Overeem-Mir bout added to UFC's 167

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Another major fight has been added to UFC 167 as Alistair Overeem will fight Las Vegan Frank Mir at the MGM Grand on Nov. 16.
Both fighters will enter the bout on losing streaks as Overeem has been knocked out twice in a row and Mir has suffered three straight defeats.

The heavyweight contest joins a welterweight title bout between Johny Hendricks and Georges St. Pierre and a recently announced light heavyweight matchup between Chael Sonnen and Rashad Evans on a stacked card as part of the 20th anniversary celebration of UFC 1.
loser gets cut I reckon

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Overeem wins, Mir retires, we all go home happy.

Hope Mir gets an analyst spot on Fox though.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Mannnnn this card is just becoming more and more epic. can't miss card. DANG!

But the question here is... which chin will stand the longest?

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
DAMN IT! As much as I love both fighters, this is a horrible matchup for Mir. Props to him for always taking tough fights and not taking a fight just to pad the record like in Schaub or Mitirone. Already picturing Overeem pounding on him against the cage, maybe he'll finally pull guard for once. That's his best hope.

I'm super excited for the fight, but you know Overeem is going to get the fight into the cage and just pound on him from there. R.I.P Mir's career.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I think Mir can manage to take it to the ground. The only question is will Overeem be willing to go to the ground with Mir... or will he do like his fight with Werdum and just stand there and wait for the ref to make Mir get up everytime.

Mir is gonna bring it. I'm kinda hoping for a Mir win. Strangely.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I think Mir can manage to take it to the ground. The only question is will Overeem be willing to go to the ground with Mir... or will he do like his fight with Werdum and just stand there and wait for the ref to make Mir get up everytime.

He always brings it, you saw when he was going punch for punch with Barnett in the clinch right when the fight began. Hopefully Mir goes back to being 260 because he'll need it. Can't be coming in at 248 like last time.

I don't want him to retire yet. I'm a mark for heavyweights that go for submissions. Don't want either guy to get cut, which is why I'm so torn on this fight. Doubt Overeem would want to go the ground though. He knows it's must win for his career as well.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

He's a stupid fighter, he tried to stand with Carwin and Dos Santos.

Can't even remember the last time he initiated a ground game. He has poor wrestling, doesn't take guys down and has hideous stand up. People say this stuff all the time but Mir is not that guy anymore, just like Rampage wasn't the "one shot KO" guy UFC billed him as for years after his prime.

Of course he's not a no hoper while Reem's chin is so crap, but I give him 0.1% chance of surviving the first round blitz.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
He's a stupid fighter, he tried to stand with Carwin and Dos Santos.

Can't even remember the last time he initiated a ground game. He has poor wrestling, doesn't take guys down and has hideous stand up. People say this stuff all the time but Mir is not that guy anymore, just like Rampage wasn't the "one shot KO" guy UFC billed him as for years after his prime.

Of course he's not a no hoper while Reem's chin is so crap, but I give him 0.1% chance of surviving the first round blitz.

Yeah I watched those two fights and I'm sittin there like... why are you trying to stand with those guys? Why would you try to stand with Carwin? If his fist touches you it'll break your face.

He's not the guy he used to be but I'm still holding hope that he can bust out a sub. Hasn't really done much on the ground since the Big Nog fight. Well hasn't won since then either. His stand up is much better than what it used to be but it isn't anything compared to what Reem can bring.

But I do wonder if Reem is gonna come in all small like he did for the Browne fight or if he'll get that size again. And how long will he be able to initiate the Uberblitz before he starts gassing cause Mir can fight for a couple rounds. If he can survive round 1... he may have a chance.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
He'll try and stand with Overeem and the early blitz will wreck him, I dont see Mir having the ability to survive that or fire off a crane kick afterwards.

How the hell does Mir ever get people to the ground anyway, he loves to stand and bang but his striking is so miserable for a guy who's been hitting the pads for 10+ years its ridiculous and his wrestling is non existent.

That said if he does somehow survive the UberBlitz then there's a 99% chance he can pull off a sub or an ugly KO on a gassed Overeem. Honestly I think Reem would be best served dropping some weight so he can work on his cardio. He's basically back where he was a LHW; a terror early on but then he gasses and is easy picking. That 240 range he had early on in Strikeforce was ideal; muscular, strong but still quick and had better cardio. Though his Uberframe did help him with ragdolling Rogers ans stomping his way out of a Brock TD, etc.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This fight will be Mir/Cro Cop with more hugs. Mark my words, this fight will suck and hopefully Dana cuts them both after it.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
This fight will be Mir/Cro Cop with more hugs. Mark my words, this fight will suck and hopefully Dana cuts them both after it.

oh man if it is as terrible as that... we all falling asleep... and then somehow someone does one move in the third round causing a KO. mannnnn that fight sucked so bad even Rogan/Goldberg was begging someone to do something during the fight.