PS3 Help...please God, somebody help.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

Anyway, i've had this problem for about a week or 2 and it finally occurred to me that somebody here could help me (been gone for about a week anyway)...i'm pretty sure the disc reader is screwed on my PS3 (40gb model) as it will not load any blu-ray, game or DVD. Just the loading circle stays on at the top right corner on my XMB page thingy.

So my question to peeps here is...is there ANY way I can get it to work again without sending it away to get fixed by Sony, which I would rather not do? (And i've had it for over a year so warranty = :n:)

*Rep to people who try to help, i'll take anything at this point. >.<*

EDIT: It should also be noted that it plays DL'ed music + games and can get online (obviously. >_>) and do everything perfectly not involving a disc.

noumenon

If your PS3 hasn't been serviced yet I believe the first repair is on Sony. As long as it's not damage that was obviously done by mistreating the console. I know it sucks, but give Sony a call. Don't go fucking around with it and make it worse. Then they really won't fix it...lol
And don't think your smart and try to blow in it...this shit aint Nintendo anymore :)

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Maybe like nourmenon said just call Sony see if they can help. Maybe they can tell u what to do or fix it for free. I've not had this problem so idkl

If your PS3 hasn't been serviced yet I believe the first repair is on Sony. As long as it's not damage that was obviously done by mistreating the console. I know it sucks, but give Sony a call. Don't go fucking around with it and make it worse. Then they really won't fix it...lol
And don't think your smart and try to blow in it...this shit aint Nintendo anymore :)

LMAO

Rep

Hometown Kid

Nah, I treat my stuff grade A quality. It's just the disc reader, I won't like try to take it apart or anything because then it would be way WAY worse. I'm just wondering if there's a settings error or something I can deal with or something. D:

And God help me the first day it happened I literally tried to clean the cooling part of it and blew on it after that didn't work. :laugh: Like I said, i'm desperate for anything. :(

Kizza

Get it repaired imo, sounds like what happened with my PS2. The disc reading lasers sound screwed.

Hometown Kid

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm just gonna have to send it in. =/

Would anyone happen to know how much it would cost if anything to fix/refurbish it?

noumenon

Could be the optical lense that reads the disc. Have you tried putting in all types of media....IE..CD's, DVD's, Blu Ray and Games?

Sony should most likely take care of it for you if it's indeed your first repair. I haven't had a problem with my PS3 yet so I couldn't tell you for sure. I know however Microsoft picks up the tab for the first repair on your 360...and sends you back a free gift with your console for the inconvenience.

Hometown Kid

Yeah, like I said it won't play any kind of discs, i'm already going to call tomorrow and get it set. Thanks guys. >_>

Bonus question, any chance anyone would know how to delete the personal info off of PSN accounts and whatnot so nobody could steal my info and screw me over?

Hometown Kid

Like password to the PSN account, with number, address, credit card number and whatnot. =/ If it's all logged in, whoever got ahold of it would have instant access to everything in the PSN account.

Solid Stinger the Big Boss

You Playstation 3 has got the DRE aka Disc Read Error. It was a major problem with PS2. It still exist on PS3 but the odds of it happening are slim compared to RROD and PS2's DRE. Send it in to Sony.

Kizza

Yeah, if it doesn't play any discs, the optical disc reading laser thingy's a re screwed. It would have cost $100 AUD where I am to fix it on my PS2.

noumenon

Yup...the older PS3's were more likely to pick up the problem. Like I've said...Sony will fix it.

Anyway. You can delete your account off your PS3 if you want to. Once you reactivate it it'll recognize you and pick your account right back up.

Hometown Kid

Yeah, i'm confident that it was the DRE. aka UGH. >_> but meh, I guess i'll ship it out when they send me the box to ship it in, just looking for some way to delete the password and whatnot now.

EDIT: Okay it sounds like a plan to me, thanks everybody. :heart: