• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Return From the Ashes: A Greek Story (CK2 - Stellaris)

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Eug%C3%A8ne_Ferdinand_Victor_Delacroix_012.jpg

From the Ashes...
A Greek Story

May 1204

Constantinople, the jewel of the Byzantine Empire, has fallen at the hands of those wretched Catholic crusaders from the West, divvying up Byzantine territory amongst themselves in an effort to seize control of a base of operations near the Middle East. In their haste, several plots of formerly Byzantine territory consolidated themselves into successor groups of the Eastern Romans... the biggest of which being that of the Nicene Empire.

World.PNG

With Constantinople controlled by the Catholic crusaders, it appears that the Roman Empire is no more... but the Nicene Empire is controlled by those of Roman descent, those who have seen the Empire through the days of the Republic, and even in this darkest hour, have yet to give up. Their determination to return to the glory of Rome will see them through. Here, we track the story through the ages of centuries past. Our documentary crew holds nearly a millennium's worth of articles, datalogs, diary entries, dispatches, heralds, newspapers, and commlinks regarding the world following the Sack of Constantinople...

Here, we will utilize these items to detail and craft a compelling story of the rise of the Nicene Empire, from the ashes of the Byzantine, to the creation of a New Roman Empire, and beyond...

Hello everyone, Barry here with a massive project yet again. This time, instead of like with my Grimdolfing CK2 story, this will be less a recap and more an epistolary story, as if written from the perspective of the characters, the heralds, newspapers, etc. This is the first actual semi-mega campaign I'm attempting, as I intend to play through Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV, Victoria II, and then skipping Heart of Iron 4 and heading straight to Stellaris. So wish me luck, and this will probably be years in the making anyways. It'll at least be interesting to see how it turns out.

Archive:

Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
ck2_map_20.png

Prologue:

From what we understand, the Nicene Empire was controlled from the very beginning by the Hikesphoros dynasty, an incredibly wealthy and influential Greek family in Anatolia. When the Seljuk Muslims had taken over in Eastern Anatolia, it was the Hikesphoros family that utilized their wealth to stop the oncoming charge of the Seljuks, enough to stem the blood from the until the Emperors could figure out some plan to stop the Rum... then the Fourth Crusade happened. Constantinople was sacked by the Venetian Republic and the Crusaders of Western Europe after failed payment by the damned Angelos dynasty. In an older letter from one of the Hikesphoros in the leadership of Anatolia to a friend in Greece, they had written:

"That damn Angelos let them waltz right into the city, and learned nothing from the Komnenos centuries before. Now the city is under French control, and we're without an emperor. How can things get any worse?"
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, May 1204 C.E.
Augusthenes.PNG

This member of the Hikesphoros, would turn out to be none other than Augusthenes Hikesphoros, the newly anointed Emperor of the Nicene Empire, one of the many successor states set up in the wake of Constantinople's capture. Augusthenes was the head of the dynasty at the time, and due to holding the most land in Anatolia following the collapse of the Byzantine Empire, it was a natural selection. He was somewhat unpopular with his underlings, however, due to his wrathful nature. He was also a heavy drinker, according to some speculative evidence. Nonetheless, it was up to him to lead the Nicene Empire into a post-Byzantine era, at least for the time being. Augusthenes was a skilled soldier in the formerly Byzantine Empire, and with his skill, it was unlikely that he wouldn't help the Nicene Empire form into a stronger entity than it began, especially with the Seljuks and the Latin Empire breathing down their necks.​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 1:

From what we understand about Augusthenes Hikesphoros and his ambitions, a few years following the fall of Constantinople, his mission felt clear. The reconstitution of formerly Byzantine lands into the fold of the Nicene Empire was in his mind, a necessity. According to a letter to his brother-in-law, King Valdemar II of Denmark, Augusthenes felt it was a mission he was ordained for.
"The courts of my people have detailed unto me an interesting tale of intrigue from the camp of the wretched Baudouin. Though they hold our glorious city, their resolve is tested by those of truly Roman blood. In the streets, thousands of our dear people cry in brazen voices towards their overlords on the subject of food and employment. The poor in the streets are given no quarter or payment of respect, and those Romans who starve suffer themselves unto the abject tyranny of that lascivious Baudouin. Their riotous judgment speaks volumes of the utter dysfunction of the boorish French in once-prosperous lands. What cries Baudouin when his hatred and greed hath brought upon him this issue? Did he not think that Roman men would not silence themselves in the mouth of tyrannical oppressors? As our people to the East suffer those humiliations of Seljuk Muslim rule, so too do those in [Constantinople]. Should in my lifetime I fail to enter that city as its savior and liberator, then so shall said mission fall in vain with my last breath. In the name of Jesus Christ, our people will be rescued from tyranny in that city; be it today, tomorrow, or my last day on Earth."
Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1206 C.E.

1640711609720.png

Historians generally agree that Augusthenes' hatred of Baudouin of the Latin Empire was prevalent in his every action. However, historians found themselves surprised at Augusthenes' positive relationship with the Sultan of Rum: Kilij Arslan III. From what documents they could find, our documentary crew can officially say with some certainty that in the early years of their reigns, Kilij Arslan and Augusthenes were friends who agreed to a creed of non-aggression against one another for a period of twenty years in late 1204. Though they shared borders and from later letters, he strongly hated the fact that there were "Romans under foreign occupation", Augusthenes understood that Kilij Arslan posed an immediate threat to his Eastern flank, especially while he dealt with the Latin Empire to the West. According to historian Scott Anderson, he had this to say about this odd relationship:
"Augusthenes wasn't an idiot, first and foremost. He understood that Kilij Arslan could have invaded and destroyed his new empire if Arslan had been so inclined to do so. By forcing the Seljuks into an early negotiated agreement, he singlehandedly denied them just cause to invade without reneging on their contractual treatise. Those first twenty years of freedom would have been paramount for Augusthenes to consolidate his power effectively."
- Prof. Scott Anderson, 2021

With his immediate Eastern flank settled, Augusthenes sought to bring another bordered Kingdom under his influence. The Kingdom of Trebizond served as a major trade hub within the Black Sea, containing holdings in the Northern coast which bordered the Crimean region and the nomadic Khaganate of Cumania. Though Augusthenes reasonably could have conquered the entirety of Trebizond, he thought against outright conquest, reasoning that creating a Tributary March would serve an equal purpose while giving the people of Trebizond continued autonomy.

In September 1205 C.E., Augusthenes began a military campaign to force a tributary relationship with Trebizond. The first major battle, known to history as the "Battle of Pompeiopolis", lasted approximately 30 days tactically, from the 3rd of December, 1205 C.E. to the 1st of January, 1206 C.E. The general of Augusthenes' army, Baron Philotheos of Kona created a detailed dispatch of the battle, an excerpt of the last few days stating the following:

"... The final few days were full of vicious combat that aided our advantage due to pinning [Commander] Ioannes against the downward momentum of the hill we had utilized on Day 12. Though they gave us a spirited fight on Day 28, their inability to break the line on the hill suffered them tremendously, losing them approximately another hundred or so armed soldiers. Day 29 laid a standstill as Ioannes waited cautiously for our next move.
The day was spent fortifying our position on the hill and then with some semblance of knowledge that our opponent's flanks had been compromised, we rearranged our line, shifting our central column towards the leftmost flank, and our heavy cavalry upon the central line of the Trebizondian army. On the final day of the battle, with a mighty roar, we charged from upon the hill at the brave enemy. They were thoroughly beaten, not expecting such a raucous charge, and they fled by the end of the day, having sustained too many casualties to properly justify continuing the fight. With our superior numbers and tactics, we had won the battle and made our mark against King Alexios' army.

In the end, of their army, which approximately weighed in at a respectable 6300 men, they had lost nearly a fourth of their army strength from the battle. They however inflicted similar casualty numbers against our larger army, losing us approximately 1000 men of our 9500. Their army, now defeated, will likely wallow back towards their capital as we stay on the march, burying the dead behind us and hastily drawing towards Trapezous..."

- Philotheos of Kona, January 1206 C.E.

Philotheos.PNG

After three long years of battle, the Kingdom of Trebizond yielded to the might of Augusthenes' army on the 18th of August, 1209 C.E., and in the end, capitulated towards making the Nicaea their suzerain. In the negotiations, Trebizond was given much freedom of autonomy, as long as they would offer monetary tribute towards Augusthenes' rule permanently. With that settled, the Eastern flank of Augusthenes' empire was secure. The first five years of his reign were a consolidation of power and restructuring of the Eastern flank. With that settled, the Emperor of Nicaea could look West with impunity and focus his resources towards a reconstitution of Greece under his fold.​

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Nicene Empire.PNG

Part 2:

Following the conquest of Trebizond, news came to Basilleus Augusthenes. It was terrible news, a worst-case scenario for him... That boorish bastard Baudouin had begun his expansion into Greece, forcing upon the Doux of Hellas, Alexios II, a vassalization via bended knee. This left Augusthenes's mission proportionally more difficult to achieve the reconstitution of Greece. However, it would not be impossible for Augusthenes, as the Aegean isles were left to their own devices. Augusthenes wrote to his best general, Doux Isaakios "The Tenacious", this letter in March of 1210 C.E.:

"Naxos and Euboia, though across the Aegean sea, are in prime positions for conquest and reconstitution into Roman order. We must not allow Baudouin to control the Aegean, lest our mission for the return of Roman order to Greece is thwarted further. I beg you, Isaakios, move your troops and occupy Naxos into submission before Baudouin can formulate a strategy. If we can control those islands, we can garner a foothold into Greece. You have my permission to do whatever you must to win this war."
Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1210 C.E.
1641241513587.png

On the 3rd of March, 1210 C.E., Doux Isaakios sailed his troops towards Naxos, and with their army, besieged the island for over eight months, until finally Theodoros of Naxos was forced to yield to overwhelming numbers on the 14th of November, 1210 C.E. However, more developing news appeared as Emperor Baudouin began his invasion of Achaia, Even worse news for Augusthenes. With Euboia likely to be the next step in an invasion for Baudouin, Augusthenes needed to strike first. So less than three months following the conquest of Naxos, Augusthenes began an invasion of Euboia in February 1211 C.E. It would prove to be a difficult campaign for Augusthenes, with Euboia allied with the Kingdom of Epirus. However, thanks to the crucial war between Epirus and Venice, Augusthenes's hated enemy, it would actually prove to be fortuitous. By February of 1212 C.E., Euboia had become instituted within the Augusthenes' Empire.

At the end of 1212 C.E. The Latin Empire had taken hold of the Greek mainland. Augusthenes, devastated by this development, opted for a new strategy. At the beginning of the new year in 1213 C.E., Augusthenes approached a former enemy, Despot Michael of Epirus, with an offer for an alliance between the two states; as former Roman territory, the two were natural allies against Baudouin and his reckless expansion. This letter from Michael of Epirus to Augusthenes, highlighted the political marriage between two of their children as a sign of this alliance.

