Online Fan Base

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
enhanced-buzz-8587-1387431706-0.jpg

I am getting the impression that casual fans tend to enjoy WWE more than actual die-hard fans anymore. Maybe this was what they were aiming for? The way the booking is being done doesn't do anything for long term feuds and tends to stale many of the men and women on the roster. I really couldn't say what was going on right now because I have basically lost all interest in WWE. I think many people out there are in the same boat as me.

I find it hard to justify giving WWE 5+ hours of my life every week (not including PPVs) when most shows are either average or just honestly suck. To a casual viewer, they can watch here and there and still be entertained but people who watch week in and week out just continue to be disappointed.

I tend to think people on forums like this who talk about wrestling and the WWE are more than casual fans and that can be why, as of late, the forum has been so quiet. I can hardly blame people for this as I, myself, really don't care anymore about the WWE. I have noticed a downward trend here as well as other places online where less and less people even want to talk about things. Most of what I see being discussed is complaints about the product or general booking and maybe people are just sick of saying the same thing over and over again and not being heard.

Not too long ago, I was watching every week. Then I started watching here and there. Then only PPVs. Then only a few PPVs. And now I am down to just watching 2 times a year and even then, it feels like a chore. I can't even bother to read results these days because my interest is basically null. I am sure there are plenty of people who still enjoy what they are doing. If that wasn't the case, they would be losing a lot of money. The stock has gone up though so it seems they have plenty of fans yet I can't wrap my head around the online fan base slowly dying.

What do you guys think is going on here? Why is the online fan base getting smaller and smaller as the months go on yet they still manage to have a solid flow of income and fans off the internet?

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think those online fans are finding alternatives. 205/NXT (I know they are WWE but they are presented differently to RAW/Smackdown) and obviously NJPW - maybe Jericho took a bunch of fans with him?

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I agree it’s just catering to the casual fans. Hardcore fans are too hard to please, more work, and often never happy. It’s true. It’s not to say that WWE can’t find a happy medium, but why would they? The casual fan keeps paying more and more as WWE rehashes the same stories in a lousier way each year with different stars. Every now and then we have some bright spots, but it’s few and far between.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I am getting the impression that casual fans tend to enjoy WWE more than actual die-hard fans anymore. Maybe this was what they were aiming for?
Yes, this is what they are aiming for. I have been saying this for about three or so months now because it is obvious with them pushing who they are pushing, the stories, and a bunch of other stuff that I have bitched, complained, and ranted about.

I tend to think people on forums like this who talk about wrestling and the WWE are more than casual fans and that can be why, as of late, the forum has been so quiet. I can hardly blame people for this as I, myself, really don't care anymore about the WWE. I have noticed a downward trend here as well as other places online where less and less people even want to talk about things. Most of what I see being discussed is complaints about the product or general booking and maybe people are just sick of saying the same thing over and over again and not being heard.

I mean you kind of get a mixture of casual and die-hard fans to be honest. I just think the forum has been quiet because there isn't much to talk about to some extent and some are getting burnt out on WWE for that is all they watch, but some are watching Indies, Japan, England, Canada, and Mexico, like myself, Jacob, and some others, just see WWE as a side show, you know. People want to talk less and less about it because either two people get into a argument which turns to fighting, there is nothing much more to say, or something other reason. Of course there are people like me, and formerly Grievous, who rant and complain and bitch and others just look away from it or just be like "What a mark" or whatever.

What do you guys think is going on here? Why is the online fan base getting smaller and smaller as the months go on yet they still manage to have a solid flow of income and fans off the internet?
Die-Hard fans are leaving WWE for NJPW, ROH, PWG, WWR, and such more because they are doing wrestling and not entertainment and die-hard fans want wrestling that is entertaining not entertainment that is wrestling. Casual fans will watch anything and accept anything like Alexa being the champion or Carmella beating Asuka or whatever. I could go on and on and bitch and complain and rant, but what would be the use.

Reactions: Solid Snake

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Also, I do think it actually has gotten better in some ways as of late. There’s more indie stars and tournament shows and things going on than ever before in WWE history. It’s in a lot of ways a golden era right now. There’s a lot of shit they’re still doing bad, but there’s also a lot of good Shit.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Casual fans only watch when the product is good.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah since renewing my interest in wwe in 2015 after straying away for a decade, I initially was all in. Watched every raw. Not so much smackdown then (pre brand split)and every PPV. Then the brand split happened in 16(?) So I was into both shows and both brand ppv. And the odd nxt peppered in there. Then it got way to much as I had a new child so I cut down to just SDL and the SD PPV (after survivor series of course. Had to keep up with both as I attended lol) oh yeah that was the whole ko/y2j act then too on raw. The only good part so I recorded and watched their segments too.

And really in the past year it's been cut down to royal rumble and mania. The odd episode (usually not even full shows) and I'll catch the odd ppv. But hardly any.

I honestly want to like it so much more than I do again. It's just hard to commit so much time to a show I can barely stomach when I have my family. I'd even rather watch the wiggles or something with my daughter over wwe right now lol.

Idk I just think they get stale. Storylines are not compelling whatsoever. Every match is so long and drawn out. Sure it looks good if you're into that aspect of it....but seeing it every match every week gets to be a lot. They should be saved for ppv or something. Its not special when you see it over and over again. And the way matches flow are so hard. Guy 1 is gassed out and cant possibly go any further. Until he musters up all his strength to explode on a signature move and then he looks like he just got a boost of energy and took it from the other guy until omg he kicks out of a pin and suddenly now HE has all the energy and the other guy looks to be done. Finisher after finisher. They get totally gassed 4 or 5 times in a match and always bounce back as if they weren't burnt out already... idk I could go on and on but I'll leave it there for now.

That's just my take on it lol

Redboy123@

Reaction score
By design a casual fan is someone who has interest in WWE, but watches sporadically. Casual fans watch around Mania.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
It unfortunately makes sense for them to cater and write for casual fans. I mean, the majority of people who watch professional wrestling aren't in it for life. In fact, I assume that the majority of people who watch wrestling likely watch for less than two years.

You have people life me, who have watched it nearly their whole life and will more than likely continue to watch it their whole life. WWE doesn't have to try and please me in any way because they know that's what I am going to do. They know the ones who like wrestling for life, will always be there in some capacity even if they leave for a little while and come back.

So make the people who are only going to be around for a little while happy because there the ones you're really getting money from .

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
It unfortunately makes sense for them to cater and write for casual fans. I mean, the majority of people who watch professional wrestling aren't in it for life. In fact, I assume that the majority of people who watch wrestling likely watch for less than two years.

You have people life me, who have watched it nearly their whole life and will more than likely continue to watch it their whole life. WWE doesn't have to try and please me in any way because they know that's what I am going to do. They know the ones who like wrestling for life, will always be there in some capacity even if they leave for a little while and come back.

So make the people who are only going to be around for a little while happy because there the ones you're really getting money from .
Bro we think too much alike. It’s hot!

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You know I also think for a lot of us, we can see more fault in the WWE product too because we watch other shows. When other shows, all of which have less resources and less money than WWE can consistently put on good, entertaining shows, week after week, it boggles out minds that WWE can't do it too. But this goes back to the online thing, because I believe most fans of other promotions originally find how to watch them on the internet. We know what we're missing.

But those promotions likely know that WWE focuses on casual fans so they try to bring in the people like me, that they know will be long term fans. It was what the NWA did in the 1980s. Stick with us because we're going to give you what WWF isn't giving you.

Reactions: edge4ever

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
You know I also think for a lot of us, we can see more fault in the WWE product too because we watch other shows. When other shows, all of which have less resources and less money than WWE can consistently put on good, entertaining shows, week after week, it boggles out minds that WWE can't do it too. But this goes back to the online thing, because I believe most fans of other promotions originally find how to watch them on the internet. We know what we're missing.

But those promotions likely know that WWE focuses on casual fans so they try to bring in the people like me, that they know will be long term fans. It was what the NWA did in the 1980s. Stick with us because we're going to give you what WWF isn't giving you.
I don’t know what you’re saying now, but I like it and you, and I want you.