...Reflections In Sound 2020 #1: Poppy ~ I Disagree...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score

...Stasis Interrupted...

...Sumerian Records Transmitting...

...Transmission Received...

...Poppy...

...I Disagree...

...Initiating Emergency Reflections In Sound Protocol...

...Partial Reactivation of Grievous Unit Complete...

...I...

...AM...

...AWAKE!...

+++

Well...where to start with this one?

From the Beginning I guess...

Reflections In Sound 2020 #1:

Artist:
Poppy

Album: I Disagree

Label: Sumerian Records

Released: January 10th

Length: 35:08

Cover: Poppy doing her version of the "Immortal/Black Metal" face.

IDCover.jpg

+ My Own Perspective +
I was first shown the artist known as Poppy by a fellow member of this forum
who displayed the song "X" in a profile post. It caught my attention & I quickly
did some research to find out just who this woman was & what her deal was.

What information I found was strange & disconnected...but I found her music
strangely fun, compelling & interesting & so while I know "who" Poppy is...I don't
really care about what she does besides the music she releases meaning I'm
going into this "review" solely focusing on the music & nothing else.

The truth is I've never even heard Poppy speak outside of her music & have
avoided watching any of her other "content" besides her music videos.

So...with that (short) introduction out of the way let me give you my track
by track analysis of I Disagree.

+ Track by Track +

1). Concrete:

Sirens usher in the album with Concrete before the track degenerates into a
fusion of pop, rock, punk & metal. This track is very similar to X from her
previous album as it goes through several whiplash inducing musical & mood
shifts before it hits its final moments that have an almost stadium-rock quality
to them. I could easily see this track closing her live shows as it has a certain
finality to it...even though its the opening track on this album. Weird.

2). I Disagree:
The momentum continues with the title track which opens with some strong riffing
before Poppy soon takes over to speak some harsh truths in the shallow verse(s)
before the riffing returns with a melodic buzzsaw chorus as the vocals seem to
almost float over the guitar parts in a very smart & catchy way. Poppy wants to
burn everything down...and that's fine...but we don't need anymore fires in Australia.

3). BLOODMONEY:
Now this track works & its possibly the best this album has to offer. BLOODMONEY
blends Poppy's synth-pop metal style with the industrial stomp of Year Zero-era Nine
Inch Nails & for me it shows how much potential Poppy could have if she decided
to fully embrace industrial music on her future releases. Can we get Trent Reznor &
Atticus Ross to produce her next album?

4). Anything Like Me:
After a incredibly sombre opening this track mutates into Marilyn Mason-styled
stomper (think the The Beautiful People or Rock Is Dead) but this track never truly
"takes off" as its sombre sections seem to keep it some what grounded & restrained.
It is again a more industrial sounding piece...but it doesn't have the crunch or bounce
of BLOODMONEY.

5). Fill The Crown:
After a mellow beginning the track breaks into a stomping metal riff as the vocals
coast along with the catchy groove created. The mellow & gentle chorus again make
the track seem somewhat bipolar but overall its a fun track that shows that Poppy
should sometimes let the music guide her vocals rather than trying to take command
of it.

6). Nothing I Need:
And speaking of mellow & gentle the album takes a break from being "Poppy Metal"
to deliver a spacey & again somewhat sombre ballad. The song itself seems slightly
out of place but it doesn't hurt the overall momentum of the record & it shows a more
fragile side to Poppy as an artist.

7). Sit/Stay:
Picks up the pace & kicks the album back into gear with its rolling riffs & electro-punk
vibes which are again countered by shallow chorus with Poppy's vocals taking complete
control. This song again has a slight industrial touch & goes full "Wall of Sound" as it ends.

8). Bite Your Teeth:
Attacks you with drums before the riffing begins before some pop music creeps in again
before the track gives way to some more metallic & catchy riffing before the song shifts
speed rapidly in a stop/start fashion before we get a typical metal breakdown.This song
actually packs quite a punch & could possible be the most "metal" track on here.

9). Sick of the Sun:
Its once again time to chill out as Poppy gives us another ballad however this track
settles into a nice mid-tempo groove & again allows Poppy's vocals to float & hover over
the music. Its a sweet, little rock ballad that you could bring out the lighters & mobile
phones at a live show.

10). Don't Go Outside:
And with this the album comes to close as Poppy keeps the rock ballad motif going
however this album closer is longer, heavier & even features a kick ass guitar solo.
The song eventually transforms into a lyrical reprise of the title track in its final
moments & it really brings the album home strongly in an epic KISS-like fashion.

Final Thoughts:
As an album I Disagree sees Poppy expand on the "metal" elements that first
started popping up (HA!) in her music during the last quarter of her Am I A Girl?
album & the track Scary Mask from the Choke EP...and for the most part it works...
really, REALLY well.

The true strength of I Disagree is that it feels like a proper album. Meaning its
not just a collection of songs but a journey from start to finish & while you can
pick any song of the ten at random to listen to its clear that each song is a piece
of the larger "Pop Metal" puzzle.

I personally was looking forward to this album from the moment it was announced
by Sumerian Records & I'm happy to state it did not disappoint me for a second.

Its simply a short, sharp, catchy blast of artistic Pop (Poppy?) Metal & if that's
what you want or what you were expecting then you should be pleased by what
your ears find here.

Final Score:
8 Out Of 10

+++

...Reflections In Sound Protocol disengaged...

...Grievous Unit Re-entering Full Stasis...

...Awaiting transmission of data from Brazil relating to the QUADRA Effect...

...Full Stasis Engaged...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay-Ashley