"I have heard your opportunity and find myself most agreeing with your assessment that divided we cannot hope to defeat that evil Baudouin. As such, my son, Ioannes, will most certainly adjoin himself to your seed, lady Margarita. Together, they will unite the two nations in alliance, just as my daughter Aikaterine will adjoin herself to your first-born son Basileos. Let both marriages be fruitful and long-lasting, just as both our nations last longer than Baudoin's French holdings in Roman lands."
- Despot Michael of Epirus, January 1213 C.E.
Michael.PNG

Shortly following the marriage between both families, Michael of Epirus died from poor health a month later in March of 1213 C.E. The heir of Epirus, now Despot, Ioannes, was too young to truly be an ally, but by obligation, the courts of Epirus made the alliance with Augusthenes' empire possible. Further positive news came further when Baudouin was reported to have declared war on Bulgaria, stressing his forces deeply and ultimately costing Baudouin dearly, as Bulgaria's allies defeated and destroyed Baudoin's forces thoroughly. Augusthenes looked upon these fortuitous events and knew it was a prelude to a major war between the two empires.

As time waned on and Augusthenes waited to hear the results of the war between Bulgaria and Baudoin's empire, political intrigue caused the alliance between Epirus and Augusthenes's empire to break down, which from certain records is shown to have made Augusthenes extremely upset, and it would be something from which he would hold a grudge for the rest of his life for. In 1217 C.E. Augusthenes suffered a horrible disease, thought to be food poisoning. During this time suffering from his disease, his efforts to further alienate Baudouin from his lands grew more successful, goading the man into a deep hatred. March of 1218 C.E. came, and finally, after several years of battle, Bulgaria had defeated and laid waste to Baudouin's army. With a strong army waiting in the wings, Augusthenes finally declared war on his mortal enemy; he knew that now, even without Epirus's help, he could succeed in bringing Constantinople back into Roman control...​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 3:

War had arrived between the two major political factions in the Aegean: The Nicene Empire and The Latin Empire. Two mortal enemies, moved by their hatred of one another, finally moved to combat. March of 1218 C.E. served as the beginning, both men assembling their armies. Emperor Baudouin was ill-prepared to serve another war, after having been decimated by the armies of Bulgaria to the North and forced to surrender to their will. Now, with Constantinople undefended, Augusthenes moved past the Bosporus Strait and began a siege of that glorious city. Though it pained him to be besieging his glorious home, he wrote to one of his close associates this letter in 1219 C.E.:

"Though it pains me deeply, it is necessary to pass the walls of great Theodosius and retake glorious Constantinople. I said in my life that I would see the city liberated by my hand, and I am on the precipice of this great and glorious achievement. In history, perhaps they shall sing the praise of my name for eternity, like the great Romans of past antiquity. Augustus, Trajan, Constantine, Augusthenes... I imagine my descendants will chronicle this moment for centuries to come as the rebirth of Rome..."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1219 C.E.
Augusthenes Old.PNG

Augusthenes proceeded with the war on a two-front attack. To the East, Augusthenes would assemble his major army and cross the Bosporus to beseige Constantinople itself, as well as the rest of Thracia. To the South, the Aegean isles would serve as a separate front into the Greek mainland, where Thebes would serve as the first seige. There would be a third prong to the war as well, as Doux Isaakios the Tenacious would battle for the small islands within the Aegean itself. All in all, a complex strategy for ancient warfare that appeared to serve as one of the first true cases of modern tactics in warfare. Following the conquest of Constantinople in August of 1219 C.E., Augusthenes divied up his main army and spread out towards Thracia, staying behind to attend to the conquered city. The war was far from over, but for Augusthenes, it was effectively only a matter of time before Baudouin begged for mercy.

However, the scale of the war quickly changed in November of 1219 C.E., as a new ally of Baudouin was assuaged to call to arms against Augusthenes' armies. Prince Bohemond IV of Antioch was a legendary crusader in his own right and a skilled tactician. Augusthenes' army would seemingly have to battle Bohemond's army in the course of the war to defend his homeland from the Eastern army. However, as a counter, Augusthenes arranged a betrothal in January 1220 C.E. between King Geraud of Cyprus and Margarita, his first-born daughter. Margarita was supposed to wed herself to King Ioannes of Epirus, but he had suddenly died from Plague in 1217 C.E. This proved to be an incredibly fortuitous circumstance for Augusthenes' legacy, as the new Queen of Epirus, Aikaterine, was betrothed to Augusthenes' first-born son Basileos. This meant that Basileos' son would not only inherit the Nicene Empire but the Kingdom of Epirus as well, conjoining the two titles.

With King Geraud of Cyprus as an ally (and Queen Aikaterine of Epirus making good on an alliance), it became apparent that the war between the Latin Empire and the Nicene Empire would become an extremely major conflict. Historians would go on to dub this war "The Great Nicene War", as nearly every major political faction in Christiandom was involved in this war. The reports of each participant were included here:
The Alliance of NicaeaThe Latin Alliance
The Nicene Empire
Nicene COA.PNG

The Kingdom of Epirus
Epirus COA.PNG

The Kingdom of Trebizond
Trebizond COA.PNG

The Kingdom of Cyprus
Cyprus COA.PNG

The Duchy of Armenia Minor
Armenia Minor.PNG

The Chiefdom of Hame
Hame COA.PNG

(Finnish Tribe, Joined War in 1221 C.E.)

Total Forces:

32.09K Troops
The Latin Empire
Latin Empire.PNG

The Principality of Antioch
Antioch COA.PNG

The Kingdom of Jerusalem
Jerusalem COA.PNG

The Kingdom of Georgia
Georgia COA.PNG

The Most Serene Republic of Venice
Venice COA.PNG

Total Forces:

21.89K Troops

This war would prove to be a deadly and costly campaign on all sides. However, numbers have been reportedly skewed towards the Latin Alliance's forces. Venice did not partake in land battles but protected its islands against the Nicene Alliance. Georgia was not only battling in the Great Nicene War but was battling against the Khwarezmid Empire. Their major forces were focused on that war instead. However, this does not take away the true scale of this war. All major Christian nations were at once battling for dominance in Greece, Anatolia, and the Levant.

Amazingly, allies from even across the continent came to the aid of the Nicene Empire as the war drew long in the tooth. In March 1221 C.E., Augusthenes' friend from Finnish lands, Chief Into of Hame, joined the war on behalf of his friend. By February 2022, the Antiochian front began for the Nicene Empire. With so much death and destruction faced by all of these nations, Augusthenes wrote in his personal diary how dire he felt the war was becoming:

"I had begun this war with a hope and prayer to our Lord Jesus Christ that it would abrogate a long and arduous campaign for the sake of my men and people. Sadly, we wander into Antioch and the homeland remains deeply undefended against the weakened Latin Empire. Perhaps this war was a terrible idea, but we are in the thick of it, and my allies have held themselves well against the onslaught of the Baudoin's alliance. My lifetime has been building to this moment, and victory for our alliance would truly etch the Hikesphoros dynasty into the echelons of Roman greatness."
-Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1222 C.E.
1641332627302.png

Personal tragedy struck for the Emperor as in May of 1222 C.E., his firstborn son Basileos died suddenly. It took a great emotional toll for Augusthenes, now well into his 50s. The war had drained Nicaea's finances, took a great toll on his troops, and now had cost him his beloved son. Augusthenes needed this war to end quickly. A third party ended up pushing Armenia Minor out of the war in February 1223 C.E., as the Sultanate of Rum conquered them. Now without an ally for which to move troops between their nation and Antioch, Augusthenes' main army was stuck between a rock and a hard place. They needed to win, and win now, to end this war against the Latin Empire.

The Sultanate of Rum, however, was still controlled by Augusthenes' personal friend, Kilij Arslan III. Arslan began to financially aid the Nicene Alliance and with these much-needed funds, it helped turn the tide of battle against Baudoin's Alliance. Finally... it happened. Antioch's capital, the last bastion of resistance against Augusthenes' alliance, broke. The war was all but over, now merely came the peace discussions. The Treaty of Constantinople, as it came to be known, reshaped the Eastern Mediterranean in favor of the Nicene Empire and their allies... As we understand the documents, the treaty forced the following:
The Nicene Empire:

- Gains All of Thracia, and the Counties of Adrianapolis & Phillipopolis
- The Principality of Antioch Becomes a Tributary
- The Kingdom of Georgia Becomes a Tributary

The Kingdom of Cyprus:

- Earns the Kingdom of Jerusalem

The Kingdom of Epirus:

- War Reparations From The Latin Empire

The Great Nicene War, which in truth had begun in 1216 C.E. between Cyprus and Jerusalem, had spanned six arduous years between all major factions. It had ended with the Kingdom of Jerusalem falling to Cyprus, Venice continuing to battle with Epirus in their own separate war, and for the Nicene Empire, the reconquest of Constantinople and former Roman Lands, and the subjugation of Antioch and Georgia as tributaries to Augusthenes' empire. The war had aged Augusthenes rapidly, and placed him in poor health... but his Empire was victorious.

Even with this victory, however, dark clouds formed as a great Jihad was called for Jerusalem. Just when Augusthenes had thought it was over, he knew that he would inevitably be called into war again. On the back of his greatest achievement, it was now up to Augusthenes and his broken alliance to pick up the pieces and battle a far more common enemy... the Muslims.

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
1204 C.E..png

hhhh.PNG

Part 4:

The Eastern Mediterranean had changed over the last 20 years. A major war between the Christian nations lasted over six years; the aftermath saw the Nicene Empire as the dominant Christian nation in the Balkans and Anatolia. However, there remained many threats. To the North, Bulgaria and Hungary appeared to be slowly encroaching upon territory that Augusthenes Hikesphoros deemed strategically important. To the West, the Holy Roman Empire controls Sicily, making a return to Italia for the true heirs of Rome a daunting task in of itself. The Western Flank still contained the Latin Empire, from whom Emperor Baudouin continued to hold the throne, though he had aged as rapidly as Augusthenes himself. To the East, the Sultanate of Rum was but a ticking time bomb waiting to explode and destroy the Nicene Empire, now that the Non-Aggression Treaty had passed. To the South, Egypt was in control of the Catholics for the first time in centuries but would seek to encroach into the allied territory of Jerusalem.

Whether Augusthenes had realized it or not, the Nicene Empire had now become the watchdog of the Eastern Mediterranean. Following the end of the Great Nicene War in March of 1224 C.E., Epirus had balked at the alliance and walked away from it, Queen Aikaterine seeking more independence for her kingdom. Armenia Minor had become subjugated by Rum during the course of the war, and Cyprus remained the only ally standing (save for those tributary marches). This singular alliance between Cyprus and Augusthenes' empire would be put to the test immediately as their weakened forces were tasked with stopping the great advance of a Muslim Jihad for Jerusalem.

