thrown outside of the ring. Ezekiel goes to attack Rhodes but Rhodes moves out of the way as Ezekiel goes into the steel post which sets Rhodes up for the Crossrhodes victory.

RIOT! POV: Another short match with a lot of tags. Looks like Rhodes could be next in line for the Intercontinental Championship.

- Jinder and Khali cut a promo.The crowd boo's heavily. Khali speaks in punjab and Jinder has the look of what Hassan/Daivari would do.

MATCH SIX: R-Truth vs. Randy Orton

- R-Truth makes his way to the ring as Orton's entrance is played. Massive pops for Randy Orton here.

- Orton quick headlock before an irish-whip to the ropes before Orton connecting a couple of shoulder-blocks. Truth kicks and punches Orton before Orton hits another clothesline. Orton stomps on R-Truth before looking for a jumping knee drop but R-Truth moves out of the way and hits a nice kick on Orton as he rolls to the outside. R-Truth goes to the outside as Orton goes to slam his head onto the barricade but R-Truth reverses and slams Orton instead before rolling him back into the ring. R-Truth works the crowd, Orton goes to toss R-Truth out of the ring but R-Truth holds onto the ropes, Orton looks for a Hangman DDT but Truth grabs Orton's neck and slams him onto the ropes. Truth slides into the ring and hits a nice Suplex/Neckbreaker. Christian makes his way to the ring as he watches from the entrance ramp.

- Ad Break

- Orton is fighting back as Truth hits a corkscrew clothesline for a two count. R-Truth has Orton in a chinlock hold by the ropes. Truth grabs Orton to the middle of the ring with a headlock as Orton fights his way out with a headbutt and a punch before running to the ropes only for Truth to hit a shoulder-block for a two count. R-Truth gets to the top rope as he goes to leap off, Orton hits an uppercut. R-Truth charges at Orton only to be kicked, Orton gains momentum with a clothesline and a quick scoop slam. Orton grabs R-Truth and connects with the hangman DDT.

- Orton stares at Christian before dropping down to the mat as he prepares for the RKO, Christian slowly walks down the ramp. R-Truth sees Orton and slides out of the ring, Orton does so as well as R-Truth slams Orton to the apron before hitting him over the head with the bottled water while Christian distracts the referee.

- Orton drinks Truth's bottled water before sliding into the ring with a Thesz Press followed by multiple punches. Orton slides out of the ring and grabs a chair before disqualifying himself and beating Truth with the chair. Orton continues to punch R-Truth a couple of times. Orton looks towards the entrance ramp before looking down on the mat and once back at Christian. Orton steps out of the ring and grabs the announcer's table and rips everything off it. Christian looks on from the entrance ramp. Orton grabs the monitor and clocks R-Truth over the head with it. Orton grabs R-Truth onto the announcers table as he connects with an RKO, the table doesn't break at all. Orton looks to leave as Christian continues to look from the entrance ramp. Orton holding onto his head, looks back towards R-Truth as he smiles, the crowd is cheering Orton loudly. Orton goes back with a cunning smile towards R-Truth and hits another RKO on the announcer's table, once again the table doesn't break. Orton's music is then played as the crowd is cheering for Orton as the show ends.

RIOT! POV: A nice main event but Orton needs to stop trying RKO'ing people on the announcer's table because it's not breaking at all. Try a chair or something. The Main Event was quite solid and a few good moves were used. Christian continued to watch the second half of the match and the aftermath, would have preferred Christian running down the ramp or something but it's a great way to show what Orton is capable of seeing the match is a No Holds Barred. Not a bad Smackdown, this is my first review. I hope you all enjoyed it, please give feedback.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Excellent review Andrew. I really like the format that you have used, it makes it very clear and flows nicely. You make good points as well and my thoughts on this weeks episode are quite similar.

Although I don't mind that HHH made the announcement at the start rather than Teddy Long. HHH is in charge of Teddy so I like that HHH is showing that he is in charge of both shows and will be appearing on both. I agree that the video was great and it looks like Gabriel is the next face midcarder on Smackdown. Look forward to seeing what he can do as a singles wrestler. I can't wait for face Sheamus either as I really think he can do a great job of it and get the fans behind him.