Rap Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

Reaction score
Jay-z Talks Success, “Watch The Throne” Delays & Illuminati Rumors

Read more: Jay-z Talks Success, “Watch The Throne” Delays & Illuminati Rumors | Necole Bitchie.com

Jay-z has come a long way from Marcy projects with a net worth of $450 million, business investments in the Nets, Carol’s Daughter, ‘Fela’, 40/40 Club and of course, married to “the hottest chick in the game”. He recently sat down with Delta Sky Magazine and discussed how success has affected his music, why his new collaborative album with Kanye <NOBR style="COLOR: #95181c" id=itxthook0w2nobr class="itxtrst itxtrstnobr itxthooknobr">West </NOBR> has been delayed, and why he empathizes with the less fortunate. He also voiced his thoughts on the “illuminati” rumors.
On Why He Hasn’t Been Putting Out As Much Music
Success takes you away from the music. Before success, there weren’t interviews or photo shoots, it was just everyday studio. Now it’s a big thing to get in the studio. It’s like a process just to get there. And once I’m there, I have to dial into an emotion.”
On the “Watch The Throne” Delays
Ye is just in an extraordinary creative place — so much so that I need to get him to focus so we can finish this. But music is his refuge right now.
On Rumors that he is a part of a secret society
I may sound a little arrogant but I just think people can’t handle when somebody is successful. Something has gotta be wrong; you gotta be down with some higher power. And I guess when someone else is successful; it makes you feel like maybe you’re a failure. So it can’t be you, it has to be some other force.
On what influenced “Empire State Of Mind”
Where I am, it’s not typical. And my life is not typical for people from where I am from. [Empire State of Mind] is about this metaphorical, aspirational place that you can go and forget who you use to be. You know, to have this brand new start. And I haven’t said this before. I haven’t connected into those sort of emotions. I’m still trying to tap into them as a writer and human being.
On empathizing with the less fortunate
I wish I could have everyone change places for a day. I think that’s all it would take for everything to change. Empathy. It’s easy for me to empathize because I’ve really seen it. I’ve been there so I can never forget that. My job is to speak out and provide opportunity. Of course, [it feels good to be looked up to] and your ego tells you that you want more of that –but you don’t want too much of that. Fame is a super drug. I’ve seen so many people take it and just go the wrong route. I just try to stay quiet and not get caught up in all of the noise of what this means or what my brand means. Just try to remain, you know, a normal human being.

Kairi

Reaction score
[youtube]4JipHEz53sU[/youtube]

new nicki

Kairi

Reaction score
Ice-T, Soulja Boy Resume Beef Over "Juice" Remake

Ice-T and Soulja Boy had a little back-n-forth war of words back in 2008, but it died down fairly quickly. Now, nearly three years later, the rap stars are at it again ... over the young rapper's upcoming remake of the classic 1992 film, "Juice."

During an interview with Shade 45 last week, Ice-T shared his opinion about Soulja Boy starring in the film in the role of Bishop, which was originally played by Tupac.

Although the rap veteran didn't mention Soulja Boy by name, he said remaking a classic Tupac film is just ridiculous.

"What?" he said. "But that's Pac... At some point, somebody gotta stop it. I came out. I made some statements. Man, I don't know. Do you, dude, do you. If the masses accept it, it shows you the state we're in... Come on man, you think I'd try to remake Pac's movie? Good luck though, I'm not a hater ...Eh."

After hearing about the interview, the young rapper took to Twitter later that same day, jokingly dissing Ice and telling him to mind his own business.

"I'm done with this n****. someone get this guy a hairline asap. If your name is Ice-T you are #losing not #winning better yet you #lost," Soulja Boy wrote (@SouljaBoy). "Ice-T I tell you what bring your dirty ass to atlanta and do a show if you don't get bood of stage I will top hoeing you. until then u lame

"Ice-T need to sit his old ass down n**** always got my name in his mouth damn bra nobody care what you think bruh," he continued.

Since this has circulated, Ice-T has responded to all the drama via his own Twitter, brushing it off as something that the Internet has started outta nothin. Yet, he did not respond to Soulja Boy's comments directly.

"Hip Hop is so wack that blog n****z try to start beef over nothin.. Come on son," he wrote (@FinalLevel), later adding, " For the record..I ain't thinkin bout none of this rap GOSSIP bullshit.Shit is corny. Hip Hop! Talk about the music..not manufactured drama."

In 2008, the pair got into a back-n-forth on Youtube after Ice-T accused Soulja Boy of "single handedly killing hip-hop". At the time, the young rapper was enjoying success off his breakout single, "Crank Dat," and was just 17 years old. They threw a couple disses at each other and it was left at that.<!-- / message -->

Kairi

Reaction score
Kanye West Debuts Line of Scarves

Wanna dress like Yeezy? Now you can upgrade your swag with the fashion-forward rapper’s newest accessory. Kanye West has collaborated with French design partnership M/M (Paris) for a line of silk scarves inspired by the artwork for his latest album.