Augusthenes' forces landed at Acre in September of 1224 C.E. to find the Muslims advance had already made impeccable progress. After some months besieging several Muslim-held forces, the two major armies met on the field of battle on the 2nd of March, 1225 C.E.; this battle became known to historians as "The Battle of Gaza". According to letters and dispatches, both by generals at the battle and from contemporary historians, the weakened Nicene Alliance were nearly defeated by the less numbered Muslim army; however, on the 10th day of the battle, a third army approached. Who could it have been? It was none other than Sultan Boutros, the Catholic Sultan of Egypt. They crashed into the Muslims from the South and forced them into retreat. Mayor Bosporios of Flaviupolis wrote to Augusthenes this letter shortly after the battle:

"... Like a great storm unsheathing from the mist, this mystery army descended from the hill, having been disguised by the natural formation of the rocks. They plowed into the Muslim army and with a cry of havoc, the Muslim numbers were decimated. When I approached one of the generals, they had told me that at the head of this army was none other than their Sultan: Boutros Morosini. My liege, I could not believe my eyes; despite our differences in interpretation of the Bible, these Catholics answered the call of Jesus Christ and Mother Mary to descend from what appeared to be a heavenly hill to save us. God bless Boutros and his army for rescuing our numbers in this time of need."
- Mayor Bosporios of Flaviupolis, 1225 C.E.
Bosporios.PNG

With Egypt's entrance into the Jerusalem Jihad, Augusthenes could better coordinate his forces. A sudden peasant revolt had sprung up in June of 1225 C.E., and with his main army in Jerusalem, Augusthenes was forced to seek out drastic measures. Suddenly, a stroke of luck came in the hands of his hated enemy: Venice. The Venetian army had been crossing Nicene territory as they happened to have been at war with the Seljuks of Rum. Their great army destroyed the peasant revolt, and incredibly, saved Augusthenes much effort from recalling his armies from Jerusalem.

Suddenly, in December of 1225 C.E., Antioch and the small Muslim Emirate of Halab began warring, throwing them into the Jihad for Jerusalem, but in a different fashion. The Principality of Antioch had believed that war for Halab land would make them more powerful for the sake of a weakened Nicene Alliance. With Jerusalem in safe hands against the Muslims thanks in part to the forces of the new Egyptian Queen, Claudia (Boutros' sister), Augusthenes ordered his army towards Antioch.

The forces of Trebizond, Nicaea, and Antioch met in the Antioch capital of Harenc in April of 1226 C.E. From there they moved onto the Halab capital of Aleppo. The next year, in February 1227 C.E., Augusthenes made a risky decision to personally bring a newly raised army towards Jerusalem itself, with the Aleppan front focused by subordinates with the main army. During this time, Augusthenes created an alliance with King Stefan of Serbia through the betrothal of Prince Ratsko of Serbia and Augusthenes' youngest daughter Viviana. Without Epirus as an ally, Serbia would serve as an applicable replacement.

Augusthenes arrived in Jerusalem by land in December of 1227 C.E. Historians believe that Augusthenes was personally afraid of the sea and thus never traveled by boat. Augusthenes' first taste of battle arrived the next month in the Battle of Darum, in which Augusthenes personally led his army to victory against the Muslim Jihadi. As a token of his victory, our sources indicate that the Emperor took a man from the Muslim army that had been captured; his name was Jahangir. Jahangir was taken directly to Augusthenes Hikesphoros and made an example of via violent blinding. Debate rages on as to whether this story is true or not; however, historian Scott Anderson mentions that there is anecdotal evidence to prove that this possibly happened:

"This is a story that has some merit to it, as Augusthenes was unusually cruel later in his life, blinding opponents in the ancient tradition of Roman culture. It is very likely that the Jahangir story is made up, but it's also likely to be allegorical in nature, highlighting Augusthenes' ruthless efficiency in leading his troops. Make of the story what you will."
- Scott Anderson, 2022 C.E.

Bad news struck Augusthenes in June of 1228 C.E., with the armies in the Aleppan front having been defeated by the army of Sultan Nur Arlsan of the Zengi Sultanate, further hampering the war effort in the North. He personally moved his army in the Jerusalem front towards the Aleppan front immediately, knowing that losing the Eastern front would be a disaster. The two armies combined and met against the Muslim army in May of 1229 C.E. Contemporary sources highlight that Augusthenes, even in his late age, was active in the battle, at one point battling a commander of the Muslim army in a duel. Augusthenes, naturally because of his innate Roman luck, was victorious. One final story of Augusthenes' leadership in the Jerusalem Jihad appeared to be when faced by his own men. After seiging the city of Asas, his men began to kill and pillage indiscriminately. Augusthenes personally oversaw the punishment of these perpetrators of chaos, proving to all that he would not be trifled with and would not tolerate ill-discipline.

Sadly, the Eastern front would be lost after Prince Bohemond of Antioch was captured by the armies of Sultan Nur Arslan, forcing victory for the Aleppan army in June of 1230 C.E. This left the Eastern flank weakened... Augusthenes and his alliance needed to end this war, and fast. To make matters worse, Trebizond would have their own civil war happening, making things much harder. Augusthenes forced his army on the march to arrive in Tripolitania by the new year of 1231 C.E. Now on the offensive, Augusthenes' army wreaked havoc upon Muslim lands... With the conquest of Tripoli, the Jihad was over for the Muslims. Augusthenes had finally ended the war in September of 1231 C.E. According to his personal diary, Augusthenes was relieved to have this long war over with.

"After so many years of war, our armies stand victorious. What began as disparate nations battling one another for control of the Eastern Meditteranean, became a truly united front against Muslim invaders. I dearly hope that this Alliance lasts after my death, but perhaps with peace those alliances can continue to last. I eagerly await to see the glorious city again and rule in a time of peace. God willing, we Romans will see peace in this time..."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1232 C.E.
1641437415650.png

For almost his entire reign, Augusthenes had been in some war or another. He did all of this to protect his people from his enemies. His reign had seen the Aegean Isles reconstituted, Constantinople brought back into Roman hands, many kingdoms vowing to bend their knee to Augusthenes, and finally, successful protection of his own allies. Now, in his late years, he would see some modicum of peace... or so he thought. On the return to Constantinople, the unthinkable happened. Kilij Arslan III had passed away. With the death of his friend, Augusthenes knew that now nothing would stop the Sultanate of Rum from mounting an invasion of the Nicene Empire... their first step would come in the sudden invasion of Trebizond. There would be no rest for Augusthenes Hikesphoros, the heir of Rome whom through warfare would etch his name in history...​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 5:

Augusthenes Hikesphoros, Basileus of the Nicene Empire, had spent his entire career desperately hoping that a war against the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum could be avoided. It was simply not to be. The last 20 years for the Nicenes and Augusthenes had seen so many young men dying on the field of battle in major wars. This would serve to be the ultimate test, however, as the Seljuks, now lead by the son of Augusthenes' friend Kilij Arslan III, would invade Trebizond itself. Duty-bound to protect his tributaries, and to protect fellow heirs of Rome itself, Augusthenes entered the war against the Sultanate. For his entire life, he had always had the advantage in terms of numbers and strategy... now, he was facing an overwhelming enemy that he wasn't sure he could defeat.

Augusthenes' army, 15.7k strong, ventured into Trebizondian lands by February of 1232 C.E. There would be a second army to meet up with the main army, that of the mercenary group known as the Pecheneg Band. Together, they would move upon the army of Rum, now 20k strong. This upcoming battle would be the one to decide the fate of both nations. Defeat for the Nicene Empire would be a devastating and possibly fatal blow to the reign of Augusthenes, who had never lost a battle he was involved with. The Emperor would lead the army against the Sultanate and on October 2nd, 1233 C.E. Both armies clashed like great titans. In the Battle of Rizaion, Augusthenes' army claimed victory over the Muslims. In his journal, the emperor himself mentioned the enormity of importance this battle entailed.

"In other wars, I had been fighting for prestige and for glory. This war entails much more. For the first time in my long life, this is not a war for glory. This is a war for the safety of the future. Victory here will weaken the Seljuk state and open up our armies to conquer our ancestral lands. This is a war for survival."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1233 C.E.
1641519095504.png

This victory proved to embolden Augusthenes's Alliance, as King Geraud of Jerusalem declared a Holy War for the rest of Muslim-held Jerusalem, bringing Augusthenes into yet another front. In the second major battle of the Trebizondian front, the Battle of Chaldea, Augusthenes massacred the Seljuk army, decimating their numbers, which had shrunk from 16k men to a mere 11k, further downwards to 7k. Augusthenes then split his army in half and moved one half towards Jerusalem, to aid Geraud. This second army arrived in Jerusalem by October 1234 C.E., engaging the enemy in battle in November.

During this war, Augusthenes' second-born son and living heir, Kallinikos of Lesbos, had come of age (16). The emperor saw his son and heir as something special, a man who could potentially bring the Empire to greater heights than thought possible. Kallinikos was according to sources, had an equal talent for administration as he did war (adopted obviously from his father). Augusthenes saw fit to place Kallinikos in charge of the Jerusalemite front, which ended months later in March 1235 C.E. By December of 1235 C.E., the Trebizondian front had ended, with glorious victory for the Nicene Alliance.

Finally, perhaps finally, Augusthenes could rest easy, with the realm finally in peace. Augusthenes returned to Constantinople, to a great ovation as a peace-bringer and restorer of Roman virtues within the city. The Seljuks were weakened, Jerusalem, the city itself, was in the hands of Christians, and the Latin Empire to the West was a ghost of what it once was. The following years after all the wars was marked by a period of relative prosperity for the Nicene Empire. With the Seljuks licking their wounds, and the Bulgarians having forced Baudouin to pay tribute, it appeared that all enemies of Augusthenes would not bother him for the rest of his life. In a dispatch to his father, Kallinikos of Lesbos wrote:

"... It would appear that all your conquests and warring had produced such great effects for the region of the Balkans, Anatolia, and the Levant. The Eastern Meditteranean is, due to your efforts, safe at last; succeeding you will be the most difficult measure that I must experience in my lifetime. What you have done for this Empire will continue long after my own reign."
- Kallinikos of Lesbos, 1236 C.E.
Kallinikos.PNG

Additional positive news for the Nicene Empire came in the form of a great Seljuk civil war, from which the rebels were funded by Venice, who also sought to break free from the financial hold created by the Sultanate of Rum. Something felt off with Augusthenes though... all the years of war seemed to have worn on him, and he became quicker to drink and lustful activity to dull the imagery of war that supposedly plagued him. In February 1237 C.E., Augusthenes Hikesphoros's wife, Basilissa Rikissa, passed away after 30 long years of marriage. Augusthenes mourned the death of his beloved wife for months after the fact but knew that it was time to marry anew, despite his advanced age. His new bride would be a young Nubian princess named Theophania Azim. According to documents, they married on the 2nd of September, 1237 C.E.

Some years later a grand tournament was held in honor of Augusthenes becoming 70 years old in the Summer of 1240 C.E., which also coincided with his 37th year as Basileus of the Nicene Empire. The tournament would see a man by the name of Rorgon of Lesbos victorious in this great and glorious tournament. Also during this time, Augusthenes' fourth son, Phillipos Hikesphoros, was born. According to rumors and anecdotal evidence, it was supposed that a blazing streak of light in the night sky (most likely a comet or meteor) had fallen the night it was announced that Basilissa Theophania was pregnant. Augusthenes, a deeply religious man, heeded this as an omen that this son would strive for greatness.

