News PWI officially drops TNA title from list of world titles

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way:

If I had the money, I could start my own wrestling promotion and call my top champion the WKWF (WacoKid Wrestling Federation) World Heavyweight Champion. If my fans bought into it, why would it matter what anybody else said or did?

Also, ROH's "World Champion" (which apparently is not recognized by PWI) is Jay Lethal. TNA's was (spoiler alert) Kurt Angle until last week. The NWA's is Hiroyoshi Tenzan. These guys are world-class pro wrestlers. PWI might not recognize these titles as "world championships", but...

wk

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score

If I had the money, I could start my own wrestling promotion and call my top champion the WKWF (WacoKid Wrestling Federation) World Heavyweight Champion. If my fans bought into it, why would it matter what anybody else said or did?

Also, ROH's "World Champion" (which apparently is not recognized by PWI) is Jay Lethal. TNA's was (spoiler alert) Kurt Angle until last week. The NWA's is Hiroyoshi Tenzan. These guys are world-class pro wrestlers. PWI might not recognize these titles as "world championships", but...

wk
I agree here. I guess this news are relevant just as another indicator that TNA is on bad times, but the people who really care about what titles PWI recognizes are the same that care about Meltzer/Alvarez star ratings and get mad that they didn't give a certain match 5* (yes, I've seen that).

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score

wk
In that scenario I'm the World champion of your company, right?

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
In that scenario I'm the World champion of your company, right?

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Charlton-Heston-Planet-of-the-Apes-GIF.gif

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I grew up on Pro Wrestling Illustrated and I still read every issue. When it was difficult to get a lot of wrestling that wasn't NWA and then WCW, WWF or AWA, it was at least nice to read about it. Now, with information so much more readily available, I still enjoy PWI, but it's not as essential to me as it was as a younger adult.

I still respect PWI, but I think their World Title classification is nearly meaningless. They have always felt it was their own criteria that need to be met, but that always seemed a bit silly to me. I mean, the NWA World Heavyweight Championship is a nearly 70 year old belt that is defended across the country and the world, but it likely doesn't get world title status from PWI likely because it doesn't get the television exposure that WWE or TNA get.

Personally, I see the WWE WHC, the NWA WHC, the TNA WHC, the ROH and the IWGP as world titles. I really don't see any good argument as to how they can't be. I mean, the four North American belts have national exposure and some international. The NWA, although most of their shows are only available locally or online, still is defended among a larger group of wrestlers than any of the others. ROH gets defended at least in Japan. NJPW is the second biggest promotion in the world...

Really, the perception of the fans is what really matters. But hell, Brew City Wrestling calls their title a world title (and it's a fan replica of the WWF Eagle belt).

Looking back at my post, I really didn't make a single point really. However I spent enough time writing it that I am going to post it anyway.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Meh, TNA say it's the World Championship, it's been defended in England, Japan, Mexico ect. and who really gives a shit about what a magazine says? EC3 is World Heavyweight Champion for TNA. And I'm predicting he'll be a damn good one.