Punks WWE Future in Jeopardy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
WWE would be silly to let him go with the huge following he's created for himself. They know that as much as we do. They will accommodate his needs and most likely give him as much time as he wants.

The only way Punk is leaving the WWE is if he quits. He won't ever be fired.

"Huge following"

Where were they while he was WWE Champ and drawing record low ratings? I hate to have to keep interrupting these CM Punk threads but they are constantly filled with exaggerated posts like this.

Punk has a niche following based around internet smarks, who don't pay for PPV's and constantly whinge about guys not getting pushed. WWE isn't exactly missing out on much if those fans get disinterested.

Reaction score
The 400+ reign was just not a 400+ reign which was worth something or was anything special, CM Punk was at the right place at the right time. He sorely lacks any form of presence to be a main eventer nor can he actually cut a promo which feels emotional/mean something, he doesn't capture the crowd, only fans from Rasslin' forums. I remember John Cena's year long reign actually being interesting and worth watching, where as Punk's he was nothing more than cannon fodder who drew REALLY bad. You know someone isn't special and is overhyped when the title isn't the main event of the Pay-Per-views and when it is, it's because "the guy" is in there with him.

As for this, I couldn't careless, it's not a dramatic event which would change WWE, Punk's legacy in WWE are in the details. A bad drawing champion, was hotshotted, got into the right spot at the right time to become the longest transitional champion in history.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Someone who held the belt as long as he did can't really be called a "transitional champion". That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Transitional champions typically hold the belt for a month tops, maybe 2 in an unusual circumstance. 400+ days? No. If there was a transitional champion recently it was most certainly The Rock. Slapping that label on Punk is just nonsense.

It's also hilariously laughable that internet fans supposedly don't buy ppv's. Believe it or not, not all of us are complete cheap asses who sit alone at our computers to watch low-quality streams all the time. And it's absurd to think anyone in this day and age doesn't get on the internet at least a little. I don't even know what the term "internet fan" means anymore because this isn't 1997. For some reason I think the term people are really searching for when they say that are "losers who spend 10 hours per day on wrestling forums", which not all CM Punk's fans are and it's absurd to suggest all his fans are. There's absolutely no evidence to support that Blue generalization.

I can respect the fact you two don't care for CM Punk, but at least THINK before you post something, especially if you're going to be snide about it.

Reactions: 1 person

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
The 400+ reign was just not a 400+ reign which was worth something or was anything special, CM Punk was at the right place at the right time. He sorely lacks any form of presence to be a main eventer nor can he actually cut a promo which feels emotional/mean something, he doesn't capture the crowd, only fans from Rasslin' forums. I remember John Cena's year long reign actually being interesting and worth watching, where as Punk's he was nothing more than cannon fodder who drew REALLY bad. You know someone isn't special and is overhyped when the title isn't the main event of the Pay-Per-views and when it is, it's because "the guy" is in there with him.

As for this, I couldn't careless, it's not a dramatic event which would change WWE, Punk's legacy in WWE are in the details. A bad drawing champion, was hotshotted, got into the right spot at the right time to become the longest transitional champion in history.

I guess you weren't watching back in July of 2011, then.

Reaction score
I guess you weren't watching back in July of 2011, then.

Eh? What his promo? Yeah I remember watching the Money in the Bank build up and the show myself, excited about the entire show and match but he had this "I'm gonna shoot" thing what, three months then it all started to flop and he became boring again.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I really hate to drag this thread into another overdrawn Punk VS. Cena debate, but one of the critques you made of Punk was him bringing no emotion to his promos, and Cena does? Half the time his promos are comical and he does nothing but mock and laugh, and then expect us to take him serously when he starts shouting. Punk is more of a natually storytelling, who paces his promos to perfection in the the mold of a Ted Dibiese.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
It's also hilariously laughable that internet fans supposedly don't buy ppv's. Believe it or not, not all of us are complete cheap asses who sit alone at our computers to watch low-quality streams all the time. And it's absurd to think anyone in this day and age doesn't get on the internet at least a little. I don't even know what the term "internet fan" means anymore because this isn't 1997. For some reason I think the term people are really searching for when they say that are "losers who spend 10 hours per day on wrestling forums", which not all CM Punk's fans are and it's absurd to suggest all his fans are. There's absolutely no evidence to support that Blue generalization.

Um yeah, the vast majority don't pay for PPV's. I don't even know how you can deny this, I searched on Justin TV the night of Elimination Chamber and found 2 streams in the 100k range streaming it. And thats just on that site, for a B PPV.

As for the internet fan thing, referring specifically to wrestling forum smarks who lick indy golden boys ass. Ask anyone with at most a passing interest in wrestling what a 'CM Punk' is and they will look at you like :nash:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I have friends ask me about CM Punk more and more because he's the main guy now and is becoming a focal point. They know him for calling out that douche Chris Brown. Some of my friends, who are just MMA fans know him for being a great fan and having great interview with Ariel Helwani. Also if Punk is not a big deal, how come his shirt was more bought than Cena's shirt. It was the first time in six years Cena's shirt wasn't the most bought shirt in wrestling. Legion's post summed it up best, nothing more really needs to be said. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. It's that simple, wrestling is evolving. Go cry somewhere else because I hope this is the last time people actually bother arguing with you about Punk. I know I have, but I'm hoping this post makes the rest do the same. You are just trying to get attention, go get a a clue.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Um yeah, the vast majority don't pay for PPV's. I don't even know how you can deny this, I searched on Justin TV the night of Elimination Chamber and found 2 streams in the 100k range streaming it. And thats just on that site, for a B PPV.

As for the internet fan thing, referring specifically to wrestling forum smarks who lick indy golden boys ass. Ask anyone with at most a passing interest in wrestling what a 'CM Punk' is and they will look at you like :nash:

What does it matter what a few less-than-casual wrestling fans think of Punk? They aren't buying ppv's either, let alone streaming them, so who cares? I don't know what your problem is with Indy wrestling fans either, or the 2000 people who attend those shows. Seems like an awful waste of hate, particularly when those Indy fans are such a marginal percentage of wrestling fans, I can't fathom how you came to the conclusion that ALL of his WWE fans followed him in ROH simply because they like his WWE work. That isn't even remotely true, although I know you WANT it to be true very badly.

And I didn't say anything about many wrestling fans streaming ppv's, I was addessing your claim that it's mostly Punk's fans doing it. Out of those 100k viewers, how do you know 90% of those people aren't Cena fans? Is there a JUSTINTV statistic for that? No. You just made that up because you thought it would sound sexy and support your claim. It doesn't.

All you're saying is that Punk's fans (who are mostly Indy fans too apparently) are too "smart" and cheap to buy ppv's, whereas fans of home-grown WWE wrestlers are the ones worth pleasing because they're either too stupid to use streams or they share YOUR dislike for Punk. Am I missing something? Because if that's seriously your theory, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If you don't like it, then don't watch it. It's that simple, wrestling is evolving.

Wrestling is regressing, not evolving.

Also I don't know how many times I have to say this, I don't watch WWE, and haven't done with any regularity since Punk became a top guy and the shows became indy-centric.

What does it matter what a few less-than-casual wrestling fans think of Punk? They aren't buying ppv's either, let alone streaming them, so who cares? I don't know what your problem is with Indy wrestling fans either, or the 2000 people who attend those shows. Seems like an awful waste of hate, particularly when those Indy fans are such a marginal percentage of wrestling fans, I can't fathom how you came to the conclusion that ALL of his WWE fans followed him in ROH simply because they like his WWE work. That isn't even remotely true, although I know you WANT it to be true very badly.

And I didn't say anything about many wrestling fans streaming ppv's, I was addessing your claim that it's mostly Punk's fans doing it. Out of those 100k viewers, how do you know 90% of those people aren't Cena fans? Is there a JUSTINTV statistic for that? No. You just made that up because you thought it would sound sexy and support your claim. It doesn't.

All you're saying is that Punk's fans (who are mostly Indy fans too apparently) are too "smart" and cheap to buy ppv's, whereas fans of home-grown WWE wrestlers are the ones worth pleasing because they're either too stupid to use streams or they share YOUR dislike for Punk. Am I missing something? Because if that's seriously your theory, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Where do you think WWE pull 900k extra buys for Wrestlemania from? Hardcore fans? Their ass? No, it's casual fans that are the lifeblood of WWE. Doesn't relate to Punk anyway as he's demoted to midcarder whenever the big shows come around. People aren't going to buy or not buy depending on whether he's on the card or not, he just isn't a polarizing character to pull people in like that.

Punks fans are all indy fans. His whole fanbase is stereotypical IWC bloggers whos favourite wrestlers are Brian Danielson and Castagnoli and think anyone over 150lbs can't work a match. The proof is in every single CM Punk thread posted on this and other forums. He has no mass appeal at all. THQ went bankrupt after putting him on the cover of the WWE game ffs. What money is to be made off a mid 30's emo dwarf who has never touched drink or drugs and whines like a little girl? What demo is he appealing to? Pre pubescent chicks?

I don't understand the last 2 paras at all.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Wrestling is regressing, not evolving.

