Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
No they're not, they're very good at retaining possession but everytime they get caught on the break or are under pressure; their defense collapses; so far they have lost to both Liverpool and City who have the best attacks in the league.

They're like Barcalona, their defending is retaining the ball possession; the only difference is, Barcalona bore their opponents into conceding, Arsenal actually go out and attack lol.

If you base everything on your logic then nobody would be good at defending. Also if you look at many of the recent home games against the likes of Palace and Cardiff and away to West Ham they have scrapped those wins out, but kept clean sheets in the process, which says to me they have put more focused on being tight at the back and being petient when it comes to attacking. Are you seriously telling me than the two centre half's have not had great seasons? If so I don't know what Arsenal you have been watching.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Arsenal I get to see on TV everytime they are on.

I haven't seen anything which screams to me The Arsenal defense can cope with good attacks, look at the teams you mentioned; not a highly ranked striker than among them. Hasn't negated the fact Arsenal have got "wrecked" by two of the top four teams, (forgotten The Chelsea score).

You're saying Suarez, Negrado, Sturridge and Aguero are the same amount of a threat as Cambell, Jerome and ugh, Cole?

Btw, my logic holds up; see Fulham against UTD (sniggers); Bayern Munich vs Barcalona (both legs) etc etc, teams can cope with pressure, they just actually have to tactical adapt or have quality defenders; Arsenal seemingly lack both.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
They let 1 in against Utd away, 0 against Liverpool at home, 0 against Chelsea at home. Up until the weekend they had the second best defensive record and were only 1 goal conceded behind Chelsea.

I don't think 2 freak results should negate how good defensively they have been this season. It's just like the people who are writing Arsenal out of the title challenge again after getting hammered at Liverpool, you know despite them being 1 point behind still and have some crucial games coming up.

Reactions: Keith

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
All this will be forgot about once we murder Man Utd on Wednesday.

3-1, RVP to score their only goal IMO. Ozil needs to pull his finger out his arse and actually look interested though.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
He hasn't looked the same since Man City; I guess he's not used to tougher competitive league.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
What Dale said really. I don't think they will win the title anyhow, but that doesn't mean they haven't had a good season, and can't improve on it next time around. The important thing is that they don't start going backwards again.

Aniking

Reaction score
In the two Away games against Liverpool and Man City, we've conceded 11 goals. In the other 23 games, we've conceded 15 goals.

Two disgraceful defensive showings mean our defense is terrible? Clearly the other 23 games mean nothing.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
test
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
i never understood Arsenal, they defend well for game after game and then just fall apart

mertasacker was abused against Liverpool! but i can't say much I'm a united fan :(

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Mertesacker is slower than evolution, I worry about him anytime we face a team with pacy strikers.

Still think we'll beat Bayern though. Robben is past it, Ribery is out and Gotze don't show up in big games.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Mertesacker is slower than evolution, I worry about him anytime we face a team with pacy strikers.

Still think we'll beat Bayern though. Robben is past it, Ribery is out and Gotze don't show up in big games.

Yes but that is why you have one pacy center half and one who is good in the air. Mertesacker is also very good on the ball.

Big chance for Arsenal tomorrow night now, with Chelsea dropping points tonight.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Interesting weekend in the FA Cup. Sunderland currently beating 8th placed Southampton who actually might like a cup run more. Sunderland's cup success could cost them their top flight status.

Man City/Chelsea and Arsenal/Liverpool really gives hope to the likes of Everton and Wigan of at least making the semi's. My local side Brighton also have a decent shot of an upset against Hull on Monday.

Reactions: Clydefrog

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
City were the rightful winners in tonight's game, Chelsea were clearly second best. Think it makes things a bit interesting as Chelsea do have the edge in the league overall.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
What gives them edge?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
What gives them edge?

The one nil win a few weeks back was a turning point, it came at a time when City were looking like a side who could go on and walk the league, since then City have not been the same and Chelsea have gone from strength to strength. Its still very tight, but I make Chelsea slight favourites now.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Opinions I guess, but i'm not having the strength to strength to comment.