Raw Rating: July 16

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
GrammarNazi82 said:
OK, this may be a bit off topic, but can I be the clueless one to ask what I'm sure is a really stupid question? (Only because seriously, I have no clue how these things work. I just think the end result stats are interesting.)

How do they know the exact demographic of the viewers? I mean, if it's a family household with a TV tuned in to Raw, for instance, how do they know the age and gender of the people in that household watching? I've never known how that works.

I'll go hide in embarrassment for a bit now and check this thread later. ;)

Been asked before, none of us know for sure. No one really outside of the television industry knows for sure unless we go research it on blogs, lmao. I'm guessing they perhaps have information to identify the house-holders age and if it's less than X then it gets put into one demographic. It has to be rough either way.

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Isn't it to do with Neilsen boxes? To apply for one you fill in a form based upon that they calculate it for the population?

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Been asked before, none of us know for sure. No one really outside of the television industry knows for sure unless we go research it on blogs, lmao. I'm guessing they perhaps have information to identify the house-holders age and if it's less than X then it gets put into one demographic. It has to be rough either way.

Whew, I feel so much better. Thanks! :dawg: I thought I was the only one clueless about that.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Crayo said:
lol, no. As I try to tell you all every time this comes up, it's from viewer diaries kept by people.

and yea, it's a hella rough estimate. They are just taking the information they get and projecting it on a national scale. It's Blue, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

Seabs said:
Isn't it to do with Neilsen boxes? To apply for one you fill in a form based upon that they calculate it for the population?
Boxes are still pretty rare, which is weird to me. I would think in 2012 they would be common, but the diaries are still the vast majority of what is being taken into consideration.