It would be a truly peaceful period of time that would come crashing down in March of 1242 C.E., as the Christiano-Muslim tension would start anew. The Principality of Antioch, and their liege, Prince Petros, would declare war on the Emirate of Halab. Though this would have been a minor war all things considered, the Muslims had learned from the Great Nicene War and would make allies with other distrustful nations. The Sultanate of Rum, having taken the time after the war with the Nicene Empire to regroup their forces, joined this war on behalf of their allies. Though their numbers were no longer as threatening as they were before, it was still a threat to the people of Antioch, which Augusthenes and his army was duty-bound to protect by law. Once again, a great conflagration made by minor issues was made into another great war... as the circle of life in Augusthenes' reign continues. However, Augusthenes was simply in too poor of health to truly lead the armies, leaving it to his son Kallinikos of Lesbos.

It doesn't come easy for the heirs of Rome.​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
1242.png

(Dark Red Serbia is actually Croatia, historian Scott Anderson apologizes profusely for this massive blunder)

Part 6:

We return to the scene of the Eastern Meditteranean in the year 1242 C.E., and in the region became gripped in the clutches of yet another major war, as the Principality of Antioch declared a holy war against the Halab emirate for several plots of land. Suddenly, the Sultanate of Rum joined, and duty-bound, Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 71 years old and having reigned as the Emperor of the Roman Nicenes for 38 years, also joined on the side of Antioch. By May 1242 C.E., all of Hikesphoros' military might was gathered and they set sail to Antiochian lands. In his old age, Hikesphoros was simply too weak to join his army, leaving commanding up to his eldest son: Kallinikos of Lesbos. Kallinikos was a somewhat capable military commander himself and it is shown in Hikesphoros' confidence in him.

"I know my son is not quite so experienced as I have been, but he has picked up much of what I taught him, and I know that there is the potential for great military victories for him. Though I am weak in body, I yet remain strong in mind, and I know talent when I see it."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1242 C.E.
Augusthenes Old.PNG

Nicene troops landed in Tripoli by August 1242 and already Antioch had seemed to be in major trouble. Not only that, the Kingdom of Jerusalem had also been waging war with their Muslim neighbors. Two fronts, yet again for Hikesphoros to deal with. The combined armies of Antioch and Nicaea met the Muslim armies, whom both outclassed and outnumbered the Christian armies. It was by the miracle of Kallinikos' leadership that not only did the Nicene Alliance survive, but achieved a monumental victory on Christmas Day, 1242 C.E. This led the Muslim invaders to retreat, giving Kallinikos' army ample time to conquer more lands.

Outside of the Eastern Meditteranean, the Christian nations to the West had all been battling one another for some time... but the Pope, seeing this, and seeing the danger of the Sultanate of Rum now, declared a Crusade for Anatolia, the lands of the Seljuk Turks, and most of all, lands of Hikesphoros' people, the Romans. While Hikesphoros watched the East, so as to see the results of this war, he was ignorant of the West's activities until it was too late, and now they may be coming to bring another foreign power in the Eastern Meditteranean.

In April of 1243 C.E., after another major battle between the Nicene Alliance and Muslim invaders, Kallinikos' army had happened across the camp of Emir Adil of Halab. An incredibly lucky strike for the Nicene Alliance that effectively ended the Antiochian front. Now, Kallinikos could focus his army on the Jerusalemite campaign. The Nicene army headed southward towards Egypt and Abbysinnian lands... however news came that that front had been declared over, as Jerusalem had won on that front. Peace at last, and it took even less time than expected. Now with the crusade for Anatolia, Hikesphoros could allow the Nicene Empire some peace and mind, and wait out the situation.

During this time, Hikesphoros expanded the infrastructure of the courts, rewriting several laws to allow a more centralized government, which of course gave the crown of the Nicene Empire more power individually. He also worked to expand hospitals across his empire, seeing healthcare as an important step towards the defeat of his enemies in the future. Finally, he began building a new castle for his youngest son, Phillipos. Phillipos, as a matter of fact, would be married to the Princess of Bulgaria, Snezhana. This in turn would bring forth an alliance between Bulgaria and the Nicene Empire; though the Romans were known for their hatred of the Bulgarians, Augusthenes was a pragmatist at heart, and saw the opportunity to continue to grow the Nicene Alliance. He also reaffirmed an alliance with Serbia. In the end, the Nicene Alliance, by 1245 C.E. looked akin to this:
The Nicene Alliance (1245 C.E.)
Nicene COA.PNG
The Nicene Empire (1204 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)
Trebizond COA.PNG
The Kingdom of Trebizond (1209 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)
Jerusalem.PNG
The Sultanate of Jerusalem (1220 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)

Antioch COA.PNG
The Principality of Antioch (1224 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)
Georgia COA.PNG
The Kingdom of Georgia (1224 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)
Egypt.PNG
The Kingdom of Egypt (1225 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)

Serbia.PNG
The Kingdom of Serbia (1244 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)
Bulgaria.PNG
The Kingdom of Bulgaria (1244 C.E. - 1245 C.E.)

With all these new alliances, it was only a matter of time before a war came yet again to the Nicene Empire. In the West, Serbia was dealing with a holy war by the iconoclasts of Lychnidos, and to the East, Antioch engaged in yet another war of conquest against the Muslims. For Augusthenes Hikesphoros, it never rains, but it pours...

1245.png

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 6:

11th of January, 1245 C.E., the sun rises in the East as war returns to the Eastern Mediterranean. Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 74 years old, looked upon his Roman Empire and saw the good that he had done for over thirty years. Constantinople was back in the hands of the Romans, and an alliance was forged with all major Christian powers in the region. Now all that was left for Augusthenes Hikesphoros was to settle one more regional war and hope that peace would last through the rest of his days. A war on two fronts plagued the region; Doux Thomas of Lychnidos has pressed a claim unto the King of Serbia, Stefan II. Stefan II asked for Augusthenes to undergo a measure of intervention to prevent the heathen Iconoclasts from overtaking his Catholic kingdom, which would be worse for Augusthenes's Orthodox holdings.
"... I have but no doubt that those heathenous villains that dwell in Lychnidos would prefer if they could swarm upon us and overtake our lands in the name of their terrible religious practices, that I know even you find reprehensible and barbaric beyond reproach. I ask thee to send an army for aid and we shall reward you justly great Hikesphoros."
- King Stefan Nemanjic II of Serbia, 1245 C.E.
Stefan II.PNG

In the East, Antioch pressed their sacred and holy vows to beat back the Muslims by attempting to push into that historically significant plot of land known to the Romans as Palmyra. This was met with aggression by many regional Muslim rulers, thus bringing the Nicene Alliance back into the war against them. Augusthenes sent the majority of his army towards the East, while a still sizable contingent went West to deal with the heretical Iconoclasts.

On the trek West, Augusthenes's commander Hierotheos quickly lettered a dispatch to Augusthenes detailing a major development within the Latin Empire's lands; a revolution of sorts had occurred within their lands some areas had garnered their independence, one such plot of land held by the lady of Thessalonika, Aikaterine Fokas. Not of relation to those Roman Phokas, Aikaterine nonetheless felt that despite being Catholic, her realm would serve better under the banner of the Roman successors... A negotiated settlement would be swift to bring Aikaterine safely under the wing of Roman supremacy, and with it, another ancient land of Rome would be attained.

The Western troops arrived in Lychnidos by June 1245 C.E., and their war would quietly rage as they merely sieged cities in the region until the heretical Iconoclasts. Meanwhile, in July 1245 C.E., the Eastern army finally arrived in Antioch and met with the Antiochian army, which had been beaten nearly into submission, only 2000 strong by the time the Romans arrived. Now with a combined 12k troops approximately, they encountered the 13k strong Muslim contingent at the battle of Emessa. It would end disastrously for the Nicene Alliance as overwhelming numbers defeated their troops and forced a shattered retreat. This defeat, upon reaching Constantinople, left a sizable hole in Augusthenes' army, and with it, a desperate need to fill the troops to prevent defeat. On October 4, 1245 C.E., Augusthenes Hikesphoros called for all regional armies to assemble so that they may venture Eastward to stem the tide of the war.
"I admit that in these times of war, the sacrifice of men for the sake of our future seems daunting, but know that it is for our allies that we raise them up so that they may join our fold later. We Romans have a duty to ourselves to survive and strive, and most of all, win in the face of great danger. Would we shame our ancestors if we were to cower now in the face of a minor setback? Nay, I tell you, we will rise again, just as Rome did against that Hannibal, just as they did against the Gallic peoples, and just as we continue to do even now. Bring me your youth so that they will fight to preserve our way of life."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1245 C.E.
Augusthenes Old.PNG

In January 1246 C.E., the Western armies finally moved into Serbia as news of Iconoclastic victories grew concerning. The army smashed the Lychnidosian army and sent them back to their land scattered and broken. Meanwhile, news returned to Augusthenes Hikesphoros. The Rumite Muslims had been defeated by the ongoing Crusade... he now faced an entirely new threat, that of the Italian Anatolian Kingdom. By May, the troops that had been called up in emergency finally arrived in Antioch and were on the March against the Muslim forces that had preoccupied themselves with sieging Antiochian cities. Now nearly 9000 strong, they had become aware that Muslim forces had begun taking drastic losses. It was their chance to take the fight back.

Sadly, on June 1, 1246 C.E., Prince Kallinikos Hikesphoros, the secondborn son of Basileus Augusthenes Hikesphoros "The Wise" and heir to the throne, died suddenly from Camp Fever (today known as Epidemic Typhus). Augusthenes had now seen two of his adult heirs pass away long before him, but there was hope. After all... Kallinikos had two grandchildren, and one by the laws of this land, the eldest would inherit the throne. Augusthenes would dote over his 7-year old Grandson and new heir: Prince Alexandros Hikesphoros of Lesbos.

Late July 1246 C.E.: The revived Nicene Army and the Muslims engaged in the battle of Emessa, and through sheer fortitude and luck, they had somehow managed to capture the head of the army, Emir Hussayn of the Saudid Emirate, that whom Antioch had waged their war with. By September 1246 C.E., the Muslims surrendered, and Palmyra belonged to Antioch. Augusthenes' armies could finally return home, though beaten and battered, victorious. A month later, the Western armies declared victory over the Iconoclastic Lychnidosians.

After so many years of war, and a hard struggle to bring the Roman successors back to relevancy, Augusthenes Hikesphoros "The Wise" had done just that, and with one final victory under his belt, he knew he could finally rest. Not just rest for the rest of his reign, but truly "rest". In Augusthenes' final dispatch, addressed to his people of Nicaea, those Romans that somehow survived and strived, he wrote:
"I must admit to my people that I had not known how far we as a nation would come from the disastrous fall of Constantinople over 30 years ago, but we have become a more united group than in centuries past, with decadent decline tailing us wherever we walked. Now, in my final breaths, I must confess the sin of pride for our abilities to survive and strive. Rome will rise again, sadly, not in my lifetime, for the ravages of time has caught up to this aged body of mine. I know not the future of we Roman peoples, but if I have set the precedent for its course, then we are in the good hands of my descendants for a long time to come. All hail Rome! All hail the Hikesphoros! and All Hail God's infinite wisdom."
- Augusthenes Hikesphoros, 1247 C.E.
Augusthenes Old.PNG

Basileus Augusthenes "The Wise" Hikesphoros
(16 May, 1170 C.E. - 11 April, 1247 C.E.)

