reactions during entrances

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I blame pro wrestling basically becoming a market now. Its all about who they want you to see and selling merchandise and PPVs. And the fact that they actually release some of the wrestlers that actually have talent and you could build from. You now have a select few of guys who get heat or cheers when back in the 90's, you had a guy like Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly who was getting pops.

CMS

Reaction score
I missed the part when wrestling was not a market ( I will ignore your comment saying you could actually build something around guys like Shelton Benjamin)

Reaction score
I missed the part when wrestling was not a market ( I will ignore your comment saying you could actually build something around guys like Shelton Benjamin)

As you can see with the WWE product now, this is my example of wrestling becoming a market.

Oh, I said something about Shelton Benjamin? I thought I said something about guys in general that they dropped the ball with. Let me check again.... I don't see anything about Benjamin.

CMS

Reaction score
You said they were dropping guys around whom they could build around, and the last guys they released where Mike Knox, Shelton and Carlito.

You clearly miss sarcasm. Wrestling has always been a market. It's always been about, as you put it, about wrestlers the promoters want us to see, cheer for and buy merchandise and events for.

Reaction score
But now its shoved down our throats constantly. Coming off a PPV, they immediately hype the next one. Merchandise sales are bigger now. You say it has always been a market, well it's an even bigger market.

When I said that they were releasing guys they could build around, I wasn't exactly talking about the guys you named.

Reaction score
Part of it is the generic-ness of the music and actual entrance of the wrestlers themselves. Kane would have a bigger pop if he had some good music, for example. Boring music and boring entrances equal bored fans, bottom line. Although some cities are worse than others. Chicago is ALWAYS a terrible crowd. They just fuckin' sit there with their mouths open.

CMS

Reaction score
Well I really want to know what guys you were talking about, because those are the ones they have fired.

Anyways, I just won't comment more on the business part, because it's like talking to a wall. WWE doesn't sell more merchandise now. Stone Cold, a guy that wrestled until 2001, still has the merchandise record, followed by Hulk Hogan in his original run. Business was way bigger before, peaking with the Rock and Roll Era and the Attitude Era. Now, the business is more stable and steady, as WWE has built a foundation and they won't go lower than that, but as of more success, it was way more succesful before.

The only part where you were right was that it's a bigger market now, because they target places like Mexico and Japan now way more than before, however, that doesn't affect you, the US viewer, in any sort of way.

I seriously lold at you complaining at them hyping a PPV after they came from one. Not only that has been done all the time in the history of wrestling, call it PPVs or call it events from the era of the regions, but that makes me to believe you would actually prefer pointless shows where they are not pushing anything.

Reaction score
Brian Kendrick, Paul Birchill, Manu, etc. These are some of the guys that were supposed to be the future.

You cannot tell me with the outlets like the internet, they cant sell more merchandise now. So Stone Cold holds the merchandise record. Believe me that record will be broken.

You can definitely see the difference of the hyping of PPV's now, then back in the 90s or 00s.

CMS

Reaction score
They were supposed to be part of the future. I don't think anyone of his right mind actually thought a guy like Manu could be a solid main eventer. All you guys you listed deserved more than what they got, but neither deserved to be THEE future.

The only difference between hyping PPVs now and 10 years ago is that before you got 6 weeks, now you get 3. But that doesn't really affect what you are complaining about. It migt affect the quality of the build up, but not the actual fact that right after a PPV, they started building towards the next one.

Yes, I am telling you, they sold way more merchandise back in the day. Anyways, in general, the internet has been more harmful than anything to the internet. And I will be quietly waiting for the guy to come in and top Stone Cold not only in sales but in carrying the whole company. John Cena has been close but yet no cigar and I can't see in the foreseable future anyone to even reach Cena level.

Reaction score
^^^You're going to wait for a looonnnngggg time for the next Stone Cold. Cena isn't even 1/5th the money machine Austin was. People seriously don't understand how big Austin was. In late 1997, around the Montreal screwjob, the E had at best a few million in the bank, they were nearly bankrupt. By mid way 1999, the E was a billion dollar company. Hogan at best drew half that much money in a seven year run. No one is going to touch Austin for a verrrryyyy looonnnggg time.He's a once in a lifetime talent and there is no one on the roster that can even be compared to him. And sorry, there is no Randy Orton comparison, that's just silly.

...god...

Reaction score
You cannot tell me with the outlets like the internet, they cant sell more merchandise now. So Stone Cold holds the merchandise record. Believe me that record will be broken.

You can definitely see the difference of the hyping of PPV's now, then back in the 90s or 00s.
Uh.. the internet was around in the 90's... There's really no difference than what CMS already stated, the WWE is more safer and consistent now. That's why it took almost 5 years to turn Batista heel and that's why Cena is pushing the 7 year mark on his face run. They stick with what they have and don't take the risks.

Yeah, the PPVs/feuds didn't suck?

It's dumb to assert that Austin's record will certainly be broken, since then you have to state that the WWE will be bigger than it was in the Attitude Era, which is unlikely with the new MMA "outlet", remember?.

CMS

Reaction score
^^^You're going to wait for a looonnnngggg time for the next Stone Cold. Cena isn't even 1/5th the money machine Austin was. People seriously don't understand how big Austin was. In late 1997, around the Montreal screwjob, the E had at best a few million in the bank, they were nearly bankrupt. By mid way 1999, the E was a billion dollar company. Hogan at best drew half that much money in a seven year run. No one is going to touch Austin for a verrrryyyy looonnnggg time.He's a once in a lifetime talent and there is no one on the roster that can even be compared to him. And sorry, there is no Randy Orton comparison, that's just silly.

Isn't that what I said? I said Cena has been the one that has come the closest to Austin yet he's far behind, and I don't see anyone even reaching Cena, let alone Stone Cold