Pulse decides the greatest tag team of the last 30 years

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I love the tag team dynamic and with the resurgence of Tag Teams in the WWE I decided to throw together this tournament now I choice the teams using the following criteria

Held Gold at least once
Held the title for at least 180 days total
Had at least one title reign of 90 days
Held Gold in an American Federation (but title reigns in NJPW & AJPW were factored into seeding)

for seeding I used stats from the following federations WWF/E, WCW, NWA, TNA, ECW, ROH, AWA, NJPW, & AJPW
I factored in the number of days titles were held, number of titles won, PWI Tag Team of the Year Awards, Strength of Federation, number of federations held titles in, & number of years they were a tag team..

My final count came to 38 so the top 6 will get first round byes those top six seeds are

#1 - The Steiner Brothers
tumblr_mbwo9bfIim1rdln4jo1_500.jpg

The Steiners had the most total days of titles held with 1132 spread between 12 different reigns & they won PWI Tag Team of the Year in 1990 & 1993
#2 - The Dudleyz
22ff2a0bce2a0fca9e664d2ce8f4d3a4.jpg

Bubba & Devon had the most titles reigns with 22 spanning 1019 days and won PWI Tag Team of the Year in 2001 & 2009

#3 - The Road Warriors
roadwarriors.jpg

LOD won the PWI Tag Team of the Year Award in 1983,1984,1985, & 1988. They had 4 title reigns lasting 768 days including their AWA title run that lasted 400 days.

#4 - Harlem Heat
tumblr_m4kcedzHMo1ql0k28o1_400.jpg

Harlem Heat had 10 title reigns spanning 470 days and won the PWI Tag Team of the Year in 1995 & 1996.

#5 - The Rock N Roll Express
rock&rollexpress17.jpg

During the golden age of tag team wrestling had 8 title reigns spanning over 653 days and were the PWI Tag Team of the Year in 1986.

#6 - Beer Money Inc
beermoney.jpg

Beer Money gets the last bye having four titles reigns of 466 days and winning two PWI Tag Team of the Year Awards in 2008 & 2011.

those are the 6 top seeds I will start posting the first round tomorrow. And everyone better participate or I'm going banhappy. :inferno:

Reaction score
Seems a bit weird to have six teams listed due to their accomplishments, but not to have Demolition. 3 time WWE tag champions (They never had a reign under 70 days unlike all six teams you listed). Their first title reign (478 days) is longer than any other individual reign that the six above teams has had. In fact, that reign is longer than EVERY tag title reign in WWE, WCW, TNA, ECW and ROH history. They may have not held the titles as many times as some of these other teams, but that's because they knew how to keep the belts. Lastly, their combined length in days as champions was 698 days. Which means they held gold longer than Beer Money, Rock 'n' Roll Express and Harlem Heat.

Dear sir, not having Demolition as one of the top 6 seeds makes this entire tournament a downright sham.

The ball's in your court.

The above comments were just made in fun and in no way should be taken as a legit insult or anything. Debating~!

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Oh snap, Jim has thrown down the gauntlet.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Oh shit's about to get real.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Oh Mr 1986 I will not take your comments to heart and I am just happy to see you partaking.

Demolition is actually the 8th seed because while they had 3 very impressive reigns totaling 698 days they never won the PWI Tag Team of the Year, so that is why two time winners Harlem Heat & Beer Money Inc are ranked above them and Rock N Roll Express was ranked higher because of their one win but also because they held Tag Titles in a few different Federations. I love Demolition sir so it's no slight on them. I just developed a formula at 3am and rolled with it to get this thing going. And a sham would be if I left Demolition off and replaced them with Crimson & Matt Morgan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Oh Mr 1986 I will not take your comments to heart and I am just happy to see you partaking.

Demolition is actually the 8th seed because while they had 3 very impressive reigns totaling 698 days they never won the PWI Tag Team of the Year, so that is why two time winners Harlem Heat & Beer Money Inc are ranked above them and Rock N Roll Express was ranked higher because of their one win but also because they held Tag Titles in a few different Federations. I love Demolition sir so it's no slight on them. I just developed a formula at 3am and rolled with it to get this thing going. And a sham would be if I left Demolition off and replaced them with Crimson & Matt Morgan.

PWI is a kayfabe magazine though. In addition, you have to look at the state of tag team wrestling in 1988-1990 (Peak of Demolition) compared to 1995-1997 (Harlem Heat's peak) and 2008-2011 (Beer Money's peak). Let's face it, tag team wrestling was a much more competitive division back in Demolition's time. But let's look at who PWI voted for as best tag team in 1988-1990:

1988 - Road Warriors (Held tag titles once for two months in '88)
1989 - The Brainbusters (Held tag titles once for 76 days in '89)
1990 - The Steiners (Held tag titles once for about four and a half months in '90)

Meanwhile, Demolition's title history in those years:

1988 - Held tag titles for a little over nine months in one reign.
1989 - Held tag titles for roughly eight and a half months in two reigns.
1990 - Held tag titles for five months in one reign.

So at least as far as titles go (Which you've admitted means a lot in deciding who should be seeded where), Demolition held the tag titles for longer periods of time than the PWI tag team of the year, every year of their prime.

Meanwhile:

2008 - John Morrison and The Miz held the WWE tag titles longer in 2008 than Beer Money held TNA Tag Titles

2011 - Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team held the ROH tag titles longer in 2011 than Beer Money held their TNA Tag Titles.

1996 - The Eliminators held the ECW tag titles longer in 1996 than Harlem Heat held the WCW tag titles.

1995 - Admittedly, Harlem Heat did hold the WCW tag titles longer in 1995 than anyone else.

So really, what does it mean to win a PWI award? This is after all, a kayfabe magazine that admits to ignoring other companies besides the big two when it comes to handing out awards.

At least as far as stats go, I think Demolition has a much great claim than Harlem Heat or Beer Money to be included in the top six.

Your move, sir.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I really have no move like I said I threw this together at 3AM agree with it or not it is how it came about. Rankings don't really mean a whole lot in these tournaments anyway I was just looking for a way to set it up.

PWI may be kayfabe but when I was growing up watching wrestling in the 80's and 90's it was the gospel.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think you should post the voting deadlines on the match threads... :)

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
does it really matter? the level of participation has been minimal...

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
does it really matter? the level of participation has been minimal...
Kinda. I'm voting on the first four now even though you've already advanced the rounds. Just didn't have the time to post until tonight.

I thought they'd be open since you asked Fuji for his votes only a few hours ago.

No worries though, once I'm done giving my useless votes I'll be voting in the round 2 polls.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Part 4 is still open and the rest are all pretty lopsided so I think they wouldn't have changed much...

and sorry I have just been bored tonight and wanted to get this going some more

Status
Not open for further replies.