Rap Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

Reaction score
Swizz Beatz Bares His Chest For Paper Magazine

<center> </center>

South Bronx native Swizz Beatz covers the summer 2011 issue of Paper magazine. The 32-year-old artist, who has deals with Reebok, Aston Martin, and Christian Louboutin, and is a Producer-in-Residence at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, has definitely come a long way from his days as the in-house producer for the Ruff Ryders.
As one of the most sought after producers in the music industry, Swizz reflects upon his success saying:

“Man, I crossed bridges in the industry that should stop water. Me coming from the South Bronx and partnering up with Christian Louboutin — we’re not supposed to be in that world!”
As far as his marriage to singer Alicia Keys, he tells the magazine:
“Being married to a public figure made people take a second look at me.”

Kairi

Reaction score
Bad Meets Evil wreaks havoc on the albums chart this week with Hell: The Sequel. The dynamic duo of Eminem and Royce Da 5’9″ enters the Billboard 200 at No. 1 with their collaborative EP.

A decade after they last recorded together, the Detroit MCs debut with 171,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Eminem last held the No. 1 spot with Recovery, which spent seven weeks at No. 1 in 2010. Royce Da 5’9″ previously peaked at No. 110 with his 2009 solo project Street Hop.

Pop powerhouse Adele’s 21 slides to No. 3 (115,000), while Lady Gaga’s Born This Way moves down two spots to No. 4 (68,000).

Among the new entries this week is R&B singer Ledisi, whose fifth album Pieces of Me comes in at No. 8 with 36,000, marking her first top 10 entry and biggest sales week of her career.

Kairi

Reaction score
Lil Wayne on the cover of XXL <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Quote:
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px inset currentColor;" class="alt2">In the latest issue of XXL, Lil' Wayne talks to Shaheem Reid about his music and his life. He tells him,

“What is good about me is that I’m an interesting muthafucka. I’m Dwayne Michael Carter period! Whether I’m a rapper or not, I’m interesting. And that’s what my album’s gonna be about: me and how interesting I am.â€

The magazine hits the stands on July 12.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Kairi

Reaction score
Missy Elliott To Kick Off New Season of VH1’s Behind The Music

The Emmy Award winning series, Behind The Music, is celebrating it’s 14th Anniversary this August. To commemorate the milestone, VH1 is unleashing a new set of documentaries this summer, featuring some of music’s biggest stars.
Continue reading to see who’s on the list…​

To start things off, one of the most recognized and prolific female emcees Missy Elliott, will be dissected next. The season will also feature shows on American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert, and the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul herself, Mary J. Blige. Behind The Music’s summer run will additionally include shows dedicated to Enrique Iglesias, Miranda Lambert, Ricky Martin, and Ice Cube. Check out VH1’s blog for details on airtimes.

Though, we’re ecstatic at the news of Behind The Music’s return, I can’t help but feel a sense of deja vu. Both Ricky Martin and Mary J. Blige, have previous Behind The Music episodes, while Missy Elliott and Enrique Iglesias were featured on VH1’s Driven (a derivative of Behind The Music). Of course, a lot has changed with each of these artist since the early 2000’s when their episodes aired. Yet, it’s interesting, why VH1 chose to revisit these acts, instead of tackling fresh subjects?​

Kairi

Reaction score
It seems that there is no stopping the technicolor steam train that is Nicki Minaj’s life. For today she was confirmed as one of the many acts appearing at this years BET Awards which will also see Kelly Rowland and Chris Brown take to the stage.
Find out more below…

Nominated for two awards on Sunday’s ceremony (which will see ThatGrapeJuice on the red carpet), it will be the second time the ‘Did It On Em‘ darling would have appeared at the show following her performance last year with Diddy Dirty Money.
Recently kicking off the ‘Femme Fatale Tour’ with Britney Spears, Ms. Minaj will join fellow Young Money members Lil Wayne & Drake who are two of the events headlining acts.
Will you be watching the BET Awards?

Kairi

Reaction score
Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, and Bruno Mars are headed to the BET Awards this weekend.

The superstars are among the latest additions to this year’s lineup, along with Queen Latifah and Gladys Knight, reports the AP. The Pink Friday rapper is nominated for two awards at Sunday’s ceremony, while the “Grenade” singer has two nods.
Performers for the 11th annual show include Lil Wayne, Drake, Mary J. Blige, Kelly Rowland, Trey Songz, Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, and Rick Ross, as well as Beyoncé, who will appear via a pre-taped performance from the Glastonbury Festival in England.
The BET Awards ’11 will air live from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on Sunday, June 26.

Kairi

Reaction score
David Guetta is firing up the dance floor this summer with some of music’s biggest names. The French hitmaker has enlisted an all-star cast of collaborators for his new album.

Guetta’s 5th studio LP Nothing But the Beat arrives August 30 featuring collaborations with Usher, will.i.am, Snoop Dogg, Akon, Jennifer Hudson, Sia, Timbaland, and Dev. A video for the lead single “Where Them Girls At” with Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj will debut next week.
This is the Grammy-winning DJ’s first album since 2009’s One Love, which has sold over 3 million copies worldwide and spawned the hit singles “When Love Takes Over” and “Sexy Bitch.”
Listen to the second single “Little Bad Girl” featuring Ludacris and Taio Cruz.

http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/22/us...hudson-step-to-david-guettas-beat/#more-88830

Kairi

Reaction score
Game searches for his “Pot of Gold” on the introspective single off his upcoming R.E.D. Album, due August 23. The Compton MC raps about being misunderstood while Chris Brown laments about life in the spotlight, wishing for simpler days. “Give Interscope two more albums then I’m done for good,” proclaims Game on the guitar-laced melody, which hits iTunes on June 28. Follow the rainbow…

http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/22/new-music-game-f-chris-brown-pot-of-gold/

Kairi

Reaction score
Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine performed their duet “Moves Like Jagger” yesterday, and tonight their fellow “Voice” coach Cee Lo Green entertained America with an electrifying performance on NBC’s “The Voice.” Mr. Green, wearing a toupée and white suit, conducted an orchestra while singing “Bright Lights, Bigger City.” Never a dull moment when it comes to Cee Lo.

http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/22/cee-lo-green-delivers-thrills-on-the-voice-video/

Kairi

Reaction score
Cee Lo Green sat down with the “bold, beautiful, black, brilliant” Lupe Fiasco for an interview on the series premiere of his new Fuse talk show “Talking to Strangers.” The Chicago rapper spoke about growing up the son of a Black Panther, why he’s politically outspoken, the music he grew up listening to, how he got his rap moniker, and why Nas is his favorite MC.
“When I got It Was Written, my life changed,” said Lupe, before spitting some of Nas’ lyrics. “It wasn’t just violence for violence’s sake, it wasn’t vulgarity for vulgarity’s sake, but there’s a message behind it.”
He also performed “Out of My Head,” “The Show Goes On,” and “Daydreamin’.”

http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/23/cee-lo-green-interviews-lupe-fiasco-video/

Kairi

Reaction score
Looks like Soulja Boy decided it was time for a new look and the results are … interesting to say the least.

Vibe reports the black boy bleaching trend Wiz Khalifa and Breezy debuted this year continues with none other than pretty joe Soulja joining in on the dye life. Vlad TV dropped the above photo of the try-anything rapper’s new Ken doll-inspired ‘do.

Kairi

Reaction score
Nicki Minaj Talks Britney Tour, Wardrobe Malfunctions & Audience Differences

