Oscars 2018 Predictions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The Shape of Water Won...
~ Best Picture...
~ Best Director...
~ Best Production Design...
~ Best Original Score...

Blade Runner 2049 Won...
~ Best Cinematography...
~ Best Visual Effects...

Sweet!

A movie I adore won like 4 Oscars...

Oh...& for the record I've been a Del Toro
fan since Mimic...so I'm not jumping on the
bandwagon.

Although I honestly believe "Get Out" was the better movie, after that I would have picked "Call Me By Your Name" and then "The Shape of Water." I guess my problem with it is that it was sort of just another woman falls in love with a beast story... which we've seen over and over and over again.... and for some odd reason, I coudn't stop thinking about "Splash" the entire time. Del Toro's direction really made the movie and I think the same movie under anyone else's hands would have failed. "Get Out" was so much more original in my view but I'm not unhappy. "The Shape of Water" was a beautiful film. I wouldn't say it's Del Toro's best movie, but then "The Departed" was not Scorcese's best movie but he won an Oscar for it.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I guess my problem with it is that it was sort of just another woman falls in love with a beast story... which we've seen over and over and over again...
Very true...BUT...I believe this version of that trope was
handled extremely well with excellent acting across the
board & with a true respect for the "source material"
because lets be honest...The Shape of Water is essentially
a "remake" of the Creature from the Black Lagoon only with
the woman actually being "into" the Creature instead of
screaming like a banshee for half the film.

And I'm a huge "mark" for the Universal Monsters...so
for me...this film was the Creature from the Black Lagoon
remake they haven't made yet...and hopefully won't now
after Del Toro crafted this masterpiece.

I know some people thought the film was connected
to the "Hellboy cinematic universe" but "The Asset" is
much more of a beast when compared to "Abe Sapien"

Also if anyone out there reading this hasn't seen:
The Monster Squad - Wikipedia
Go watch it...its so much stupid fun & has an amazing
version of the Gillman in it.

and for some odd reason, I coudn't stop thinking about "Splash" the entire time.
Oh No...God No...Eww...I feel sorry for you Jakey-Jake.

Although I honestly believe "Get Out" was the better movie
I mean I thought Get Out was good...but nothing really that
special...I'm surprised its even being nominated to be honest.

I wouldn't say it's Del Toro's best movie
Pan's Labyrinth is his best movie...(IMO)
but...
Pacific Rim is my favorite.

Because well...

ImmenseDisguisedHalicore-size_restricted.gif

And now I need to go watch Pacific Rim before
the sequel most likely ruins the franchise...which
it shouldn't have been in the first place.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Oh No...God No...Eww...I feel sorry for you Jakey-Jake.

Well for some reason throughout the whole movie, I just KNEW she would be able to leave with the Asset and be able to breathe underwater with it... just like Splash. And I was right.

I mean I thought Get Out was good...but nothing really that
special...I'm surprised its even being nominated to be honest.

I was surprised it was nominated too. Rarely does the Academy recognize a brave, original debut film as innovative and genre redefining as "Get Out." But I seriously have to disagree. If there was one thing "Get Out" was, it was special. It was the only movie of all those nominated that I hadn't figured out the ending too rather quickly and that means a lot to me.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Well for some reason throughout the whole movie, I just KNEW she would be able to leave with the Asset and be able to breathe underwater with it... just like Splash. And I was right.
Well I have to admit I barely remember Splash...in fact I
hadn't thought about that film till I read your post.

I was surprised it was nominated too. Rarely does the Academy recognize a brave, original debut film as innovative and genre redefining as "Get Out." But I seriously have to disagree. If there was one thing "Get Out" was, it was special. It was the only movie of all those nominated that I hadn't figured out the ending too rather quickly and that means a lot to me.
Innovative & Genre Redefining? Are we talking about the same film?
Its the one where old white people want to be young black people right?

The one with a story that could have come straight out of the X-Files.

Okay...well...maybe I just didn't get it...even though there wasn't really
much to Get...Out.

:pun:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well I have to admit I barely remember Splash...in fact I
hadn't thought about that film till I read your post.