His Successor...

Alexandrios.PNG

Basileus Alexandros Hikesphoros
(26 November, 1238 - )

1247.png

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 7:

We return to the past in the year 1247 C.E., as Augusthenes Hikesphoros "The Wise", Basileus of the Nicene Empire, Savior of the Roman Culture, and the Liberator of Constantinople, died at the age of 76. The title of Basileus, and the Nicene Empire, passed down to that of his eldest grandson, Basileus Alexandros Hikesphoros, a child at the time. This time before Alexandros's adulthood was known as the Regency of Daniel of Madyta, who was among Augusthenes' most trusted associates. Under his care, we begin our story...

The first few years of Alexandros Hikesphoros's reign were filled with him escaping assassination attempts that threatened the stability of the Nicene Empire. One story tells of a local huntsman having been paid to kill the young Emperor, but he confessed his crime and begged for mercy before the attempt, admitting his wrongdoing. The perpetrator of this assassination plot was never revealed, at least then. Another story tells of a snake found in his chambers at night; it was discovered and killed before the young Basileus could be killed from its venom. Indeed, it appeared that following the death of Augusthenes Hikesphoros, the shaky alliances had begun to crumble and fall as the Nicene Empire fell back into the old Roman habits of plots and political intrigue. It would take a lot for Regent Daniel of Madyta, named Magister Equitem (Master of the Horse) by young Alexandros, to keep the emperor safe until he came of age.

Luckily, help would come in the form of a politically important betrothal for the young Emperor, one deemed too important for political enemies to end. Queen Claudia II "The Lionheart" Doria of Egypt was coming of age soon, and as a woman of the time, she had many political enemies herself. After much deliberation and discussion, it was agreed that there would be a royal union between the two nations. With Egypt as a permanent ally, at least for the time being, Daniel of Madyta sought to bring some prestige to the young Alexandros' name, and what better way than to aid their ally in a Holy War against the Muslims? After all, his grandfather was notable for never being defeated, and if Alexandros could at least continue that legacy, it would cement his legitimacy in that position. A letter from Daniel of Madyta thus written...
"... I admit that throwing our lot in with the Catholics may seem unpopular at first, but this marriage would give we Romans control of Egypt once more, and with it, control of the Eastern Mediterranean. We must defend our allies in Egypt, not just for the sake of my master, Alexandros, but for the sake of the future of us Romans. I made a vow to Augusthenes to protect Alexandros with my life, and I intend to do my duty until the very end, that is why he named me lord regent, and why young Alexandros granted me such a glorious position as Magister Equitem."
- Daniel of Madyta, 1247 C.E.

Daniel of Madyta.PNG

After a year of strenuous peace (at least inside the Northeastern Mediterranean, war came to the Nicene Alliance as a revolt in Georgia led to troops being moved by Daniel of Madyta, this was Alexandros' first taste of war during his reign. On June 12, 1249 C.E., the troops moved Eastward towards Georgian land to face off against the army of Ishkanik, a traitor to his nation whose anti-Roman sentiment sought him to assemble a veritable mob and attempt to overthrow the standing government in order to free themselves from Roman influence. At the same time, Muslims had begun to carry the upper hand in Egypt, leading Daniel of Madyta to send forces towards the Kingdom of the Nile. At home, unrest began to brew over the various wars that the Romans had suddenly found themselves, and it was through this that rumors of possible revolts began to creep up.

It was also during this time that young Alexandros began to suffer from a terrible bout of Slow Fever (known today as Typhoid Fever) in April of 1250 C.E.. The physicians of Constantinople scrambled to keep the young Alexandros relatively comfortable and healthy, as the hospitals and clinics of Constantinople, under Roman control, were among the most reputable in the world, better than those of Rome, Bagdhad, and the fabled lands of the Far East. It was hopeful, but they needed to keep their young Emperor alive.

By June of that year, Egypt had finally snuffed out the Muslim advance and forced retreat; and a few months later, the Georgian traitor Ishkanik was imprisoned by King Adarnase of Georgia. Peace returned to the region, and Alexandros could focus on healing. By next year, it had turned from Slow Fever into Dysentery, a deadly and destructive disease that killed many people every year. It was a gruesome and terrifying time for many, as they waited with sweat and fear over the news of whether their Basileus would live or die from the disease. By July 1251 C.E., Alexandros would return to the public eye in good health, and good spirits. Not only had he beaten Slow Fever, but Dysentery as well in the span of a year. Many saw this as a sign of things to come. The internal machinations of the Nicene Empire however would come to a head afterward...

Antioch had begun yet another campaign in an attempt to capture Edessa from the Turkish Rumite Muslims, those that had been beaten and devastated years earlier by the Crusaders of Western Europe. Daniel of Madyta answered the call and gathered his armies to the Rumite lands for conquest. At the same time, Queen Claudia II of Egypt was seeing a revolt of her own, which Daniel of Madyta also answered the call to. With two major fronts to face, and young Alexandros Hikesphoros still yet to come of age, it was a dangerous ledge that Daniel was inching closer and closer towards. With unrest in Roman lands already, too many losses of military numbers would prove disastrous not only for the prestige of Alexandros but for the potential future of the Nicene Empire.

It all came to a head in July of 1253 C.E. as the lords and underlings of Alexandros Hikesphoros and Daniel of Madyta declared an open revolt against those Romans who had not 30 years before, reconquered Constantinople and brought legitimacy back into the light of Rome. Though the Muslims had beaten Alexandros, it was due to the lack of support from those at home in Roman lands. Those that declared themselves better than the glorious Hikesphoros dynasty. They would find themselves suffering under the brutal impression of their traitorous lies and their punishment swift. Alexandros and Daniel of Madyta did not simply stand idle during these times of war... Augusthenes Hikesphoros had been truly wise, as he amassed a respectable fortune in case of a rainy day, and it was with these funds that Daniel of Madyta sent for a quality detachment of mercenaries from Bulgaria. These mercenaries were loyal to gold, and Romans had plenty to spare.
"It is not lost on me that we buy the military might of those Bulgarians who long ago entrenched themselves into ancestral Roman lands, but these are dark times, and whatever can one do in dark times but call for desperate measures? Those that turn their faces against us will learn of the might of the Hikesphoros, and young Alexandros will prove himself to be far less forgiving than his beloved grandfather. Having stayed with the child for a long time, I know that he will give them a punishment worthy of treason."
- Daniel of Madyta, 1253 C.E.

Daniel of Madyta.PNG

More terrible news came in February 1254 C.E., a Muslim Jihad had been declared for Egypt. With as terrifying news for the Hikesphoros dynasty. Without Egypt in their back pocket, they would be with less power in the long term. It was a scramble against the clock. Alexandros had learned quickly that things would not be easy. His coming of the age of 16 in 1254 C.E. finally allowed him to fully take over the Nicene Empire. His first few measures of responsibility were to finalize the marriage with Queen Claudia II of Egypt and to defeat those traitors of the Romans. A stroke of virtuous and glorious luck came at the dawning of this new era, as Anthimos, the leader of the traitors, was killed by Alexandros's troops during the Battle of Nicaea on December 9, 1254 C.E., This effectively won Alexandros the war, and with it, he could focus on protecting his wife's holdings in Egypt. Tragically, Alexandros' newlywed wife, Queen Claudia II of Egypt, had passed away, leaving him now unable to gain the alliance of those Egyptian lands long-term. It was back to square one for Alexandros Hikesphoros...​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
1255.png

Part 8:

Our story begins in April of 1255, with the Basileus of the Nicene Empire, Alexandros Hikesphoros, grandson of Augusthenes, coming of age and now in control of his glorious Roman realm. Much has changed since the days of Augusthenes, 8 years before. Internal divisions tug at the thread of revolt and whispers of treason run through the capital of Constantinople. Tributaries of the Romans find themselves in need of aid more and more often during their own battles, and the allies of old seek not the aid of those Roman successors once more. It felt like a dangerous time, but if there was anyone who could pull through and keep the Nicaeans together... it was Alexandros.

Alexandrios Adult.PNG

Alexandros Hikesphoros
(Αλέξανδρος Χικεσφόρος)

Alexandros Hikesphoros was both like and unlike his grandfather. He exhibited an ambitious and wise mind filled with ideals poured into him by both his father and grandfather, but was less social, more trusting of the people in general. His club-foot was seen as a horrific defect that made him a less capable commander of the field, but he was smart enough to leave it to his commanders. Perhaps his greatest asset was his stewardship, his abilities as an administrator of the realm. Though a young man of 16 years of age, he had potential; the kind of potential to match his grandfather's legacy. All he needed was a little luck and some prestige.

The first state of affairs was finding a new wife. After all, young Queen Claudia II of Egypt died suddenly just after marrying. If Alexandros could not have the Queen of Egypt, then he would simply have to find another. There in Egypt, he heard of another bachelorette, a Duchess of lands held within Egypt itself. Duchess Andali af Bjalbo of Praetonium. She would make a fine wife for young Alexandros. Though she was ten years younger and not yet of age, Alexandros knew that their marriage could potentially give Romans land in Egypt, a much-needed necessity in order to expand their lands and take back what is rightfully theirs.

The second order of business was several wars cropping up. First was the Jihad for Egypt, a terrifying situation regardless of whether the alliance between Rome and Egypt had broken down. If Muslims controlled Egypt once more, it would create a significantly worse situation for the Nicene Empire... then there was an invading army in Trebizond, that of a warrior named Alp Yurek Kasid; he was a Muslim commander seeking glory and titles for his own, and by taking Trebizond, it would seem to be his ticket. Alexandros needed to prevent this no matter what. Thirdly, Georgia had entered a war with the Khwarezmid Sultanate, Muslim Persians in the East. The Persians were known to be vicious historical enemies of the Romans for over a Milennia; Alexandros, having been taught in the histories of Rome, knew that a victory against them would legitimize his reign to those who understood the achievement. Which to tackle first though?

"I must admit I know the stakes of this battle. I am low on supplies, manpower, and support from my own people. There are three fronts in which my armies are needed. In Egypt, what is at stake is the long-term stability of the region. Muslims regaining control of Egypt would invariably be terrible for we Romans, but it would be a later threat... in Georgia, a victory against the Persians would immediately boost morale and bring some sense of stability at home, but it is not a necessary battle to indulge my majority of forces in. The battle in Trebizond is the closest war. Should the Muslims overtake our tributary lands there, they will inevitably knock on our door and wage war in our own lands. Egypt is the future threat, Georgia is the optional threat, but Trebizond is the immediate threat."
- Alexandros Hikesphoros, 1255 C.E.
Alexandrios Adult.PNG

Alexandros assembled a primary contingent in May of 1255 C.E. while the rest of his armies assembled. 7000 men arrived in Trebizondian lands by September and met with the main army of Despot Bohemond of Trebizond. Their army was shattered and disorganized, less than 2000 men strong, while reports told of Alp Yurek's forces numbering in the equal numbers of the Romans. It would be a close battle until the rest of the armies assembled in Rome. By 1256 C.E., another 2000 men had assembled in Constantinople and were sent to guard the border between Trebizond and the Nicene Empire, in case Alp Yurek's forces were reported moving towards Kastamon. The combined Roman and Trebizondian armies waited at the river in Amisos, knowing that attempting a river crossing would be disastrous in January. Their duty was to wait until Alp Yurek's forces moved.

It was a stalemate for several months. Neither army attempted to make moves, and this was what Alexandros had been hoping for. In order to shore up more men for his military, he needed to stall these wars out as much as he could. After all, back in Constantinople, there was still political unrest afoot and the possibility of a revolt was a legitimate fear. Alp Yurek surely knew that his army was boxed in, and his holdings, though by the sea, could not hold forever.

Trebizond War1.PNG

- Artist depiction of Trebizondian War circa March 1256 C.E.

Alp Yurek's army finally moved Southwest in April of 1256 C.E., towards Rumite lands still held following the Crusade. After moving out of Sinope, the Border Army and the Main Army were instructed to congregate into Sinope and reconquer the held cities of Alp Yurek's army. This was accomplished in less than a month's time, an impressive degree all things considered. After several months of Fabian tactics, a cat-and-mouse chess game of sorts, Alp Yurek's army finally engaged in a battle in Kerasous. Little under 10k men under Rome battled against Alp Yurek's 7000 men on a mountainside, which Yurek was noticeably exceptional at. The Battle of Herakleopolis ended in the defeat of Alp Yurek's army decisively, killing 2000 men and crippling Alp Yurek's effectiveness. On the 9th of July, 1257 C.E., Alp Yurek ceded defeat and was executed a month later. It was a resounding victory for Alexandros' army, and a shot in the arm needed after losing to the Muslims years earlier.

Back at home, factionalism grew to dangerous heights. A conspiracy faced the Empire as a group of high-ranking magistrates and rulers began to publicly call for the installation of a cousin of Alexandros Hikesphoros to the throne. Duchess Eustathia of Paphlagonia, though not a Hikesphoros, was related to Alexandros by blood. This conspiracy needed to be quashed, and fast. In October of 1257 C.E., Alexandros met with Eustathia and negotiated an agreement for an unknown sum of money. The terms of these negotiations have been lost to time, but it is assumed that Eustathia's claim to the throne disappeared shortly afterward.

Of course, yesterday's allies may turn into today's enemies... and that lesson was learned by Alexandros after the shocking news of the Jerusalemite Catholic army crossing into Antioch and attacking Rome's tributary state. It was seen as a betrayal, even by those of the Orthodox faith. With a replenished army, Alexandros assembled it and sent them towards the Principality of Antioch Post-Haste. During this time, news reached Constantinople of the worst-case scenario... Egypt had been conquered by the Abbasid Caliphate; it was a devastating blow to the Eastern Mediterranean, and in the eyes of Alexandros Hikesphoros, a terrible happenstance. As a consequence, his betrothed no longer held power in lands in Egypt. She was no longer of use to him. Instead of looking towards the rest of the region, Alexandros turned to the West... to those false-Romans who claim to be "holy". Engeltraud von Hohenstaufen was a German princess of similar age to that of Alexandros, and she was the daughter of the "Kaiser" of Germany. It made sense, at least politically.

In July of 1258 C.E., Alexandros' armies entered Antioch and attacked Jerusalem's army in Archa. 9000 men crashed into the lines of the woefully weak 3000 men, and decimated the army... during the battle, the Roman commanders found he who was at the head of the army... The King of Jerusalem himself: Abdul Razzaq de Lusignan, cousin of Alexandros. A masterstroke by Alexandros' army, led to the swift and immediate end of the Antiochian-Jerusalemite War.

Following a long year of peace, in which many ideas of revolt and factionalism began to die down, Alexandros saw a major development across the Aegean sea... one of his own vassals, Manuel Laskaris, waged a war against the evil and corrupt Latin Empire for the lands of Hellas, known today as Eastern Greece. This was Alexandros' chance to continue what his grandfather had started. Alexandros mobilized his armies, which had replenished further from 9000 to 12k men. Alexandros split the army into two contingents and set them forth towards Greece. The biggest fear for Alexandros was the entry of the Latin Empire's suzerain Bulgaria into the war. It was a game of waiting and seeing how things would turn out...​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Part 9:

We come back to our story in July of 1259, where the Romans have once again waged war with those blasted and corrupted Catholic French holders of Greece. Basileus Alexandros Hikesphoros had received word that his vassal Strategos Manuel Laskaris "The Ill-Ruller" of the Aegean Isles had declared war against Emperor Baudouin II "The Silent" of the Latin Empire. Baudouin II was but the nephew of Augusthenes Hikesphoros's mortal enemy Baudouin "The Tyrant". Alexandros's armies moved West into Franco-Greek lands, seeking to conquer those major Macedonian cities first before sweeping south into the Latin army.

By July 1260, most of the Northern Franco-Greek lands were conquered by the Roman armies, and the first major battle between Baudouin II's army and Alexandros' army ended in victory for the Romans. Baudouin's 6500 men attacked Alexandros' 4000 men (led by Propokia of Klokoknitsa) sieging the city of Thessaloniki. News traveled to the nearby army of Methodios of Rhoas, about 5500 men strong. Though Propokia's army held strong, they were on the verge of collapse and ruin after a month of vicious battle when Methodios arrived in the nick of time to save the Roman contingent. Baudouin's army, 6500 men strong at the onset of the battle, fell to a haggard 1000 men post-battle. It was a decisive victory if ever there was one, and opened the way for the Romans to force peace upon the French in February of 1261. Following this, Alexandros sought to reward one of his most loyal vassals, the governor of the Aegean Isles. To wit, Alexandros officially declared Manuel Laskaris as the Exarch of Greece.

"For your many years of service, both under me and under my grandfather, the beloved Augusthenes Hikesphoros, I bestow the great honor of governorship of the entirety of Greece. It is most deserved and worthy of a man of your post, who has served since near the beginning of my Grandfather's name. Your legacy will ring all over the streets of Constantinople."
- Alexandros Hikesphoros, March 1261 C.E.
Alexandrios Adult.PNG

With Greece mostly under the control of the Romans once more, Alexandros could look further West, to his immediate border... those Iconoclast heretics controlling Northern Epirus. They had been a thorn in Alexandros' side for some time, and it was an opportunity to take what is rightfully Rome's in a holy battle for it. Sadly, it would appear another war in the East would strike up, yet again in that Antiochian soil. Those vicious Abbasids have declared a Holy War for lands in Antioch, and it is up to the Romans and Christian alliance to keep that from happening. Two wars, two fronts. Once again, Alexandros was looking at tiptoeing against the edge of the abyss.

In some good news, Alexandros' first son was born on 26 May 1261 C.E. It was hotly debated what his son would be named, but in the end, it was rather simple. Alexandros never got to see his own father much: Kallinikos of Lesbos. So it was decided that his son would be just that: Prince Kallinikos Hikesphoros. Much celebration rang out in the streets of Constantinople following the news.

The two armies of Alexandros finally arrived in their respective fronts by February of 1262 C.E. The Western armies conquered cities in quick succession, but it was a race against the clock as another army had declared a holy war against Lychnidos. The Duke of Vidin, Dobromir, had a strong army beginning to conquer cities as well, and thus it was against him that Alexandros needed to conquer faster. In July of 1262 C.E., Alexandros moved his armies and faced off against the Army of Lychnidos, securing a crushing victory that gave the Romans all land from the Iconoclastic heretics. It was a deafening victory on the part of Alexandros, a major event that resounded in the streets of Constantinople. Sadly, the capital land of Bitola was left in the hands of Vexin after their conquest of the city. It would need to be liberated eventually...

In the East, it was even more success seen by the armies of Alexandros and the Christian Alliance. The Abbasids, though having believed themselves to be strong in numbers, were destroyed and taken apart quickly by the 20k men numbered in the Christian armies. By December 1262 C.E., it was over for the Abbasids, whose submission to the overwhelming and superior numbers of the Christians was a call for a time of celebration within the realm of the Nicene Empire. The first four months of the year of 1263 C.E. would be a time of a grand tournament and peace. The winner was a man named Kosmas of Thessalonike.

Much of 1263 C.E. was relatively peaceful within the Roman realm, and Alexandros enjoyed some freedom to begin a personal project of his that would begin sometime around this period of peace. Construction on the Hagia Sophia began in earnest as Alexandros worked to restore the ruined temple to its former glory, something that not even Augusthenes could truly do. At 25 years old, Alexandros Hikesphoros appeared to become something of a Roman philosopher and patron of the arts, attending many plays, concerts, and sporting events. He was a man of the people during this period of peace. But it couldn't last forever...

Georgia had entered into a Holy War for Alania, a plot of land held by the Bogomolists, a sect of Slavic Christians who have spoken out against the Ecumenical Patriarch in the past, and have drawn the ire of the Romans... It was a just war after all, for their heretical tongues wipe the earth with misgivings and dangerous thoughts. In the Southeast, Antioch decided to push into Rumite lands once more to see if they could capture the lands of Edessa from the Turkish Muslims. On December 1264 C.E., Rome diverted all troops towards Rumite lands; the war in Alania had been all but victorious for Georgia. The real war would be against a massive Muslim horde seeking to defend themselves.

On 20 April 1265 C.E., the Roman armies met the 15k numbered Muslim army on a Mountainside at Marash. Details of the battle speak of the Roman army settled on the high ground of the Mountainside as the Muslims crossed a nearby river to begin the battle. It was a severe disadvantage for the Muslims. Once the battle began, the commander of the army, known to history only as Antiochos, wrote this dispatch to Prince Petros of Antioch, who had been leading his army in the nearby counties...
"There is not much time, hurry, settle your armies and send them to Marash with no delay. The Muslims cross the river and attack the mountainside that we have set our defenses up upon. We can hold them back for only so long until they defeat our armies; if haste is taken, you will be able to smash into their numbers and slaughter them by the thousands, giving us a chance to perform a counter-attack and win the day. It is your chance, Prince Petros, to take the Muslims head-on."
- Antiochos, 1265 C.E.
Antiochos.PNG

The Antiochian army arrived days later and flanked the Muslim advance, slaughtering the army and whittling its numbers down from 15k at the beginning of the battle to a shattered and split three-way army. The Abbasid contingent fled south with approximately 6500 men left after the battle. The Rumites escaped Westward, with less than 8000 men. It was a devastating loss for the Muslim forces, but a glorious victory for the Nicene Alliance. In the end, however, the Muslim numbers would catch up to the forces of the Nicene Alliance in the battle of Turbessel, a huge loss for the Romans. The Antiochians sued for peace by February 1266 C.E., and it was a marring defeat for the Nicene Alliance against the overwhelming Muslims... the loss of Egypt to the Abbasid Caliphate was truly too much for the Romans to handle.

