Paul Orndorff Rips The Current Product And Talks Hulk Hogan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
http://www.pro-wrestling.com/news.php?a=1&n=NTQ5ODQ=

Credit: VOCNation.com

Paul Orndorff recently spoke about working with Hulk Hogan and more. Here are the highlights…

On Not Beating Hogan for the WWF World Title: "That's what they should have done. And instead of making hundreds of millions of dollars they could have made thousands of millions of dollars if they had done that. We talked about it some and that's what they should have done ... I guess for some reason because [Hulk] was 6'5" and weighed 320 pounds that he was this big huge thing that nobody should beat him for the belt. If they would have said "Let's go out there, Paul, and you fight for your life and Terry, you go out there and you fight for your life," you can bet your ass I would have fought. I guarantee ... I would have won and [Hulk] knows it."

On Today's Product: "It's been so downgraded. You look at boxing, you look at MMA fighting, that's what people are watching. It's more believable. That's what people want to see. They don't want to see that phoney baloney out there. They want to see something real. They want to see somebody lose a tooth, have a black eye."

On Working with Hulk Hogan: "It worked out because the heel ran the show. I ran the matches, and I worked off of [Hulk Hogan]. [Hogan did] his best to work off of me because [he'd] never be able to keep up with me. I did that with Hogan. That's why we worked together good. We [were] two Florida boys. I wasn't buddy-buddy with him. I didn't weigh 300 pounds but I weighed 240 pounds and I was a badass and he wasn't."

On the Art of Being a Great Wrestler: "I still call it a sport, because it is a sport. To me it takes years and years and years and you'll never master it. As long as you have an opponent, you have to work around that opponent. And you'll never master it. Never. You can be good at it, you can be great at it like I was. Or you can be good at it and okay with it. Whatever."

Orndorff still has that old-school mentality and attitude after all these years lol. I really wonder if there would have been more money in Orndorff winning the strap from Hogan for a short time before losing back to him. His feud with Hogan was hot (it actually set the all-time attendance record for a wrestling show in North American until Wrestlemania 3 happened seven months later) and would have warranted Orndorff becoming champion, but then Piper would disagree and feel he should have won the championship from Hogan instead. There was no stopping the Hulkamania gravy train at the time, though.

F.R.I.E

Save_Us Frie.2.J
Reaction score
Only problem I have with the current product is the amount of times Hogan can speak about slamming giants. We get it............

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
So basically go through even more pain just to entertain the fans as well as risk injury even more. Hey Orndorff, why don't you get in the ring and protect your words.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Orndorf is a fat fuck who doesn't deserve the oil he showered in

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
You could say that the idea behind the product today is that they did exactly what Orndorff thinks they should have done back in the 1980's with him and Hogan. Often, the pattern is:

1) Have a face champion
2) Have a heel challenge the face champion
3) Have the heel win the title
4) Have the face (former champion) feud with the heel champion leading up to a rematch
5) Have the face win the title back
6) Split them off into other feuds
7) Repeat

There is something to what Orndorff says (about the way things should be booked; some of his other ideas are just stupid). WWE (and all the other companies) have learned that there's more crowd engagement in the feud (not to mention more money) when the face chases the belt than when the face carries the belt (cuts eyes over to the Yes! Movement).

This is also why Bruno Sammartino was a 1-time WWF Champion and Hulk Hogan was a 5-time WWF Champion (during his "main" stint in the WWF as the top babyface in the company; he held it a 6th time for a month in 2002) while John Cena has held the title 11 times, Randy Orton and HHH 8 times, and SCSA held it 6 times. The belt changes hands more often because they've adopted that formula and use it to make a ton of money.

wk