*Official NHL 09 Thread*

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Michael1

Reaction score
I got my copy and I must say, it's pretty freaking awesome. Be a Pro is awesome, and you have to play just about every game if you wanna get up in the NHL. I simulated 10 games and I ended up being placed on waivers and went to Washington from Montreal. So yeah, pretty awesome.

Dynasty is still good in the series. I like it. I've been using Montreal Canadiens in it and my current record is 10 - 9 - 4, so, it's not the easiest, and I have played all those games with the exception of 2 - 4. Real close, great games.

The gameplay experience, even more amazing. The demo was great, and I kept saying to myself that I can't wait for NHL 09 the full game, and WOW. It was great. Everything is so realist from the shots, to the hits, to the faceoffs, the score, everything. In NHL 08, I remember I kept getting 8 - 9 goals a game with 67 shots in 10 minute periods, in this game, I won a game 2 - 0 with the shots being 22 - 43, in favor of the other team.

All in all, a great game. I love it. I'll definitely be spending a lot of my gaming time playing this. I'm not even out of the second line in the minors in Be A Pro yet! (You get to choose your own team and you start on the 3rd line in the minors.)

MikeRaw

This is a very great game. And ya Michael, I notived the thing about not simming the games as well. If you do, the coach will tell you to put in more effort. So yeah, I gave be a pro a shot and was very imppressed. I am playing dynasty currently though, and it's good as usual.
The gameplay is good again, but what caught my attention most, was now ALMOST EVERY PLAYER LOOKS LIKE THEMSELVES. Before, it was the featured guys, but now, everyone except the no name gusy who never play and a few fourth line guys look like themselves.
Great game.

BTW, Michael, did you know you can play as the Montreal Canadiens legends?

Michael1

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew I could. I haven't yet. I've been busy with my Be a Pro and Dynasty.

My goalies screwed me over with the Ottawa Senators though. I made like five to seven trades to get the right goalies, I ended the season with Martin Biron and Martin Gerber, and I was four points out.

NooDLE

Reaction score
I need to pick this up soon. I'm living in Hamilton now... so I'll pay This Guy's store a visit :shifty:

chessarmy

This is the most addicting game I've ever played. I never bought something this good for the Xbox 360, it really is amazing. I joined an EASHL team called "Victorious Secret" and we are doing great. We are division 1 right now, and ranked like 40'th in the world. I had a few bad games in net, but after I changed my goalie to "Hybrid" so that he is Brodeur like, I finally redeemed myself and got a shut out and a one goal game.

This game pwns. I'm going to go play some more now

MikeRaw

^Ya, the game is addicting.
I haven't played in the EASHL yet, but whatever. Be a Pro mode is awesome. My guy has 9 goals and 7 assists (16 points) in 18 games so far. I made it from the 4th line of the AHL to the first line of the AHL and hopefully I'll be called up to the NHL soon.
And in regular games (playing as the wholw team), I'm like 2-3 online on XBOX LIVE, and something like 6-5 playing by myself.
Great game.

chessarmy

Here is the review that I posted on Gamespot.com:

EA Sports recently came out of their slump with 3 great hockey games. First came NHL 07, where they introduced the revolutionary skill stick that got people talking. Then NHL 08, winner of numerous sports of the year awards, and yet another great addition to the EA's NHL franchise. Finally, the floodgates were opened and NHL 09 was released to the world. After 2 years of solid hockey games, NHL 09 has managed to top them all and give it's fans the best hockey game of the decade.

The Good:

The good? Well, thats an understatement. NHL 09 completely revolutionized hockey games with the addition of new game modes, and new online features. We'll start things off with the offline game modes. The new addition this year is the all new "Be a pro mode". I'm sure many of you know what this is already, so I won't explain it for the next 8 paragrahs. Instead, I'll tell you why this is a great feature in NHL 09. First, you start out by making your player. This is the first thing that happens when you put the NHL 09 CD in your 360. Then, you go to be a pro mode and pick your team. Once you're done with that, you go to the Be a pro mode main menu where the Coach and the GM tell you what the expect of you. Remember, you can be any position, whether its Goalie (I chose that), Center, Right Wing, or a Defenceman. After a few games, you will gain experience points which you can use to help upgrade your characters stats. After a few weeks (or years) you will finally get called up to the NHL. You gain hockey cards along the way as you climb up the ladder to legendary status.

Also, NHL 09 provides a Dynasty mode, you guys obviously know what this is. This year the mode is pretty much exactly the same as previous years, but its still fun. You can play up to 25 seasons, but the question is...will you win the Stanley Cup? Ok, lame promo...whatever. The tournament mode is also available if you want to play some classic world cup hockey. Its a solid mode that will keep you busy for some time

The all new custom tracks option is icing on an already very tasty cake, its a useful feature that you can utilize if you get sick of the same old songs over and over again. Also, the player models are superb in this game. Martin Brodeur looks like Marty, and pretty much all the players look like their real life counter parts.

As far as online is concerned, well, only one word can describe it....AMAZING. From the OTP games, to ranked matches, to shootouts, and the grandaddy of them all, the EASHL. NHL 09 online gives you many online features for you to enjoy, it truely is a hockey fan's dream. I am on an EASHL team right now we're called the "Victorious Secrets", and we are division 1 ranked 35th in the world. I play in net, and well...I pretty much stop everything :) On a serious note, the EASHL is awesome, I love seeing my player skate out on the ice and I get a good feeling like that really is me out there. Unfortunately, I will never be able to play hockey in real life, but at least with the EASHL I can get a taste of how it feels to play my favorite sport in the world.

Goalie Mode is improved this year, I enjoy it even more than last year's offering and it is even more fun than NHL 08.

The Bad:

While the player models in NHL 09 are superb, the overall graphics are nothing to jump up and down about. When you sit on the bench in be a pro mode the graphics just look horrible. Everything looks very choppy, and the animations look weird. When you're actually playing it looks better obviously, but not by much. The ice looks very plain, and the crowd/lights/arena looks plain as well. I feel like they didn't put much effort in to try and make the game look better than last year. Sure, the player models are much better, but thats about it. Its 2008, the game is on the PS3 and the Xbox 360, we all know they can pull out better graphics than this.

The create a team and create a player leaves something to be desired. There aren't many options for both modes, and it just makes me feel like they could have added more.

The actual gameplay doesn't have many problems. There are a few glitches and bugs here and there, but thats it.

Overall: NHL 09 is the best hockey game of the decade. It offers an awesome online mode, an all new be a pro mode, and it will keep you busy for hours on end. It is addicting, and it is a game that every hockey fan should pick up.

Rating: 9.0

This Guy

yeah heres a sad fact. Every year at our managers conference EA gives us a copy of NHL for free. Every year I come home put it on my shelf with my other games and it just sits there, because I don't really care. (well I did eventually crack open 07) I'm not huge on Hockey or playing it video game wise, but I keep hearing how great 09 is and I'm actually getting impatiant now for my copy. This could be the first time I get home from a conference and actually play my NHL right aways. :) 2 more weeks :)

JayScorpion

Reaction score
im excited bout the game just annoyed that i have to wait until the end of oct for the ps2 version

MikeRaw

im excited bout the game just annoyed that i have to wait until the end of oct for the ps2 version

Ya, I saw that. Luckily, I got a 360 a month or two ago, because I would die if I couldn't play 09 until close to November.