RAW Hits Record Low Rating

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Im sure USA would like the ratings to be higher but they obviously aren't to concerned about it since they just took Smackdown to be on there channel which only gets like half of what Raw does.

That's flawed reasoning. Just because they are bringing Smackdown to USA doesn't mean they are not too concerned about the ratings. It could mean they believe that WWE will turn the ratings around... they could believe that having Smackdown on the network will help boost ratings for Raw... they could simply believe that since Raw is the highest rated show on their network that Smackdown might become the second highest. It's all irrelevant to the level of their concern about ratings. Because although they are making money, they will ALWAYS be concerned about making more.

Raw is in no danger of being cancelled. However, that doesn't mean that USA doesn't want the ratings for it to be higher. The higher the ratings, the more money they make from sponsors. So they might be making money right now but it's naive to think that they are not concerned enough to want the ratings to be higher. USA benefits from higher ratings on Raw monetarily and by bringing attention to other shows. Smackdown is more than likely going to turn a profit for USA as Raw likely still does now. But what Smackdown will also do is get the WWE fanbase to watch USA on nights when they usually do not watch USA and that may get higher ratings for their other shows on that night. That is a huge benefit to bringing Smackdown to USA, regardless of Raw's ratings.

But just because the shows are not in danger of being cancelled and just because they will be USA's highest rated shows in no way means they are not very concerned about the ratings. BUT since USA pays for the show, not WWE, the ratings hit their pocketbook before WWE's. WWE has the network and live gate and PPV buys (less now though) to get revenue... USA has sponsors. Raw has had a history of bouncing back and USA is likely counting on it to do this again. But simply because they are bringing Smackdown aboard does not indicate they are not concerned about the low ratings.

Edit: in talking with my sister I just realized too that since Smackdown is not live, it is a cheaper show to produce. So Smackdown can get lower ratings than Raw and still turn a sizable profit for USA since it costs less money to produce.

The easiest answer is they are likely concerned but realize things are not beyond repair at the moment. They're not going to just turn their backs on the show but I guarantee if it goes on like this in a downward trend, USA will get very concerned very fast.

Last edited:

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
That's flawed reasoning. Just because they are bringing Smackdown to USA doesn't mean they are not too concerned about the ratings. It could mean they believe that WWE will turn the ratings around... they could believe that having Smackdown on the network will help boost ratings for Raw... they could simply believe that since Raw is the highest rated show on their network that Smackdown might become the second highest. It's all irrelevant to the level of their concern about ratings. Because although they are making money, they will ALWAYS be concerned about making more.

Raw is in no danger of being cancelled. However, that doesn't mean that USA doesn't want the ratings for it to be higher. The higher the ratings, the more money they make from sponsors. So they might be making money right now but it's naive to think that they are not concerned enough to want the ratings to be higher. USA benefits from higher ratings on Raw monetarily and by bringing attention to other shows. Smackdown is more than likely going to turn a profit for USA as Raw likely still does now. But what Smackdown will also do is get the WWE fanbase to watch USA on nights when they usually do not watch USA and that may get higher ratings for their other shows on that night. That is a huge benefit to bringing Smackdown to USA, regardless of Raw's ratings.

But just because the shows are not in danger of being cancelled and just because they will be USA's highest rated shows in no way means they are not very concerned about the ratings. BUT since USA pays for the show, not WWE, the ratings hit their pocketbook before WWE's. WWE has the network and live gate and PPV buys (less now though) to get revenue... USA has sponsors. Raw has had a history of bouncing back and USA is likely counting on it to do this again. But simply because they are bringing Smackdown aboard does not indicate they are not concerned about the low ratings.

Edit: in talking with my sister I just realized too that since Smackdown is not live, it is a cheaper show to produce. So Smackdown can get lower ratings than Raw and still turn a sizable profit for USA since it costs less money to produce.

The easiest answer is they are likely concerned but realize things are not beyond repair at the moment. They're not going to just turn their backs on the show but I guarantee if it goes on like this in a downward trend, USA will get very concerned very fast.

Well, like I said, Im sure they would like the ratings to be higher. They are a business, so thats obvious. By "not concerned" I meant more along the lines of they obviously feel WWE is more way beneficial or negative on there network, which is why they are picking up Smackdown now. But its not like they can take any action to do anything about it the ratings. Raw is there number 1 show so they want to hold onto WWE has long as they can. So pretty much WWE has USA network bent over, and can do pretty much whatever they please. If not, WWE will take their programming somewhere else.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well, like I said, Im sure they would like the ratings to be higher. They are a business, so thats obvious. By "not concerned" I meant more along the lines of they obviously feel WWE is more way beneficial or negative on there network, which is why they are picking up Smackdown now. But its not like they can take any action to do anything about it the ratings. Raw is there number 1 show so they want to hold onto WWE has long as they can. So pretty much WWE has USA network bent over, and can do pretty much whatever they please. If not, WWE will take their programming somewhere else.

Well first, you overestimate WWE's bargaining power. In case you're not aware, both SyFy and USA are both owned by the same company NBC Universal. So moving to Smackdown to USA is not really a huge change. It's still the same company. Moving them to a different company is not as simple as it seems it would be an it's unlikely that another company will just pick up a show that is showing such a strong downward trend in ratings. WWE is under contract to NBC Universal and cannot just move their shows to other channels at their own whim. The new deal with NBC was signed only a year ago and although the length of the deal was not disclosed, these deals usually run about 5 years. WWE cannot just take their shows and leave. USA can do a lot if the ratings tank... they can move the shows elsewhere and they maintain the right to cancel them. Which is not going to happen, but USA is more in control of the situation than WWE is.

Plus this can effect WWE... if they were to lose their TV deal for some reason, their stock would likely plummet and that would hit them pretty hard financially. I am sure they are a lot more concerned about the ratings than we would like to think they are. I mean when they have a kayfabe story with Donald Trump buying Raw, their stock tanked... Raw needs stability as it really has a direct effect on WWE Stock.

Last edited:

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
Seriously, what a perfect thread.

Good OP, good first response, Balor clocking in, Jacob Fox gathering the children for story time, KevinJamesFan doing some of the best funposting I've seen in years.

WWE may be spiraling down the shitter but we are not.

We have the two star pieces (Aaron Bomber & KevinJamesFan) we just have to be the talent that surrounds it.

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
No need to repeat the obvious as far as the low ratings are concerned and the cause if it. It ain't news that WWE has gotten as boring as never before so just to add to the discussion, here's a clip below just a nice reminder of how fun things used to be:

My point here has obviously nothing to do with Kurt Angle (though allow me to dream that he may actually show up for one more run). The bigger picture here in my view? Listen to the pop when the music hits, the fans going at it, Angle working on that and then of course the whole promo itself. Funny, clever and enjoyable to watch, thus the total opposite of what we are watching nowadays...