The five limited-edition designs, which go on sale Monday, are based on paintings done by artist George Condo for the cover of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The silk-printed images, named Power, Phoenix, Face, Priest, and Ballerina, are based on West’s musical fantasies and include the controversial nude album cover.

If you want one, you better act fast. Only 100 of each scarf will be produced. The $365 items will be sold exclusively through French boutique Colette, Chicago’s RSVP Gallery, and online on M/M (Paris)’s website.

Kairi

Reaction score
Sir Mix-a-Lot Talks "Baby Got Back," Big Butts, and Big Women

In 1992, the Seattle rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot mounted a deeply dented half-peach hill and boasted proudly, defiantly, ravenously: I Like. Big. Butts! And I cannot lie! Nearly 20 years later, "Baby Got Back" still reigns as the big-booty anthem of the 20th century. Although the archetype of feminine pulchritude lyrically sculpted by the Billboard chart-topper was one with an "itty bitty" waist planted atop a "real thick and juicy" backside, the double-Platinum classic has since been adopted as a fat-people psalm, something that Guys Who Like Fat Chicks could "nod solemnly in solidarity with," as one 28-year-old Fat Admirer interviewed for this week's feature story put it.

The 48-year-old gearhead--born Anthony Ray--didn't intend this, though he's certainly not mad at it. As the Grammy winner explained over his cell phone from Grange, Atlanta, where he'd been for a convention, he was talking more about women shaped like J. Lo "at her peak" than Nell Carter. After the jump, hip-hop's most famous ass man elaborates.

"Baby Got Back" came out almost 20 years ago.

Yeah, 20 years next year. Thinking about doing something for that. I don't know what it's going to be, but I'm really considering doing something.

It is one of the first pop songs that ever really talked about big women.

It's not the first, but it's the first to ever put it in that context. I was doing a video and I remember a director asked me what kind of girls I wanted for the video. I said, "Curvy, blah blah blah." So he got in this debate with me about what beautiful is. His perspective of "curvy" women was sluts, only good for sex. And I was like, "Where are you getting this from?" I realized it was coming from us, it was coming from my own culture. By culture, I don't mean African-Americans, I mean rap.

I realized, "Jesus Christ, what are we causing here?" That's when I said that I wanted to do a song about this from a little different perspective. I still wanted to make it fun and sexy, but at the same time I wanted to let the world know that we think these women are beautiful, not just objects.

I'm writing a story about young guys who like fat women, who prefer fat women, and your song keeps coming up.

That's funny because that's not what the song is talking about. It cracks me up. I've seen girls that look like me and been like, "Ohhhhh, I'm Baby's got Back!" And I'm like, "No, no, no, no." It wasn't "Baby Got Back and Center, and Middle, and Front." You know?

Do you get a lot of that? A lot of fat women have taken the song as their anthem.

That's fine. But if somebody asked me what I had in mind when I did it, it would definitely be someone like Shakira. J. Lo at her peak. That is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the dumbbell shape. The coke bottle.

I have friends of mine--like white friends of mine--that say, "White guys just don't like that." And I say, "There was a time that you did"-- that's why Marilyn Monroe is considered beautiful. There was a time when you liked curves, and a woman looking like a woman and not a heroin addict. Now, if a girl is anything over 15 pounds we think she's fat, which is funny.

What's the white-guy response to "Baby Got Back?"

Obviously, more white people like the song than black. Black people kind of view "Baby Got Back" as like, "Oh, yeah, we already knew that." It's not even an issue to them. They wouldn't even think to sing about it. Whereas white guys are kind of like, "Yeah, finally!"

I go to LA Fitness now, and the first thing that I notice is that every girl who comes in is like, "I want to build this up" and they're always pointing at their ass. Think about that? Going back to the '80s, you would never have a white girl being like, "I really want to pump this up." They usually wanted to get rid of it, which, I never understood that.

In black culture, it seems far more common to see a big woman in a sexual way.

That's where women get confused, when they say "big women." See, Shakira's not big. That's what black guys are singing about. People confuse it with Nell Carter--and it's like, "No no no. That's not what we are talking about! We are talking about a 22-inch waist with 35-inch, 38-inch ass." That's what we're talking about. And they are usually in shape, they usually have six-packs. They usually are really buff, and they work out, and they have beautiful, round butts.

So then, do you ever get too much love from fat women?

It doesn't bother me. I just like to make sure people have a good understanding as to what I'm talking about. A lot of people have tried to stretch it into something else. I mean, Beyonce, another example. And I don't think anybody would call Beyonce a big woman.

