• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reasons The IWC Sucks And Reasons The Attitude Era Is Overrated

Opinion on attitude era

• So overrated!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It sucked!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Think most of us here think "Fuck I hate this on-screen John Cena character so much, even though he's a pretty swell guy and I get why the kids like him and why they push him. Still, sigh."
There's plenty of reasons to not like Cena, but to wish death on the guy? Lolno.

"Wrestling is fake" = stupid trolls, not the IWC.

To be completely honest, I saw some episodes of the Attitude Era as a kid, but don't remember them. Outside of highlights I've seen recently I never saw it, but I'll agree the AE marks are annoying. The Attitude Era worked in the 90's and there's some concepts that'll work today, more freedom on the mic, more innovative concepts, etc. People complain about PG killing the product, the lack of chair shots, there not being any boobs anymore... I disagree that any of this is killing the wrestling business (but wouldn't mind more boobs). It's a different world. When I see a chair shot to the head now, I worry about the dude because of concussions. Who in their right mind would blade? That's just sick, When I see a dude falling off scaffolding, I think "Holy shit, he has some balls to take that... but really, what suicidal maniac would do something like that? We know what's going on now! If we see a crazy run-in we don't call "unpredictable TV" we call "OH SHIT IT'S VINCE RUSSO! OH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ALL ABOUT". It's an ultra-PC world now, and WWE's changed with the times.

Yeah the PG Era hasn't been great, but there's plenty of good stuff you can do with that rating. Hell KLockard wrote a way to do the entire nWo angle under the PG Banner.

Last edited:

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
I couldnt care less what era we are in tbh. Its not PG that ruins the show its the fucking writers and how Vince believes we still want to see Hogan type guys, Theres no lack of talent because just look at some of the guys on the roster: Orton, Bryan, Ziggler, Axel, Punk, Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Cesaro, Swagger, Rhodes, Christian I can go on for days. The Attitude Era was mainly to get WWF back on top so it doesnt surprise me it ended not long after he bought WCW. The Attitude Era was one of the biggest points in pro wrestling so to say its overrated isnt really true. The era was spectacular.

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I couldnt care less what era we are in tbh. Its not PG that ruins the show its the fucking writers and how Vince believes we still want to see Hogan type guys, Theres no lack of talent because just look at some of the guys on the roster: Orton, Bryan, Ziggler, Axel, Punk, Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Cesaro, Swagger, Rhodes, Christian I can go on for days. The Attitude Era was mainly to get WWF back on top so it doesnt surprise me it ended not long after he bought WCW. The Attitude Era was one of the biggest points in pro wrestling so to say its overrated isnt really true. The era was spectacular.

Great point. Is this the best collection of in-ring talent we've ever had? And most of them are getting pushed, too.
There was a lot of garbage brawls in the AE, big man matches before that... The Ruthless Aggression era had a bunch of great workers, but they really seem to be going in that direction nowadays.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Great point. Is this the best collection of in-ring talent we've ever had? And most of them are getting pushed, too.
There was a lot of garbage brawls in the AE, big man matches before that... The Ruthless Aggression era had a bunch of great workers, but they really seem to be going in that direction nowadays.

Note: Forgot Tyson Kidd on the short talent list

RA Era wasnt my favourite in any way, I only really liked 2003, 2006 cause of Edge Vs Cena and some of 2007 but I may be missing stuff. Look at NXT they are doing great down there and HHH is running it there I believe, I really hope Vince retires soon because 1. He is getting too old for the stress of running that place and 2. HHH can bring in so fresh ideas and stuff. And I also think the Cena Hate is a bit unfair as recently I started thinking that it isnt really his fault he is stuck with a stale gimmick and being pushed to the moon and im sure the guy would gladly put people over.

TKK

Reaction score

RA Era wasnt my favourite in any way, I only really liked 2003, 2006 cause of Edge Vs Cena and some of 2007 but I may be missing stuff. Look at NXT they are doing great down there and HHH is running it there I believe, I really hope Vince retires soon because 1. He is getting too old for the stress of running that place and 2. HHH can bring in so fresh ideas and stuff. And I also think the Cena Hate is a bit unfair as recently I started thinking that it isnt really his fault he is stuck with a stale gimmick and being pushed to the moon and im sure the guy would gladly put people over.

You started watching wrestling in 2011.

PoPo

The Artiste
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Like George said, it sounds like you started watching 2 years ago.

Trevor1

Jobber
Banned
Reaction score
Note: Forgot Tyson Kidd on the short talent list

You started watching wrestling in 2011

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So? Alkaline started in 2012 iirc.

Late 2011 but still a fair point to be made.

When you start watching is by no means important. What is important is the knowledge you gather on the subject in particular. You can have been watching for 30 years but know squat about wrestling or you can have been watching for one year and gathered a boatload of knowledge on it.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Ive been watching wrestling since I was like 5 ofc but I only started to get in depth about it around 2010

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Late 2011 but still a fair point to be made.

When you start watching is by no means important. What is important is the knowledge you gather on the subject in particular. You can have been watching for 30 years but know squat about wrestling or you can have been watching for one year and gathered a boatload of knowledge on it.
in fairness the man hours you've watched in comparison could be considered a different scenario entirely. I've only been back to watching wrestling since 2012 (RR) but i did watch as a kid for attitude era. I see things pretty simple based on

1)How old you were at the time when your wrestling interest peaked

2) What kind of product you most prefer

3) What wrestlers you see as "great"

I think Attitude era was one of the best ever, but mostly it was a 2-3 year window MAX where i was a young middle schooler where pretty much all of us watched it. Beavis and Butthead was "raunchy" entertainment, and i loved/laughed at a ton of it. The product i wanted at the time was what WWE had because it had profanity, name calling, tits, ass, and jokes that were things that today i have a hard time believing wasnt writting by teenagers. I loved the Cruiserweight division, the big ratings battle, and the fact you had 2 products to choose from continuously all night monday night.

I think where we are now has been great, but i remember why i quit watching in 2003, when only a handful of our friends still watched, and let us know that orton/cena had the title each 2-3 times per year. It just felt like it was being shoved down our throats and tried to make it "authentic" again. (nWo in wwf is a great example of something i enjoyed for a whole week) And now i have had my faith brought back. The big issue with punk/cena/adr/others isnt that they arent great to watch in the ring, or that their ppv match isnt worth seeing, its the horrible, stale angles that continued on, and on, and on. I honestly care a lot more about the individual than i did the character as a kid, and that is what has steered my opinion now into something completely different from what i wanted when i was younger. That's how things work.

Reactions: Stopspot