Rate/Talk about the PPV 2004 Part 14: Armageddon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Choose Slack

Reaction score
Armageddon04.jpg

Smackdown Only

Match 1: Rey Mysterio and RVD defeated Renee Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki to retain Tag Belts. . Some sequences were genuinely good, but others were simply too sloppy. The main problem here though was that the match lasted too long at 17 minutes. Or more specifically, Rey played the face in peril for far too long. Unfortunately, Rene & Kenzo's offense isn't good enough to sustain such a long period of time. 4/10

Match 2: Daniel Puder beat Mike Mizian in a DIXIE DOGFIGHT MATCH OF DOOOOOOM!!! While it was only 3 one minute rounds, I'm surprised that Puder couldn't counter Mizanin's charging style. What a piece of shit. 1/10

Match 3: Basham Brothers defeated Charlie Haas and Hardcore Holly. Filler 6 minute match that wasn't at all helped by the lack of any build-up. Haas came out all fired up to add some much needed intensity to the bout, and it did work to a large extent. The Bashams looked quite good as a team, while Haas & Holly very much looked like 2 singles wrestlers thrown together. 4/10

Match 4: John Cena beat Jesus in a streetfight to retain U.S Title. : A total squash match that reminded me of WWF Superstars circa 1988. Jesus hardly got in an offensive move over the 8 minute duration. Nothing spectacular in the hardcore stakes & only served to show Cena's improving intense side. 2/10

Match 5: Dawn Marie defeated Miss Jackie. Two minute (for want of a better word) match, which only served to lead up to what happened afterwards. The intensity was decent, I suppose, but that was about it. Plus, Miss Jackie wrestling, still equals extreme sloppiness. Afterwards, Haas called Dawn-Marie a "slut" & compared Jackie to a "dead wet fish". 2/10

Match 6: Big Show beat Kurt Angle, Luther Reigns and Mark Jindrak in a Handicap Match. I'll never be a fan of wrestlers defeating other main-eventers in a handicap match, and this was no exception. Decently put together 10 minute match, but you just have to wonder how Angle can beat TBS in a singles match one year, then can't beat him the next with the help of 2 other big men. The heels came out of this looking really bad, while The Big Show should be unstoppable going on this form. 4/10

Match 7: Funaki beat Spike Dudley to win the CW Title. Started off really well with some good fast-paced counter wrestling, but quickly became mediocre & unspectacular. Too many submission holds (weak ones at that) throughout the middle stages of this 10 minute match totally put the crowd to sleep. 3/10

Match 8: JBL defeated The Undertaker, Booker T, and Eddie Guerrero in a Fatal Fourway match to retain World Title. : For the most part, this main event clicked really well. There was more than usual multi-man action for a fourway, while the face vs face sequences of the bout were surprisingly intriguing. Furthermore, watching all 4 combatant's strategies during the match was somewhat fascinating. Some genuinely good spots (both in & outside the ring), and excellent offensive spurts by especially Eddie & Booker. It's a shame that the unpredictability of the bout was basically thrown out the window with a pre-match segment showing JBL resigned to losing his title. He retained with the help of Heidenreich in a rather predictable & uninspiring finish. Overall though, a surprisingly good main event. MOTN. 8/10

Overall: 3.5 With the exception of the Main Event, this card was a piece of shit. Worst PPV of the year.[/center]

Soulpower

3/10..

Pretty much what you said. It made no sense to make Big Show look unstoppable against three men when he's always struggled against one of them (Angle). The ME was good, but I'm still pissed about JBL retaining. It was the perfect time to let JBL drop the title without getting pinned, and start a feud with the new champ.