Also I don't know how many times I have to say this, I don't watch WWE, and haven't done with any regularity since Punk became a top guy and the shows became indy-centric.

Where do you think WWE pull 900k extra buys for Wrestlemania from? Hardcore fans? Their ass? No, it's casual fans that are the lifeblood of WWE. Doesn't relate to Punk anyway as he's demoted to midcarder whenever the big shows come around. People aren't going to buy or not buy depending on whether he's on the card or not, he just isn't a polarizing character to pull people in like that.

Punks fans are all indy fans. His whole fanbase is stereotypical IWC bloggers whos favourite wrestlers are Brian Danielson and Castagnoli and think anyone over 150lbs can't work a match. The proof is in every single CM Punk thread posted on this and other forums. He has no mass appeal at all. THQ went bankrupt after putting him on the cover of the WWE game ffs. What money is to be made off a mid 30's emo dwarf who has never touched drink or drugs and whines like a little girl? What demo is he appealing to? Pre pubescent chicks?

I don't understand the last 2 paras at all.

I like punk and DB for the most part. I've only watched two ROH shows and nothing other than that. Neither of those two were on those shows. So your statement if complete BS.

You stopped watching when Punk became champ? Awesome of you to critique something you have no knowledge of.

Claiming that an entire company went bankrupt off of one wrestling video game shows just how inept your logic making ability is, which is why you don't understand the last 2 paragraphs that Legion wrote. As of Jan of this year WWE13 outsold WWE 12

Every time I see a post of yours I instantly think of this.

[video=youtube;uq-v1TTUyhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

And if you are not an internet fan then what were you doing on that site? Surely you weren't doing it as future research to back up your point in such a debate.

Reaction score
Someone who held the belt as long as he did can't really be called a "transitional champion". That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Transitional champions typically hold the belt for a month tops, maybe 2 in an unusual circumstance. 400+ days? No. If there was a transitional champion recently it was most certainly The Rock. Slapping that label on Punk is just nonsense.

Please, explain to me why CM Punk in mid-card mediocrity for almost of his reign aside from only main eventing with John Cena in the match or Cena is off the card entirely doesn't make him one big transitional champion because nothing points to him being the 'man' or an important corner stone of the WWE.

The match for CM Punk vs. "Dwayne" was set up back in June or July, so they pretty much gave CM Punk another six months being champion to make him seem important by the time he squared up with The Rock, but he certainly wasn't this big great champion smarks believe. WWE told people hyped up his reign to make him seem like a big deal, they're good at marketting and selling, almost everyone buys into it but the details are between the lines.

Mid-card title defenses, main eventing 4 Pay-Per-Views and very bad at drawing numbers, certainly don't point towards CM Punk being something WWE would consider as the man, at least when Shawn Michaels was drawing terribly, he still was main eventing :/.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Please, explain to me why CM Punk in mid-card mediocrity for almost of his reign aside from only main eventing with John Cena in the match or Cena is off the card entirely doesn't make him one big transitional champion because nothing points to him being the 'man' or an important corner stone of the WWE.

The match for CM Punk vs. "Dwayne" was set up back in June or July, so they pretty much gave CM Punk another six months being champion to make him seem important by the time he squared up with The Rock, but he certainly wasn't this big great champion smarks believe. WWE told people hyped up his reign to make him seem like a big deal, they're good at marketting and selling, almost everyone buys into it but the details are between the lines.

Mid-card title defenses, main eventing 4 Pay-Per-Views and very bad at drawing numbers, certainly don't point towards CM Punk being something WWE would consider as the man, at least when Shawn Michaels was drawing terribly, he still was main eventing :/.

But another point you should consider is that if Punk was not in most of the main events on ppvs during his reign, then is it really fair to blame him for bad buyrates or ratings. There are many factors to bad ratings, recent years have been a bad time for wrestling as a whole. No one is saying Punk has become a mega star, but it is unfair to say that he has not got over and that the guy is not a draw.

Reaction score
But another point you should consider is that if Punk was not in most of the main events on ppvs during his reign, then is it really fair to blame him for bad buyrates or ratings. There are many factors to bad ratings, recent years have been a bad time for wrestling as a whole. No one is saying Punk has become a mega star, but it is unfair to say that he has not got over and that the guy is not a draw.

The guy isn't a draw though, he can be a bad draw when you look at his individual segments, they usually show a decline in viewership but are usually propped back up by Cena/The Rock/Undertaker/insert person of relevance and ability to draw. Drawing is just as much about drawing on viewers on Raw as much as it is about getting people to buy pay-per-views, I'd imagine if he was drawing ratings with his work on Raw then he would of headlined more shows but he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.