Raw staying. ..Smackdown going?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Financially the WWE has had a banner week. Yesterday news broke that the pro wrestling company was zeroing in on a TV deal that would pay them upwards of $400 million a year for the right to broadcast Monday night Raw.
Today (May 17) analysts are projecting what WWE’s potential new TV deal means for SmackDown and who may be in the race to land the rights for the Tuesday night series.

A new report from Variety’s Kristopher Tapley had some interesting tidbits about the WWE’s big day on the stock market and at negotiating table for their new TV deal. The story focused on how the SmackDownbrand is now becoming an huge asset for the WWE in the latest round of media rights talks.

“We think ‘SmackDown’ is due for a big raise as well, and likely still viewed as a bargain for several players reportedly interested,” said Eric Katz, senior analyst for Wells Fargo.

Frontrunning contenders for “SmackDown” rights include Fox, Facebook and Amazon. With the recent news that Fox will be sharing Ultimate Fighting Championship rights with ESPN, a few holes could open up in its scheduling that would present a great fit for WWE’s programming.”

Tapley continued

“One option open to “SmackDown” is moving from a two- to three-hour format akin to “Raw.” That would obviously inflate the show’s advertising potential, which might even be an enticing lure for suitors. The smaller two-hour bite is more appealing to fans, but a deeper breath would allow the brand to broaden its storytelling spotlight to include some of its underutilized talents.”

There is a scenario where the WWE runs a near five hour pay-per-view on Sunday night, followed by a three hour Raw on Monday and its all piggybacked by a three hour SmackDown on Tuesday night.

3 hour Smackdown
giphy.gif

Reactions: Chris

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I barely watch live as is. Y’all better get the fuck outta here with this extra hour shit

Reactions: Dale and Deezy

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I barely watch live as is. Y’all better get the fuck outta here with this extra hour shit
Right on brother. SmackDown is stacked right now but I have no desire for another 3 hour show.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think so many people have moved away from watching live or even watching entire shows anyway with DVR and just the internet so that might be helpful as they can get basically every niche audience watching some of the show for at least one person, but I can't see it helping live ratings a whole lot if they still care about them.

Reactions: Keith

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'm slowly moving to the FUCK watching this shit live movement, do you know how amazing it was not watching RAW and SD this week and being able to watch sports playoffs or 1998 Reviews. Then catching up on Wednesday, in about an hour and a half.

Reactions: Cwalker and Chris

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I'm slowly moving to the FUCK watching this shit live moment, do you know how amazing it was nothing RAW and SD this week and being able to watch sports playoffs or 1998 Reviews. Then catching up on Wednesday, in about an hour and a half.
I'm honestly surprised it took you this long especially since you're in England too. Having to stay up from 1am till 4, sitting through ad-break after ad-break and so many pointless matches it boggles my mind how people can watch it live.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'm on west coast time....shit starts at five for me. Fab you're gonna miss shitting on the product with me.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Think Smackdown needs a bit more profile so a deal with one of those suggested could help that. But yeah the last thing we need right now is another added hour of wrestling on TV per week.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
WWE has agreed in principle to make Fox the new home of "SmackDown Live," after the network came to WWE with what sources described as a "massive" offer.

Specific terms, beyond the fact that the deal will begin in October 2019, are unknown at this time.

A representative for WWE declined to comment.

A Fox As first reported by the Hollywood Reporter on Thursday, NBC Universal declined its right of first refusal to hit the numbers that WWE proposed on "SmackDown." NBC instead focused its efforts on "Monday Night Raw."

With live TV viewed as a prized commodity in the era of DVR and on-demand and "SmackDown Live" straddling the worlds of scripted and sports TV, Fox greatly valued the opportunity to pursue one of WWE's signature programs.

"SmackDown Live," which airs on Tuesdays, has averaged 2.59 million viewers per week in 2018, while "Raw" has averaged about 3 million viewers.

One of WWE's two weekly live broadcast shows, "SmackDown Live" has aired on NBC Universal networks since October 2010, first calling the SyFy network its home from 2010 to 2015 before debuting on the USA Network in January 2016. Before that, "SmackDown" aired on broadcast TV, starting in 1999 on UPN, followed by runs on the CW and My Network TV.

"Monday Night Raw" called USA Network home from 1993 to 2000 and returned there in October 2005 -- a run that carries through present day.

Since Thursday morning, when the Hollywood Reporter broke news of the opening of negotiations, WWE's stock, through 11:30 a.m. ET Monday, was up 19.1 percent.

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/23562745/fox-reaches-agreement-air-wwe-smackdown-live

giphy.webp

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

McMahon wins again :vince

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Question: Fox lately has been cancelling Shows haven't they lately on their Channel? I mean they was even word my Show Gotham was going to be cancelled, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I do remember other Shows being cancelled like Lucifer, but somehow they are all freed up for Smackdown Live. This is history is this the first time Fox will ever be showing a Wrestling product on their Channel?

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk

McMahon wins again :vince

Outside of wrestling he really doesn’t do anything that well, but god damn he knows how to make money off wrestling

Reactions: Deezy

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Question: Fox lately has been cancelling Shows haven't they lately on their Channel? I mean they was even word my Show Gotham was going to be cancelled, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I do remember other Shows being cancelled like Lucifer, but somehow they are all freed up for Smackdown Live. This is history is this the first time Fox will ever be showing a Wrestling product on their Channel?
Fox was looking to focus on sports and news after the Disney deal kicks in.

I'm just glad I'm getting a final season of Gotham.

Reactions: Cwalker

Drew

Reaction score
Fox has to find programming since its parent company(21st Century) is getting bought by Disney most likely. That’s why they shelled out for Thursday night Football and now Smackdown.

The article listed above says several times about the “need for live programming” but if they’re moving it back to Friday it can’t be live right? I mean the way it worked before was live shows on Mon and Tues, and that Tuesday show was SD Live. Unless they are truly going to keep the brand split alive(which is my hope) will they go ahead and pull the trigger on completely separate rosters? Meaning you won’t see guys popping up on Raw or SD from the other show...and if they do it’ll be a bigger deal?

Considering I already order SD to Raw as it is, I’m excited for this.

Also, as y’all know I don’t watch live. I record and watch the episode after the fact, normally in about 30 min-hour at most and feel like I don’t miss anything.