It's not that you don't love a girl that's heavy-set, that's not what I'm saying. I just think that some people confuse the ideal. I get into that a lot, when [people are] like, "Well, isn't that what you like?" And I'm like, "Dude, I can fall in love with any woman. But if we're being strictly shallow here, I'd have to say it's the coke bottle."

There've been so many parodies of "Baby Got Back" over the years.

There are a lot of them. I am real careful how I use the song. Even more so than "Mix-a-Lot," the song's its own brand.

You have to be real careful how you use it. Other people can use it, but you can't. Like when I did the Butterfinger commercial? There were things they wanted me to do in the commercial--excuse me, I mean Burger King--there were things they wanted me to do in that commercial that I wasn't going to do.

Like what?

I wasn't going to dance with SpongeBob.

What happens is the song starts to turn into a joke and then nobody wants to use it anymore. There's no value in paying for the publishing if you whore it out a little too much. I use it--I mean I use it, because what's the point of owning your publishing if you are not going to monetize it--but I just don't go nuts with it.

Because of the song, have you gotten invited to crazy events in the last 20 years?

I've had some crazy shit happen! For some reason, girls want to prove themselves to me. I kind of like that part. The cool thing about being down here in Georgia is that the culture down here, they get it. They know exactly what I'm talking about, and they'll show me they know. In Seattle, they are a little confused.

Back when the song came out, there were a lot of people who were offended by it. I remember getting in this debate with a bunch of girls at a college that were boycotting my show. Their point was, "You've reduced a woman to a body part." They were shocked by it. I said, "Yeah, I agree!" But I said, "Understand my dilemma here. If you're an entertainer, you've got about three minutes and 35 seconds to hit them with a hook." So if I did "Baby Got Brains," "Baby Got A Job," "Baby Has Intelligence"? Nobody wants to hear that. You have to give them a little bit of a 'Wow' factor. So I told them, "If you listen to the song, though, I'm talking about the body, but I'm talking about acceptance. I am talking about girls who have naturally curvy physiques being able to take the sweater from around their waists and be proud of it."

But what about the belly? Plenty of girls have the sweater around their waists because they're hiding their bellies. They shouldn't take the sweater off if they've got bellies?

No, they're usually covering up their butts. That's what they used to do.

I used to date a girl--the one who does the "Oh my God" part on "Baby Got Back." She was so in shape, ran five miles a day, stomach flat as a pancake, but she had a big juicy butt. She was adopted, so she went to an all-white school, and they teased her about her butt being fat back then. Even though it wasn't! I mean, that girl was in shape. This girl made J. Lo look horrible, that's how dangerous she was. I used to walk her out onstage and the white girls were like, "Ya-ow!" And I was like, "Well, that changed pretty quick."

But [2 Live Crew's] Luke Skyywalker was doing this long before I was. It was just a little more about sex.

He was a lot more coarse about it, and people weren't necessarily ready for that. You were the guy who crossed over, though.

Yeah, and I intended to do that. I intended to make the song a little more accessible. If I just said, "Bitch got a big ass and give me head," all you're doing is feeding into a stereotype.

Here's another stereotype that people have. I was talking to a friend of mine, he works at a radio station, he was inviting me to something the radio station was doing. He's never talked to me about women--at all--and by default he says I should come, "Because there's a lot of white women, and I know how you guys like that." I was like, "Let me get that straight. Who did you hear this from?" He was like, "That's what rappers say." And I was like, "What rapper?" I said, "Last I checked, rappers are equal-opportunity fuckers."

It's like there is some stereotype that comes more from athletes. I have noticed in football that's the tendency. But in hip-hop, the last I checked, we don't care what color they came.

Have you ever gotten tired of being the "ass guy"?

Nah. Here's another thing that cracks me up: a lot of people hate their hit song. Have you ever noticed that? They're like, "I'm bigger than just that song." They say that stuff, and then they yank the credibility right out from their own song. So with "Baby Got Back" I said, "Hey, it's a blessing. I'm going to live it, I'm going to have fun with it, and I've been doing it for over 20 years."

I'm not ashamed of it either. You'll never hear me complaining about the song. My manager told me the other day, "Dude, that song is now Americana!"

It's funny to hear you call the song "Americana," but it kind of is--talking about body types in that way in 1992?

For me, personally--and call me chauvinist--but I don't like a girl that looks like a 10-year-old boy from behind. There's nothing sexy about that. I like when a woman is shaped like a woman.

That being said, I have to get rid of this big stomach I have. But that's another issue.

