R.I.P. R&B Legend Teena Marie

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
source

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/350083/rip-rb-legend-teena-marie/

"R&B legend Teena Marie was found dead in her home Sunday. .

The Rick James protege was born Christine Brockert in Santa Monica and was 54 at the time of her death..

Marie's publicist Lynn Jeter told CNN that the singer suffered a seizure a month ago..

"Luckily, someone was there," Jeter said. "The ambulance took her to the hospital, and on the way she had another seizure." .

The cause of death was not known at press time. .

Her career spanded three decades and included stints on Motown, Epic, Cash Money, and Stax. Her 1982 departure from Motown culminated in a legal dispute. Teena's appeal resulted in the creation of the Brockert Initiative which is of great importance to recording artists. .

The law restricts a record company's ability to shelve an artist's music while simultaneously locking them into their contract..

R&B singer Mary J. Blige was among the celebrities who shared her condolences via Twitter. "[Teena Marie] inspired me vocally as a child," Blige wrote. "Her songs I sang in the mirror with a hair brush. I'm so hurt." .

A spokesperson for Stax Record, the legendary label that released her last album, 2009's "Congo Square," described the icon as humble. "Throughout her groundbreaking accomplishments, Teena remained humble, unpretentious and refreshingly down-to-earth," the label representative said in a statement. .

Gene Rumsey, Concord Music Group chief label officer, added, "We are extremely fortunate to have worked with a visionary who changed music in indelible ways. Our deepest sympathies go out to her family, friends and of course, millions of fans around the world.".

I had the pleasure of seeing Teena perform live twice, in the mid '90s at a club date opening for D'Angelo, and in 2001 on a bill with the Isley Brothers. She was incredible on stage, not just as a singer, but an accomplished musician as well..

Many of Teena's songs are among my favorites, a tribute to her unlimited vocal range, emotion, and introspective songwriting. .

Below, are a few of my picks:.

"Square Biz".

Teena shows off her rap skills in this funky, horn and bass driven dance track from her 1981 album "It Must Be Magic." The song reached No. 3 on Billboard's Black Singles chart..

"Fire And Desire" .

This classic R&B ballad duet appears on Rick James' 1981 album "Street Songs." Formerly lovers in real life, Rick and Teena sing with undeniable passion and conviction. It's one of R&B's sexiest love songs. .

"Ooo La La".

Teena scored her first and only No. 1 song on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles & Tracks chart with this infectious pop-friendly ballad. In 1996, The Fugees interpolated the chorus for their song "Fu-Gee-La.".

"Can't Last A Day" featuring Faith Evans.

One of Teena's most recent hits is "Can't Last A Day," a duet with fellow R&B soulstress Faith Evans. The song appears on Teena's 2009 album "Congo Square.".

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler