Rey Mysterio

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Rey Mysterio is a guy who has been in this business longer than most who are still active. He's revolutionized the Lucha style, won numerous titles and managed to stay relevant regardless of his size. Where most cruiserweight have failed, he's managed to flourish.
However... I really get the feeling that Rey could be so much more than he his. This guys is continually beat down by booking and shitty double edged commentary. How many years do we have to hear Rey is the underdog? How many times do we need to hear that he's smaller than most? How many times do we need to hear how big his fuckin heart is? Meanwhile, as all this is being said... Rey is in there making guys twice his size look like fools.
As of late since moving back to Smackdown it seems like he's truly picked up his pace again and really become a whole lot more entertaining to watch in the ring. The long awaited re-ignition of his past feud with Jericho is really Rey's first chance to wrestle a guy close to his own size without being pinned down in some bullshit David and Goliath angle. We saw Rey unmasked at the PPV and it's yet to be seen whether or not he'll remain that way. So masked or unmasked.... what are some possibilities you guys can think of for some better booking for Rey?

plachi

Banned
Reaction score
I think match wise the obvious options would be CM Punk, Jeff Hardy and John Morrison, but I can't see any of those being a great storyline because they're all such strong faces (we'll have to wait til next SD to see if Punk has turned heel, but I doubt he has). Maybe he could work with Edge and one of the above in a WHC scenario, but it seems as though they want to keep Rey upper-mid card. I think his feud with Jericho will continue a while longer.

noumenon

^I think he'll be feuding with Jericho at least until Summerslam...most likely scenario would be him regaining the IC title there.
Hopefully after that we'll see him putting some younger guys like Ziggler over in the mid-card. They seem higher on Dolph than most on Smackdown right now. A three way Morrison/Dolph/Mysterio feud for the IC title could be great.

plachi

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Dolph Ziggler at all personally. Unfortunately Vince seems to be, and with Umaga gone he's only going to get pushed more because there's no one else. I can't see him ever getting beyond the level of Shelton Benjamin though, if that.

chessarmy

Rey will keep his mask. There was a point during the No Holds Barred match at Extreme Rules where Jericho was teasing taking the mask off, it accidentally slipped and there was a clear view of Rey's face lol. I, like many of you, are sick of the david vs goliath angles that Rey is always stuck in and I would LOVE to see him wrestle someone his size for once. This feud with Jericho is the closest we're going to get to seeing that, so I'm happy. As for future feuds, I think Dolph Ziggler can get a good rub from Rey if those two were to feud. Dolph (despite his stupid name) has been impressing me lately

MikeRaw

I don't see why you have a problem with him being booked as the underdog. He has to be. If he's going up against guys that are sometimes over a goot taller than him (Kane, Kozlov, Taker, Batista), and others who are a good 5-6 inches bigger than him (pretty much everyone), he has to be built as an underdog. Plus, it's a good way that WWE managed to keep his fanbase, without having him look like he's unbeatable.
As for what's next, I'd actually like him to continue this feud. Jericho has proved he excels in long lasting, drawn out feuds, and this could be one of them. They should feud until Summerslam. It can get pretty personal, and have great matches mixed in as well.

chessarmy

^ Obviously he's perfectly suited for an underdog babyface, but sometimes it just gets old. You can't go years and years just building someone up trying to put him over using sympathy. Once in a while its great to have big man vs small man, because USUALLY you don't see it very often. In Rey's case, it felt like every match he was in told the same story

MikeRaw

So you think it'd be better for him to be the favourite over Edge, or Triple H, or Orton?

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
As the beginning post mentioned, Rey's been in the game long enough. I think its time he retires. He's been through his share of injuries, and I think this Jericho angle will be his end. They go at it in one more uber gimmick match, and then Rey retires. Then again, I haven't followed WWE so maybe his angle with Y2J is over, but I hope it isn't. This is the perfect exit for the 619 Luchadore.

Airfixx

^^^Rey's been one of the better performers since the draft. Can't see why now would be a specifically good time to retire him... Just cos he's "Been in the game" a long time?

Hell, shouldn't Taker, HBK & HHH all be ahead of him in those stakes?

The future...?

Rey won't be losing the mask.... He lost the IC title in order to protect his identity.

I see him recapturing the IC title from Jericho at Summerslam. By that time they'll need Jericho free for ME duties against Punk or maybe a three way also including Edge. Rey can go on to Fued with Ziggler and build him up...

Reaction score
Here's the problem - Rey Mysterio is a fag. Period.

I don't like him, I've never been a big fan, and since the Rumble 06 I've just hated him. He has to play the underdog, because as others have already said - he's physically smaller than the rest. You can't play many other angles with guys who are so much bigger, and with the WWE slowly getting filled with bigger, muscular guys, he's going to get drowned. Therefore, it may seem like a dumb, repeated storyline, but it's the only one they can really utilise.

If he's not doing that, he's riding someone's death to fame and glory. Let's pray someone close to Rey doesn't pass on in the near future, I might just spew if I have to sit through another mis-booked "Rey mysterio underdog of the century champion storyline".

I will forever hate Mysterio, and here's to hoping he suffers yet another knee injury in the near future and he is unable to compete... :D

Airfixx

^^^Bollocks. Your post just reeks of unobjective hate.

Yes, Rey's size is a factor that your average 250lb-er doesn't have to consider, but it doesn't mean he's only got David/Golliath-style angles available to him.

Maybe I'm mistaken but he seems to be enbroiled in a pretty decent angle right now.

I agree with others that there are some flaws with the way he is 'sold' to us and that the writing for him could be improved , but you're just mis-appropriating these points for your own means. --->>>

MizMasta3000

I'm not a fan of Dolph Ziggler at all personally. Unfortunately Vince seems to be, and with Umaga gone he's only going to get pushed more because there's no one else. I can't see him ever getting beyond the level of Shelton Benjamin though, if that.

Dolph is the man did you see the last FNS, he lost to Khali but at least he was upper-mid card that night. Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas are probably going to become a more legit tag team and he is only going to go higher.

Anyway, nothing mysterio can do to make them stop talking little of him. He won the royal rumble, the WHC and he has won so many matches at wrestlemainia. Teh guy has basically done it all in WWE and its a shame he is still considered The Ultimate Underdog. It would be nice to see Rey leave the IC alone and go back for the WHC. Rey vs. Jeff matches is what I want to see