I'll tell you what I do get a little tired of: When people walk up, and they kind of know who I am, but they're not sure, and they'll say, "Who are you?" And I'll go, "Well, I'm Anthony." And they'll say, "Okay, you're not him." Then they come back and they are like, "You're Mix-a-Lot." And I'm like, "Yeah!" And they're like, "No, you're not. Sing the song!" And I'm like, "Are you kidding me? You really want me to sing the song in the middle of a restaurant? You really work at FedEx? Prove it to me. Deliver me a package."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Kairi

Reaction score
New Music: Ja Rule – ‘Superstar’

With a month to go before he starts serving his prison sentence, Ja Rule toasts to the good life on “Superstar,” a cut off his forthcoming album P.ain I.s L.ove 2, due June 7. The Queens MC grapples with fame over the haunting beat produced by former Murder Inc. affiliate 7 Aurelius.

“Dear heavenly father, this devil wore a blue dress, Angelina, Madonna/ Fame monster, no relation to Gaga/ Bitch got a lot of problems/ Money ain’t one of them, promise,” raps Rule before the breathy hook kicks in.
Listen to a two-minute snippet below.

Listen here
http://www.rap-up.com/2011/05/07/new-music-ja-rule-superstar/#more-84179

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Public Enemy took a unique approach to funding its latest album Most of Our Heroes Don't Appear on a Stamp, asking fans to contribute to the process. Several years after announcing the unique project, Chuck D promises that the LP will finally see the light of day.

“There will be a new Public Enemy album. We are going to drop Most of Our Heroes Don't Appear on a Stamp late next year,” he told The BoomBox. “We have never been in the music business to make friends. We've never been the type to kiss ass. We've always strived not to repeat ourselves album to album.”

One of hip-hop’s most groundbreaking groups, Public Enemy announced the new album in October 2009, enlisting fans’ help to invest in the project through a website called Sellaband. They hit a roadblock in asking for $250,000, only making $71,000 by the end of the year. They later lowered their goal to $75,000.

“We have learned that the fan-funding model is still not fully developed and, as a result, a $250,000 fund-raising effort, while possible, will take too long to accomplish,” said the group in a statement at the time.

Source: Chuck D Promises New Public Enemy Album By Next Year | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
Sure was a interesting way to try and get an album together having it fan funded but they were kidding themselves if they thought they'd get 250 k for it considering it's hard for artist to even get 250 k in sales nowadays.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...-promises-new-public-enemy-album-by-next-year

Kairi

Reaction score
[youtube]P-fb1oPkINo[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
[youtube]YPx8Y1xYbhA[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
new pitbull

[youtube]EPo5wWmKEaI[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
[youtube]8b0Dxj72hBg[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
P. Diddy has been crowned the wealthiest artist in hip-hop, with a fortune of $475 million.
The 'Hello Good Morning' rapper beat Jay-Z - who has an estimated wealth of $450 million - to claim the top spot in a list compiled by Forbes magazine.

The rapper and producer's wealth is fueled by his Sean John clothing brand, Bad Boy Worldwide record label and his vodka brand Ciroc - a joint venture with drinks brand Diageo - which generates his largest profit.

Diddy - who has humble roots - recently splashed out on his son, Justin, buying him a $405,000 limousine for becoming an Honors student, but insists none of his seven children are spoiled by wealth.
He said: "Justin has turned himself around so I wanted to treat him. Maybe he will use the car for special occasions like on a first date, but like all my kids, he prefers the simpler things than the expensive things. Simple tastes."

Although Diddy has the most accumulated wealth, Jay-Z was the highest earning hip-hop star of 2010, making some $63 million - more than double the $30 million taken by Diddy.

Jay-Z's accumulated wealth is from his 50 million album sales, tour revenue, 40/40 nightclub chain and a stake in the Basketball team New Jersey Nets.

Third on the list was producer Dr. Dre, with $125 million, although his net worth is expected to increase when he makes a comeback this year.

In joint fourth and fifth place are rapper and entrepreneur 50 Cent, and Bryan Birdman' Williams, the founder of hip-hop label Cash Money records, who are worth some $100 million each.

1. P Diddy ($475)
2. Jay-Z ($450)
3. Dr. Dre ($125)
4. 50 Cent ($100)
5. Bryan 'Birdman' Williams ($100)

Kairi

Reaction score
[youtube]KjieHDgoJsE[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
Soulja Boy serves up two videos from his latest mixtape Juice. In the visuals for the title track, which has also inspired a remake of Tupac’s film, the 20-year-old MC rocks Pac’s haircut from the 1992 crime drama while rapping in front of a red Bentley GT. He later takes it to the hood for a block party in the colorful video for “Zan With That Lean.”

[youtube]yb9J5V7D6wo[/youtube]

[youtube]n-xBjSwL79o[/youtube]

Kairi

Reaction score
ps-i-love-you.jpg

lil mo mixtape cover

Status
Not open for further replies.