Innovative & Genre Redefining? Are we talking about the same film?
Its the one where old white people want to be young black people right?

The one with a story that could have come straight out of the X-Files.

Okay...well...maybe I just didn't get it...even though there wasn't really
much to Get...Out.

:pun:

It was a horror film and yeah, it did a lot to redefine the horror genre. So being a horror film, it's a compliment that it could have come out of the X-Files.

Innovative? Absolutely. First in the fact that it wasn't predictable... and anyone who says otherwise is full of it because no one went into that movie thinking "Oh, old people are transferring their brains into the bodies of black people and the son and daughter in the family have been using different methods to abduct them."

The movie was unsettling, coming across for the largest portion of it that the family was brainwashing black people. It fooled the audience for the longest time, making them believe the people in the movie were racist and were trying to make black people compliant... and then it turned out that wasn't the case at all. We even had a thread on here about the movie being racist because we were led to believe that it was. Jordan Peele used tensions about racial issues to put his audience on edge and keep them from really seeing where the movie was going. That's innovative in the horror genre and definitely genre redefining.

There's the difference in Peele's and Del Toro's approaches in their respective movies. The reason Del Toro deserved his directing Oscar was that he took a story that has been told over and over again and made it interesting. He showed that it was still beautiful. As is usual for him, he made a film that was beautiful to watch even though I personally feel it lacked depth or originality. He DEFINITELY deserved an Oscar for that. Peele, on the other hand, made his audience believe he was going in one direction for a large portion of the movie, using tensions about racism to present something completely different. He made his audiences THINK he was telling the same racism story again and then presented something completely different. Del Toro DEFINITELY deserved the Best Director Oscar. But "Get Out" was the better story and the academy agreed when they award it Best Screenplay over both "Shape" and "Three Billboards."

The reason I think it's better than "The Shape of Water" is because I walked into the "Shape of Water" and knew the ending of the movie pretty much right away. In fact, that's why I rated it higher than "Call Me By Your Name" also. Probably the best thing a movie can do, IMO, is keep me from knowing what is going to happen. "Get Out" did that better than any movie at all last year.

But, that's just my opinion. That's the problem with award shows, they're all subjective.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
It was a horror film and yeah, it did a lot to redefine the horror genre. So being a horror film, it's a compliment that it could have come out of the X-Files.

Innovative? Absolutely. First in the fact that it wasn't predictable... and anyone who says otherwise is full of it because no one went into that movie thinking "Oh, old people are transferring their brains into the bodies of black people and the son and daughter in the family have been using different methods to abduct them."

The movie was unsettling, coming across for the largest portion of it that the family was brainwashing black people. It fooled the audience for the longest time, making them believe the people in the movie were racist and were trying to make black people compliant... and then it turned out that wasn't the case at all. We even had a thread on here about the movie being racist because we were led to believe that it was. Jordan Peele used tensions about racial issues to put his audience on edge and keep them from really seeing where the movie was going. That's innovative in the horror genre and definitely genre redefining.

There's the difference in Peele's and Del Toro's approaches in their respective movies. The reason Del Toro deserved his directing Oscar was that he took a story that has been told over and over again and made it interesting. He showed that it was still beautiful. As is usual for him, he made a film that was beautiful to watch even though I personally feel it lacked depth or originality. He DEFINITELY deserved an Oscar for that. Peele, on the other hand, made his audience believe he was going in one direction for a large portion of the movie, using tensions about racism to present something completely different. He made his audiences THINK he was telling the same racism story again and then presented something completely different. Del Toro DEFINITELY deserved the Best Director Oscar. But "Get Out" was the better story and the academy agreed when they award it Best Screenplay over both "Shape" and "Three Billboards."
Okay...I...well you definitely saw more & got more out of Get Out than I did...
I actually thought it was kind of corny in places...but what do I know?

I actually like Hudson Hawk so I have no real credibility.

But, that's just my opinion. That's the problem with award shows, they're all subjective.
Yeah pretty much...but at least some films I liked actually won some awards...
whatever they stand for I guess.

I'm not really one for awards...mainly because I've personally never won any.

Reactions: Jacob Fox