By June there were more pressing local matters, a foreign invader once again attempting to take Trebizond from Alexandros's tributaries. A man named Bulger Tukid invaded Trebizond, which the Romans found less than impressive. The movement was swift from Alexandros, though his army was more or less weakened from the Romano-Rumite war, it was more than a match for this foreign conqueror. Rum was captured and forced into surrender by the Spring of 1267 C.E.

In July 1267 C.E., Alexandros and Daniel of Madyta, who had served as the Empire's Master of the Horse for well over 20 years, organized an expedition to the Ramazan Satrapy. The purpose was to help establish trade relations with the Eastern nation. Official records say that Alexandros brought to Satrap Karatay Ramazan a dozen strong white horses, a sign of wealth and prestige in Rome. The negotiations were successful and by October of 1267 C.E., a working trade network was created between the two.

Following five years of relative peace, from 1267 C.E. until 1272 C.E., Alexandros felt stuck. His position in the Mediterranean wasn't expanding. He looked to the region and saw what was difficult situations all around. How could Rome take back their ancestral lands when the world was changing? To the North, the Bulgarians were strong, but they had grown complacent, and though their lands were ripe for the taking, Alexandros knew that a prolonged war with the Bulgarians would be bad news. Westward, the Holy Roman Empire began to creep into the Balkans, known to the Romans as Illyricum. The "Holy Roman Empire" was neither Roman, nor holy, and though they were gross, obnoxious pretenders, they had stronger armies. Southward, Egypt was no longer under Abbasid control, but a Holy War would still incur the wrath of all Muslim warriors in the region. Eastward, Anatolia was Christian controlled and having been there for over 20 years, they had become firmly entrenched in the region.

1272.png

War would come sooner rather than later, however, as Doux Prokopios of Lychnidos ventured into Bulgarian lands, eager to claim the title of Bitola. With King Petar III of Bulgaria facing three fronts at once, Alexandros assembled his armies and marched into the Bulgarian capital of Tyrnovo in September 1272 C.E. With Bulgaria's army weakened, Alexandros moved in quickly and decimated their numbers, from 9000 to a mere 4800 men. Tyrnovo was captured by June 1273 C.E. By the turn of the new year in 1275 C.E., Bulgaria was forced to surrender, and it proved to be a morale boost to Alexandros Hikesphoros.

With the beginning of the new year, it was decided that Alexandros would no longer see fit for his Empire to be considered a "Roman successor"... after all, they *were* Roman. Though they were not as strong as they once had been, it was a matter of fact that the "Holy Roman Empire" held onto the title of "Romans" for far too long. It was time for a true Rome to rise from the ashes after nearly seventy-five years in the wilderness. No longer would there be a Nicene Empire... from now on, Alexandros Hikesphoros would be Basileus, the Emperor, the ruler of the "Greco-Roman Empire".​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
1276.png

Part X:

We return to Europe, and specifically, the Eastern Mediterranean in the year 1276 C.E. Basileus Alexandros of the newly christened Greco-Roman Empire had finished up a war with Bulgaria merely the year before, and by October of 1276 C.E., the realm had become relatively peaceful... and yet, Alexandros saw his sphere of influence beginning to crack. Though he was the strongest sovereign nation in the entirety of the Eastern Mediterranean, the Holy Roman Empire had begun to push inwards towards what is today known as the Balkans, and to the Romans "Illyria". Alexandros realized that in order to push back the rise of those false Romans, those heretics who worship the Pope in Rome and proclaim themselves the illegitimate successors of the Roman ancestors, he would have to do something drastic.
"My grandfather Augusthenes had witnessed the fall of Constantinople once, and in a way, it was the death of yet another Rome; he reconstituted it from the audacious Catholics and pushed them back until the realm was strong once more. Though I have more or less carried on his legacy, I see now that my grandfather's works have meant nothing in the end. The Bulgarians continue to hold Roman lands across the Danube. Those "Holy Romans", or Germanic peoples (for what they really are), are pushing into all corners of the Mediterranean, and even now, they hold lands in Dyrrachion. Venice, in their infinite audacity, claims the superiority of the seas and flaunt their wealth against us in all facets. I see now that my true mission is thusly: I must conquer, and I must become like Caesar, like Scipio, and like Constantine before me. I will make a mockery of all who falsely claim to be successors of Rome."
- Alexandros Hikesphoros, 1276 C.E.

Alexandrios Adult 2.PNG

As the new year rolled around into 1277 C.E., Antioch called for help from Alexandros in dealing with a revolt, which was answered swiftly by the Romans. In the West, seeing Epirus as possibly threatened by expansion from the "Holy Romans", Alexandros wanted them under his wing, and quickly. Epirus, under no uncertain terms, refused. The Queen of Epirus, Nikoletta Androsalites, wrote to Alexandros, and we have the letter saved from the time period. According to reports, Alexandros found the letter offensive and wanted Nikoletta to pay dearly...

Luckily, it appeared that Alexandros had a Strategos who sought the title of Epirus... Strategos Arsen Rubenid "The Able" of Opsikon held a claim to the Duchy of Epirus... Giving him these lands would surely make him more than loyal, while also expanding Roman lands finally back into the Adriatic Sea, where their navies could put to bear... Nikoletta's navy worked quickly, moving her armies into Constantinople by March of 1277 C.E., where an army of 4500 men garrisoned against her armies entering from the sea. Meanwhile, 10000 men moved Westward into the lands of Epirus. Antioch could only wait for Alexandros to hire Mercenaries and sent a unit of approximately 6500 men towards their lands.

Constantinople appeared to be captured for a time by Nikoletta's forces in September of 1277, but Alexandros' armies made quick work of the cities of Epirus. Nikoletta's armies could try as they might, but it was a mere race against time. By March 1278 C.E., it was too late, and Nikoletta's Kingdom of Epirus was no more. She was now nothing but a pissant Greek noble without land or an army. On the Eastern front, things had gone badly. The revolt had beaten back Roman forces and now it was a scramble for time; Alexandros needed to keep his tributary for the moment. and if he were to lose that, it would be yet another war to re-establish it. Luckily, a settlement allowed for the Greco-Roman Empire to remain firmly entrenched as the suzerain to Antioch.

At home, a faction was beginning to rise up in favor of limiting Alexandros' powers, which was a disaster for him... Alexandros needed his authoritarianism in order to continue to expand Roman lands, and if his vassals were going to revolt, it would be a terrible and bloody war that could end terribly... Luckily, a well-timed Holy War by one of Alexandros' vassals turned things in his favor. It was also during this time that Alexandros' son Kallinikos Hikesphoros came of age and married the beautiful Ermesenda de Barcelona of Aragon.

Alexandros admittedly had lost much money during these few wars, as mercenary debts and other noticeable unflattering events piled. He needed to be frugal at this time, but his thirst for conquest was impeccable. Alexandros opted to take the year of 1279 C.E. as a year of fasting and reflection. Laissez-faire of sorts, letting the world pass by as Alexandros readies his forces for a major offensive. The site of this major offensive would be none other than the Kingdom of Serbia, which had over the last 70 years had been something of an ally to the Romans, but now would be a prize worth conquering. Alexandros Hikesphoros knew that an attack like this would damage his image, at least internationally.
"Alas, though the Germans and the Italians and the Bulgarians will see it as a flagrant power-grab, I know that those ancient lands of Illyria belong rightfully to the successors of Rome and their peoples. I am as just and righteous as the pauper in the street decrying false prophets and the devil's work, or as the supposed man of the Vatican. Rome will rise again, and someday the world will be thankful for my services."
- Alexandros Hikesphoros, 1280 C.E.
Alexandrios Adult 2.PNG

The army of Kallinikos Hikesphoros, son of Alexandros and heir to the Roman throne, met the armies of Serbian King Zoran Nemanjic "The Frog" in June 1280 C.E. At Philippopolis, Zoran's army (led directly by the King) had cropped themselves upon a mountainside fort, prepared for the oncoming attack by Kallinikos' army. It was reminiscent of the "Battle of Kerasous" in May of 1256 C.E., when Alp Yurek Kasid's armies had attempted to battle the Roman army upon a mountainside. The conditions of the Battle of Philippopolis would admittedly be worse for the Romans; not only had King Zoran's army entrenched himself in the mountainside, but his positioning also forced the Romans to cross a river before the battle, leaving them disorganized and weary. 5600 Roman men met the 3700 Serbian men entrenched on the mountainside and in a brutal battle, Roman came out victorious. The Roman casualties numbered approximately 1000 men, while the Serbians lost 900 or so men; it was a victory for the Romans, and the main army headed by Antiochos had captured Podgorica a few days later.

Bad news in the Eastern front, as Georgia, weakened by a failed Holy War into the Northern Black Sea, was assailed by a Beylerbeylik of the lands of Kesranid; today it is known as Azerbaijan, and in 1280 C.E., it was a vassal of the Khwarezmid Sultanate. The man invading Georgia would be Beylerbey Javeed Ardahanzade Kesranid. This Muslim man was known to the Romans as a man of culture and who had been recorded to travel East on a visit to the Emperor of the Liang Dynasty (China). He was also learned in the ways of Eastern faiths, Jewish traditions, and Christian rituals. In another life, it could have been possible that Alexandros could have seen this man as someone to admire... but in these wild times, Alexandros knew that this was a dangerous man who is threatening his livelihood and his sphere of influence; that was something Alexandros Hikesphoros would not abide by.

Kallinikos Hikesphoros would receive orders to move his army from the Western Front into the Alanian front. By May of 1281 C.E., Serbia would cede and become subservient to Roman rule; King Zoran was allowed to remain on the throne, and not only that, Alexandros saw potential in him... In a shocking set of events, Alexandros assigned King Zoran Nemanjic as his Magistros, or Chancellor, of the Greco-Roman Empire. It was a major vote of confidence by Alexandros Hikesphoros; it could also be seen as a show to the international public, a sign that the Romans would be gentile and welcoming of all who fall under their auspices. Alexandros was a man to be reckoned with, and next on his list was Beylerbey Javeed Kesranid.

Kallinikos Hikesphoros' forces moved into Khwarezmid territory and began sieging cities for Georgia, the Roman tributary. A minor Bogomilist uprising also came up around Adrianopolis. Alexandros sent Antiochos to deal with it; the matter was dealt with quickly by November of 1282 C.E. Over the next year, the Alanian front was taken care of to the point that Georgia and Trebizond could take care of themselves; on the other side of Roman territory, things began moving quickly. First came Exarch Manuel II of Greece, who declared war on Emperor Baudouin III of the Latin Empire (who by this time had somehow inherited the Kingdom of Scotland. Then came Arsen of Opsikon, the man who years earlier Alexandros had captured Epirus for. Both men declared war on the Latin Empire for lands in Greece; Alexandros knew it was time to press his claims. Years earlier, during the wars in Epirus and Antioch, Alexandros spent a fortune to acquire claims in the Latin lands of Maroneia and Traianopolis. It was time to battle for those lands and make them rightfully his.

