Report: Steelers won't keep Hines Ward

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The Pittsburgh Steelers, with a Hines Ward roster-bonus deadline fast approaching, have decided not to keep the veteran receiver, the NFL Network has reported, citing unnamed sources.

Ward, who lost his starting job in 2011, was scheduled to make $4 million in the last two years of his contract but has said he was willing to take a pay cut.

"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Ward posted.

Hensley: Logical Step For Steelers, Ward
Keeping veteran receiver Hines Ward around as a reserve makes little sense for the Steelers or Ward, ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley writes. Blog

Ward posted on his Facebook page Saturday that he's already told the Steelers he's willing to work with them on altering his deal so he can remain with the team.

A decision is required by March 1 to satisfy a clause in his contract.

"I plan on playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and going from there," Ward said Thursday during Super Bowl week.

Speaking at the media center in Indianapolis, Ward called reports about his possible retirement "rumors," reiterating he wants to play next season.

Asked if he wanted to play three, four or five more years, the 35-year-old Ward laughed and said, "I don't know about that long."

Ward, who turns 36 next month, became the eighth player in league history to reach 1,000 career receptions in the regular-season finale against Cleveland. He and Jerry Rice are the only players in league history to reach 1,000 receptions and win multiple Super Bowls.

Yet Ward's role within the offense diminished as Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders passed him on the depth chart and Mike Wallace became a Pro Bowler.

The 2006 Super Bowl MVP did not catch a pass in the Steelers' 29-23 overtime loss to Denver in the wild card round, the first time in Ward's career he was held without a reception in a postseason game. His future is one of several questions that will need to be addressed during what's already been an active offseason for one of the league's most stable franchises.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was not offered a new contract and spent just over a week unemployed before taking the same position with the Indianapolis Colts. The Steelers hired former Kansas City head coach Todd Haley to replace Arians, though Haley didn't mention Ward's name at all during an introductory press conference on Thursday.

The Steelers will look for receiver depth after releasing veteran Arnaz Battle this week and the possible departure of Jerricho Cotchery, who will be an unrestricted free agent. Pittsburgh has just four receivers under contract for 2012, including Ward.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders have spoken at length about Ward's leadership and all want his No. 86 to be on the field next season.

"He sets the tone in the room," Brown said of Ward. "We definitely want to help a guy like him win."

It surprises me they don't want to keep him even if he is willing to restructure his contract and take a pay cut. Even if he is number 3 or 4 on the depth chart, being there would be nothing but good for the team and other receivers.

Swamps

Laughs At Stupid People
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Hell send him to Atlanta! We will damn sure take him! I would love to see Ward on the Falcons side line. I remember when he played High school back in the day and thought he was awesome then and, he damn sure never disappointed.... Other than the Forest Park vs. Valdosta High game back in 1993... :(

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I have been hearing this for awhile. I would think that they would restructure his contract. He is a team guy. I do believe that they will be getting rid of quite a few players too mainly on the defense side of things as well, just what I hear on a daily basis here in PA.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I don't see them just closing the door on bringing him back. Yeah he is getting up there in age and they have some explosive WR's, but he is a good mentor to them and wouldn't be a bad option if one of the other receivers got hurt. Many teams would like to have him as a number two even now and the Steelers are lucky to have him as a number four option. I would be saddened to see him with another team though. When I think of the Steelers now, Ward is the first guy that comes to mind.