Thu, Jun 23 2011 by Bitchie Staff | Filed Under: Celebrities

<center> </center>
Head Barbie In Charge, Nicki Minaj has serious grind for a newcomer in the game. She has not only been featured on two tours this year, they just happened to be two of the largest tours to take place in 2011. First, she joined her Young Money boss Lil Wayne for his ‘I Am Still Music’ tour, and now she’s just begun roaming the states with pop princess Britney Spears for her Femme Fatale shows.
Though recently Rolling Stone magazine gave Nicki a less than favorable review of her live performance, she hasn’t let that rain on her parade. The rapper recently sat down with the L.A. Times and shared her experiences while out on the road with Britney Spears as well as what it is like to perform for a pop audience that tends to be less critical than hip hop audiences.
On the creative direction of the show.
I wanted the direction to feel like a few girls from another planet. One of them just happens to be “the chosen one.” They embark on a journey to go to a few different cities and search for this person named Nemesis. I wanted it to be really theatrical and fun. And I just wanted to make the audience feel like they were spying on our world.
On performing for a pop audience and how it differs from a hip hop audience
Well, initially, what I thought was I hope this audience will appreciate what I do. What I first dealt with was a bit of the unknown. Is this something that Britney’s crowd will even enjoy? But it all went away the first night. I stood in the transporter, that big prop that we have on the stage, and I could not believe the crowd reaction before they even saw me. It was very emotional for me. I was so shocked. I thought, OK, on the Wayne tour, this is my audience, everyone that knows Wayne, they know Nicki Minaj. When I heard those screams, it was one of the best feelings in the world. It changed overnight. I’m pleasantly surprised with the people coming out on this show; they generally are coming out not to critique, but to have fun. The hip-hop community tends to be more critical. On this stage, I felt a little bit more free.
On How Much Time She Had To Prepare For The Britney Tour
I’m going to be honest: I haven’t even done a dress rehearsal for this tour yet. I know most people wouldn’t come out and say that, but we’ve been really, really pulling this off by the skin of my teeth because like you said, I had just come off a tour, and right after the tour we had to prep for a lot of other things. We really didn’t have a lot of prep time, and then of course I’m not the headlining act so I didn’t get time on the stage, I didn’t get time for my lighting and my cues. We really have been pulling it off.
I wanted more time to nurture the show and get it to the point where I was ready to see it, but unfortunately tick, tick, tick, it was time to go up. So just being honest, I really don’t think the show is where I want it to be as far as preparation. People don’t notice, you’ll never know, but I’m having all these wardrobe malfunctions. [During Monday’s performance] my dress broke, I couldn’t walk down the aisle on “Fly,” for the fight scene my holster didn’t come off in time — it was a lot of craziness backstage. I really can’t wait for people to see this show after we start to feel comfortable. These three shows have been our dress rehearsals. We’re definitely not in our comfort zone yet.
On if she will be headlining a solo tour and what she has taken from both the Wayne and Britney tours
Let me just say I’m going to take from Britney and Wayne, because they’re both veterans. Being completely honest I’ve learned so much from them, in terms of production. Britney’s production is so amazing. When I sat out there the first night to watch it, I felt like I was a kid at an amusement park. It was so much, the lights, the content and the props. Whereas Wayne, he teaches me how to command a crowd. His comfort level and how he makes people feel like he’s their best friend when he’s onstage. He has that command. If you can put both of those two things into a show, you can really do an amazing show — that’s my goal. Am I gonna be able to do these humongous venues within the next year? Probably not. But am I gonna put on an amazing show and give everyone something that’s gonna be well worth what they paid? Absolutely yes.

Kairi

Reaction score
Ice Cube Launches Art Project To Help Minority Aids Project

Thu, Jun 23 2011 by Bitchie Staff | Filed Under: Celebrities

Rapper, actor, and producer Ice Cube has partnered with artist Mark Sgarsbossa and RareInk for a new art project that will feature limited edition art pieces interpreted from Ice Cube’s music. Yesterday was the unveiling of the first of a series of the authentic, autographed pieces that will be sold exclusively on RareInk.com with a portion of the proceeds to help the Minority AIDS project. While speaking on the collection, Cube says:
“Expanding the interaction with fans of my music by offering limited edition, signed artwork that they are able to share and enjoy with their friends and family is something I feel my fans deserve. Not only does RareInk create amazing pieces of art that bring my albums and songs to life but a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Minority AIDS Project, an organization I have worked with over the past two decades.”

Pieces from the collection will include original artistic interpretations of ‘Amerikkka’s Most Wanted’ and ‘The Predator’ album covers as well as a mural piece based on his ‘It Was A Good Day’ music video.

Kairi

Reaction score
After 12 long years, Sean "Diddy" Combs has finally settled a multi-million dollar lawsuit against him stemming from a shootout at a New York nightclub back in 1999.

The successful rapper/mogul, who was dating Jennifer Lopez at the time, was at a now-gone Times Square hot spot with former protégé Jamal "Shyne" Barrow when Barrow shot three clubgoers.

According to the New York Post, Diddy has now quietly settled all civil actions against him (as for Barrow, he served nine years in prison and was deported to his native Belize after release).

Although some confidentiality agreements have been signed, former Club New York owner Michael Bergos did not sign an agreement did not, and as has revealed that the most seriously injured victim, Natania Reuben, was paid $1.8 million - while the other two victims were paid $500,000 and $50,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.