Roman-LatinoBulgar War.PNG

It was known that such an aggressive show of force would bring Bulgaria into the war. It was the first salvo in what would become known to history as the First Latino-Bulgar Wars. Bulgaria and the Greco-Roman Empire had battled in the past, but this war would be a brutal and plodding affair that began in November of 1283 C.E. After sieging the two cities of Xantheia and Traianopolis, the armies led by Doux Anthimos II of Paphlagonia, approximately 7600 men strong, attacked the combined Latino-Bulgar armies, which stood around 3800 men. The Battle of Ceres ended in near decimation by the Roman armies. 3800 men were destroyed into a mere 2300 men, a loss of approximately 60%. During the war, Badouin III died and the Latin Empire was left to his son, Jourdain Van Vlaanderen. Alexandros cared not for the reasons, he wanted his lands, and he wanted them now. In Late-1287 C.E., after a grueling campaign that saw the Bulgarian countryside burned and emblazoned with Roman swords, Emperor Jourdain saw to it to officially cede all lands North of Achaia to the Greco-Roman Empire.

The next step would then become in Georgia, once again. This time, the Turkish Muslims of the Sultanate of Rum was busy with the recent Crusade in Egypt, giving the Kingdom of Georgia an opportunity to declare a holy war for Azerbaijan. It was during this time Alexandros connected with his half-sister, the Queen of Abyssinia, Berhane Solomonid of the greatly historic Solomonid Dynasty. The Rumite Holy War started badly as the armies of Kallinikos were ambushed and beaten back into Roman lands around July of 1288 C.E.; it was a bad loss for the Romans, but Prince Kallinikos managed to preserve much of his army; going from 7800 men to 2157. The Muslims numbered approximately 14000 men. Alexandros saw this as an affront, and assembled levies of his vassals and his standing army; they prepared to strike back at the Muslims.
"My son survived by the skin of his teeth, but his battles truly taught us that they must be destroyed, brick by brick, man by man. The Muslims will find themselves facing the might of the Roman army, and they will cower and flee as the Georgians conquer their cities to the East, and the Catholics will retake Egypt (for now, as it will be long after my life before we take it back). I am becoming tired of war, my amassed fortune has allowed for the Hagia Sophia to return to its former glory after those bastard Italians desecrated it, and though I have managed to conquer some land, it has come at the cost of tens of thousands of young Romans. That is life, and that is war, and it gives me no pleasure."
- Alexandros Hikesphoros, 1288 C.E.
Alexandrios Old.PNG

In April of 1289 C.E., the Rumite and the Roman armies clashed one last time at the Battle of Asponia. It was a critical Roman victory, and furthermore, Sultan Ramazan Kemaloglu Seljuk, the ruler of Rum and the enemy of this war, was captured in his camp. It was only a short time before he officially surrendered and ceded all lands of Azerbaijan to Georgia. Alexandros Hikesphoros had beaten back several enemies and somehow came out victorious in his various conquests. 13 years of constant war had worn out the now old man. There were only two more things to take care of... Trebizond and Georgia, who had been so loyal to Alexandros and Augusthenes Hikesphoros. It was time to bring them back into Roman lands; first came Despot Manuel II Komnenos, of the former Roman ruling dynasty. Then came Davit IV Ardanases dze Bagrationi, King of Georgia. Both agreed to swear total fealty to Basileus Alexandros. In the past, Alexandros had to placate the needs of his tributaries. Antioch had fallen as a tributary after the death of Methodios and the betrayal of the House de Poitou.

Trebizond and Georgia however, were loyal to the end. With their entrance into the Greco-Roman Empire, it was now a time for the rest of the world to realize that Rome was not dead. It has never been dead. Though the light of Rome, the city, died 800 years ago, and though Constantinople fell 86 years ago, the Roman people never died. They took back Constantinople, and they took back much of their Greek holdings. The Greco-Roman Empire was now beginning to make a proactive push to become the Roman Empire once more. It was the dream of Justinian I, the delusion of Alexios Komnenos, and the failure of Alexios V Dukas. However, it is the possibility of Alexandros and his dynasty: the Hikesphoros family.

Hikesphoros.PNG

Hikesphoros
Coat of Arms

1290.png

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Hikesphoros Family.PNG

(Living Members of the Hikesphoros Dynasty, circa 1290 C.E.)

Part XI:

We return to the Eastern Mediterranean with the Hikesphoros Dynasty, and the elderly Basileus Alexandros Hikesphoros "The Monk" of the Greco-Roman Empire. With years of war behind him, it appeared that Alexandros had been tired of it, but there was no simple escape from the ravages of conquest; especially when circumstances make for a perfect opportunity. It was the revolt in the East; the Rumite lands were under an intense civil war... Alexandros knew to bet all-in on this, a dual civil war against both the Turkish rebels and the Sultan of Rum. It was a dangerous situation, but if it succeeded, it would cause an exponential growth in the entirety of the Greco-Roman Empire.

The first step would be the conquest of the rebel lands, as it would serve to be an easier chance while the Crusade in Egypt and the Jihad in Syria would be current. By October of 1290 C.E., all of the Roman forces began occupying rebel territory. By March of 1291 C.E., the rebel lands were secure, but Alexandros needed to hold on forcing peace early, for the sake of making sure the Rumite forces don't manage to pull anything.

The grueling campaign would lead to three long years of war, but with the rest of the Muslim world busy with the Jihad and Crusade, it was only a matter of time before Rum and their rebels were forced to surrender. February of 1293 C.E. finally saw the end of the campaign, and for the Greco-Roman Empire's expansion to finish. It was a ton of land in Anatolia to acquire, and now Alexandros needed several names to help facilitate the transfer of power from the Muslims to the righteous Romans. Over the course of the next month, in March 1293 C.E., Alexandros landed the titles of Charsianon to Kyros of Kibrya, a loyal servant to Alexandros, and then the titles of Lykandos of Rusi, a Jewish man who served in the court of the Romans.

1293.png

Now was only a matter of time for waiting to see how the Jihads and Crusade would play out. With much of the Turkish Muslims cowed and defeated, Alexandros saw the tides of change beginning. Alexandros spent the next few years managing his realm as best he could, though he wouldn't just sit idly by. He was working to attain several claims on the lands of Bulgaria, according to his journal.
"The lands held by those Bulgarians are rightfully belonging to the Romans and have been rightfully ours for over 400 years. They can lay claim to everything North of the Danube River, but nothing further South. They will be conquered, and they will be removed by the force of the Romans. My descendants will look upon me with honor and respect, and history will show me to be righteous in my family's mission to restore the glory of Rome."
-Alexandros Hikesphoros, 1294 C.E.

Alexandrios Old.PNG

In July of 1294 C.E., Alexandros learned of the death of his youngest living son, Count Nikolaos of Galatia. He was only 17 years old and died of mysterious circumstances. At the same time, his heir, and beloved son Kallinikos Hikesphoros, became deathly sick (presumed to be Cancer). In preparation for this unforeseen circumstance, it was decided for Alexandros Hikesphoros's grandson and second heir apparent, Antonios Hikesphoros to come under his grandfather's wing, and for him to marry Duchess Antonia of Modena.

War returned two years later at the hands of the Latin Empire, the Hikesphoros dynasty's mortal enemy since the days of the Sack of Constantinople. The Exarchessa of Greece, Antonia Laskaris, had pushed a claim for Achaia; Alexandros offered to help any way he could... it was always personal with the Latin Empire. Empress Geoffrey of the Latin Empire, a mere child, ended up cowing to the might of Rome, and with one last war, The Latin Empire had lost the last of their holdings in the Eastern Mediterranean in June 1298 C.E. It was the victory that Augusthenes Hikesphoros "The Wise" dreamed of, and that his grandson would finally make happen 50 years later. Fifty long years of rule for Alexandros Hikesphoros. Alexandros had expanded the Greco-Roman Empire's holdings to twice its size than that of his grandfather.

1204 C.E..png

1247.png

1298.png

In August of 1299, Basileus Alexandros Hikesphoros's third-born son Count Basileos of Naupaktos died comatose, meaning that Alexandros had officially outlived three of his five children. His second son, Leontios Hikesphoros, had converted to Judaism years before, and of course, his heir Kallinikos (now Count of Galatia due to court intrigue and stealing it from his brother) was dying, though slowly. It was the way of a long reigned Roman Emperor.

The new year of 1300 C.E. was met with a celebration in honor of over 2080 years of Roman identity, the longest-lasting culture in the world. It was also time for Anatolia to fall under the hand of Rome. Alexandros moved his forces into the Anatolian territory; a small, minor, flub happened to be that the Crusade in Egypt, which had been going on for over 15 years by then, brought the armies of the Holy Roman Empire, Knights Hospitaller, and the Livonian Order. 10k men ready to battle the armies of the Romans. Alexandros figured that this would have been easy, but it was a slight miscalculation. The two armies met at the Battle of Gaspadale, where 5000 men began to clash with the full fury of 10,000 Catholics. It took a few days for the rest of Alexandros' army to arrive at Gaspadale, where his forces could be put to bear. Though both armies lost 5000 men apiece, it was such a devastating loss for King Adelmio of Anatolia that he surrendered days later, ceding all lands to the Romans.

Unsurprisingly, despite the spectacular loss by the combined Anatolian, German, and Catholic armies, the Crusade for Egypt wrapped up victoriously. The Catholics once again held Egypt. With peace restored (at least nationally), a Venetian merchant by the name of Marco Polo had crossed by the court of Alexandros Hikesphoros; he regaled the Basileus of wild stories from the land of Cathay (modern-day China), where the Mongol dynasty rules. For a Venetian, he was cordial and showed much respect to the Romans; and Alexandros found himself rather impressed by the stories.

Marco Polo.PNG

Following this, in January of 1302 C.E., Antioch was seen as enormously weak, and ripe for conquest by the Romans before the Muslims did. The Army of Antioch, though they attempted to capture the bejeweled city of Constantinople, they were repulsed rapidly by a small contingent, but then they had to be sequestered to the vassal Kingdom of Georgia, for a Bogomilist uprising, taking them out of action. By May of 1304 C.E., it was over. With Antioch in control, it was time to anoint a new Patriarch of Antioch. That man would be a man named Kaisarios. Following a minor peasant rebellion around Strymon, there would be not much else news for the Greco-Roman Empire. Antonios Hikesphoros, grandson and 2nd-in-line to the throne of the Greco-Roman Empire, came of age and officially married Antonia de Savoie, Duchess of Moderna. It was also during this time that after years of attempting major and personal reform, Alexandros finally became known to all of Europe as Aléxandros Filánthropos Chikesfóros (Alexander "the Benevolent" Hikesphoros). Hail, mighty Alexandros, Basileus of the Greco-Roman Empire.

1305.png