Raw's EC match...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

I kinda brought this up in the Mike Knox news thread, but didn't really get into it.
But I think that this year's Elimination Chamber, Raw specifically, is looking a bit like a bunch of pussies in a cage.
Don't get me wrong. I like Rey, and kinda like Kofi too, and I'm one of the biggest Jericho fans around. But come on... What the hell are these guys doing in an elimination chamber?
One of them, namely Jericho, could be in, no problem, because it can't all be huge, brutal guys. You have to have some smaller guys, and Jericho can still do the brutality type match that the EC match requires.
But having Kofi, Rey, and Jericho, all 3 being small, finesse type guys, is going to take away from the match IMO. Not because of their size. That has some to do with it. But really, Kofi and Rey aren't made for these kinds of matches.
When I think of the EC, I think of Goldberg, Batista, Taker, HHH, Cena, Kane, Chris Masters, Big Show, Lashley, etc. They're just more suited for the match.

Anyone else disapointed with the choice of Rey and Kofi for the EC match? Or is it just me...

Axis

Meh, I dislike the entire concept of having two Elimination Chamber matches every year at the same show. Considering the circumstances, I can't complain about the picks. The Raw roster consists of mostly smaller, athletic guys now, which is something that the IWC has begged for over the past few years. It is here now, and this is one of the consequences. I don't mind it.

If anything, I think we will see Rey get thrown around like a rag doll in true entertaining fashion, and Kingston step up to really stand out.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Well, RAW is lacking main eventers right now. But I think it's a nice change with some new blood in there. Kingston was a huge shock to me. I told my girl there's no way he was going to win and that I'd get naked if he did. Rey getting in it was meh, he needs to stay in the mid card imo, Knox, another meh, he's done nothing but attack Rey and little guys for months. One surprise shocking entrance in Kingston was nice, having three is over board.

The Chamber does seem like a match where only bigger guys would fit in. But it can't be big guy dominant all the time. This chamber we'll see what the smaller guys can do. We haven't seen what Kingston or Knox can do in a brutal match yet and these guys are potential main eventers. What better time than now to see what they can do in these types of matches as being throw aways rather than wait until they are (if they get to status) main eventers.

But really, who else on RAW should have been in it? JBL will somehow find someway of getting in it. HBK may get in but then it would be too face dominant. Having two chamber matches after mania for both brands I think is dumb anyway. That should go to the losing brand of the rumble.

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
I believe the match looks worse on paper than any match in EC history. Personally hoping that it comes down to Jericho and Cena with Cena coming out on top. Just so that Orton beats him at WM.

Kofi-Nowhere near ready to be wrestling in that match
Knox-Big like what is needed to wrestle the match, but still nowhere near developed enough to be in it.
Rey-Proven, but I still dont really want him in there just because I'm not a fan

The Rated R CMStar

It's not that Raw is lacking main eventers, but HBK, JBL, Randy Orton and some extent CM Punk are busy building other feuds,so WWE has to bring new,fresh faces.

Personally, it's not a think of the wrestler's styles, but more as the wrestler itself, and guys like Kofi or Mike Knox aren't even upper midcarders

MikeRaw

^Ya, you brought up another point. Like I said, it's pretty bad that they are in there because they don't really fit the match, but another point is, it lacks the starpower as well.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i like rey being in the elimination chamber because you know hes gonna have atleast one big spot. there should be a decent amount of big high flying moves with these smaller guys but without huge brutal guys, it seems like the match will not deserve as much hype as its gonna get. people wanna see the big guys that can dish out some great power in the most brutal matches like this. it will probably be a pretty good match but it will be different then the normal elimination chamber matches.

Moonlight Drive

Remember how the Raw EC completelty overshadowed the SD one last year? This is to prevent that from happening.

I'm glad Kofi and Rey are in, I'd prefer some high-flying spots rather than repeated big scary man throws people into cage spots.

The Rated R CMStar

But this year SD will overshadow Raw. SD has Taker, Edge, Triple H and The Big Show already in, while Raw has Mike Knox, Rey Mysterio and Kofi Kingston.

Moonlight Drive

Plus John Cena, Chris Jericho and presumably JBL/HBK, I think they're about even.

Great One

Looks pretty terrible and I also hate the two EC matches thing. Really takes away from how hyped the match use to be back in the good days. NYR 2005, best EC chamber match ever =(.

Hometown Kid

I'm actually glad they're throwing some fresh faces on the Raw side, and am looking forward to the EC there much more than on SD, the thing i'm afraid of is that they'll just undo all of this by ending in Jericho/Cena. Because I like Jericho and all but there isn't really a point to having all of these mid-card guys if they just get squashed early. The main problem is that these are too predictable as they're at NWO and nobody thinks anyone outside of Trips, Edge or Cena is winning. The EC match(es) should be at Summerslam or maybe even like Judgment Day where people think there could actually be a title change.

And 1 more thing on the Raw side I still kinda hope Kane gets in there somehow even though it'll probably be JBL/HBK. =/

noumenon

I don't think it'll be too bad. You've got the two spot monkeys in Rey and Kofi, who I'm sure will pull off a few ooh's and aaah's. You've got the big power guy in Mike Knox to throw people into shit. Two big main eventers in Jericho and Cena. And as someone else said, presumably HBK or JBL which will give even more power to the match and help further their feud. The match is more meant to lump a few story lines and serve as an interesting gimmick than anything else.

The only thing I worry about is if exluding Orton from the match to further his feud with Vince will leave enough time to make for an interesting match between him and (most likely) Cena at Mania.

Great One

Eh.. not saying it isn't solid, it definitely is. I guess my expectations are just really high for this calibre of match, due to the previous hype it's received.

noumenon

It's not that the match won't be entertaining I think it's more along the lines that so far all but one of these guys don't really serve any threat towards Cena's title. Rey/Knox needs to be wrapped up but a match between these two really isn't a PPV draw...so they stick them in the cage.
Kofi needs to be pushed...although he's not going to win this win, he still went over Kane to get in the match.
And Jericho at this point is still kind of in limbo with this whole Rourke thing. Hopefully WWE knows what's going on and has something worthy planned for him for Mania. I really think the draft should see Jericho sent over to Smackdown... give the guy a chance to truly run a show.
Bottom line is that RAW already has a challenger for their title going into Mania, so they really don't need to be concerned with building story lines inside the cage. Smackdown on the other hand both has to pull of a convincing match and set something up going into Mania.