Official Football Discussion Thread 2012/13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
And cue all the "Arsenal won't make Top 4" comments all over Facebook, etc. :fp:

As an Arsenal fan, I'm obviously disappointed in losing Van Persie. I was really hoping he'd sign a new contract, especially considering his family is reportedly very settled in London, but he's very frustrated with winning no trophies and obviously doesn't believe we can win one next season or doesn't wanna take the risk. It's understandable and I hope he finds success wherever he goes next... as long as it isn't Man City. I don't mind if he goes to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, PSG, doesn't bother me because it could possibly only affect Arsenal with one trophy (Champions League) and not the Premier League, FA Cup or Carling Cup.

Anyway, obviously we now have Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud, but I really think we need to add another striker now. Those two and Van Persie were going to be our main strikers, but now it'll be those two... and Chamakh or Park seeing how we're selling Bendtner and Vela and are about to send young Joel Campbell out on loan. We could always live with what we have and push Walcott forward if we needed to, but then we'd need another Winger as we'd only have Gervinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain left seeing how we're selling Arshavin and Miyaichi may go out on loan for the season.

For me, that's the tough decision Wenger needs to make. As for the Captaincy, that's a pretty simple one - Thomas Vermaelen.

Varmaelen would be my choice as captain too. After Van Persie he is your most important player and the defence tends to look more secure when he plays. Don't forget you haven't lost RVP yet you can still hold onto him for another season and who knows if things improve he might still stay. I believe Arsenal are on their way to becoming a very good side again, the new signings so far seem to be good ones, you have a ever improving keeper and hopefully the youngsters will just get better.

Aniking

Reaction score
Arteta for captain for me.

His name did cross my mind, but seeing how Vermaelen is the Vice-Captain and has proven to be a great leader, I had to go for him first. I'm not sure who would be my next choice, but it'd probably be either Arteta or Rosicky. Nobody else really springs to mind.

RVP & Lavezzi playing for PSG :mark:

That'd be pretty sick, but I can't see Van Persie moving there. Most consider the French league to be below (in no order) England, Spain, Italy and Germany, but I guess you never know what money can do.

Lost bigger and better players than Van Persie before so the news doesn't really bother me.

Cash in now and get a decent midfield.

Very true, it doesn't bother me alot either. Just a bit disappointed, but overall not surprised.

Our first choice midfield is good enough, but our depth isn't. Song, Rosicky and Arteta played well together last season, Wilshere was awesome two seasons ago, but the rest aren't so much. Ramsey's inconsistent, Diaby is very injury prone, Frimpong and Coquelin are young and inexperienced, and Lansbury and Denilson need to be sold because they'll just be loaned out again because they're not good enough.

Definitely need to buy a few more class midfielders, but only to improve our depth.

Varmaelen would be my choice as captain too. After Van Persie he is your most important player and the defence tends to look more secure when he plays. Don't forget you haven't lost RVP yet you can still hold onto him for another season and who knows if things improve he might still stay. I believe Arsenal are on their way to becoming a very good side again, the new signings so far seem to be good ones, you have a ever improving keeper and hopefully the youngsters will just get better.

I agree, our defence was always much more secure when he played, but mainly because he was alongside Koscielny, with Gibbs and Sagna as our fullbacks. The moment Djourou, Squillaci or Santos were involved in the first team, we'd be shaky no matter if Vermaelen played or not. That's what worrys me as we had as many as 19 different defensive combinations last season (yes, not even kidding with that figure).

I just can't see the club actually forcing Van Persie to see out the final year of his contract and letting him leave for free. There'll be too much focus on his performances, which I think will lack if we force him to stay. He doesn't want to be at the club next season if he isn't gonna sign a new contract, so we may as well cash in and actually spend the cash we get for him on bringing in another top player rather than reach into the bargain bin like Wenger always does.

Speaking of our Goalkeeper, I've read reports we're being linked with Hugo Lloris. I've seen so many comments from Arsenal fans saying they don't want him just because Szczesny is proving to be a great keeper. That's such a dumb thing to say! Yeah Szczesny is a top keeper, but who's gonna challenge him for the spot? He has no problems keeping that spot over Fabianski or Mannone, and Almunia has been released, so I would love for us to buy Lloris to give Szczesny competition.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I want a new keeper because Chesney is turning into trash.

Seriously, I ring his praises all the time and he does dumb shit like the CC final to leave me looking like a dick. He had a shit Euros too, hope he gets back to form otherwise we are fucked again.

Aniking

Reaction score
I want a new keeper because Chesney is turning into trash.

Seriously, I ring his praises all the time and he does dumb shit like the CC final to leave me looking like a dick. He had a shit Euros too, hope he gets back to form otherwise we are fucked again.

He's a really good keeper, but you're absolutely right. He does do dumb shit at times and it's really frustrating. One day he'll rush out of his goal like he does, do soemthing silly, and it'll cost us big time. That's why we need a proven keeper like Lloris who won't make mistakes like that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ In fairness he is still a young keeper. Last season was the best for him so far and I think he will just get better.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
He's a really good keeper, but you're absolutely right. He does do dumb shit at times and it's really frustrating. One day he'll rush out of his goal like he does, do soemthing silly, and it'll cost us big time. That's why we need a proven keeper like Lloris who won't make mistakes like that.

The problem is if you bring in Lloris, you run the risk of losing Scszeny or however you spell it, because Lloris is a top proven keep and would get the 1st spot, meaning Scezney would just go somewhere else and become their best keeper. No point in bringing in Lloris, bring in an experienced keeper, like Craig Gordon or Ben Foster, who's not better than Scezeny but can provide good back up and challenge for his spot.

Aniking

Reaction score
The problem is if you bring in Lloris, you run the risk of losing Scszeny or however you spell it, because Lloris is a top proven keep and would get the 1st spot, meaning Scezney would just go somewhere else and become their best keeper. No point in bringing in Lloris, bring in an experienced keeper, like Craig Gordon or Ben Foster, who's not better than Scezeny but can provide good back up and challenge for his spot.

That's a good point actually, didn't really think that through completely. I guess I was just too focused on the complete drop in class from Szczesny to Fabianski & Mannone that I didn't even consider if Lloris came in that Szczesny may jump ship if he hardly gets any game time. Wenger isn't one to rotate his team too much, so buying Lloris could be detrimental to Szczesny's development. Tough situation.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Szczesny is a top Keeper, just like David De Gea, both are young and will develop. If you look at what happened with De Gea, our second choice, who wasn't as good as De Gea, got put in the first team, as the starting Keeper, that improved De Gea, and he worked for his space back. Lindergaard was good in that regard,but I don't think Lloris will go to Arsenal to play second fiddle to Scezeny, it's either first choice or nothing.

Lewb

Reaction score
Maybe Wenger will try and lure Schwarzer away from Fulham again. He would be good back-up for szczesny, but he's probably content with first team football still.

Aniking

Reaction score
He originally wanted Schwarzer because we didn't have a good enough goalkeeper, but he stuck with Szczesny and Szczesny has proved that he can be that guy. Schwarzer probably only has a few years left and I doubt he'd want to spend those years as a second choice goalkeeper, and as a fellow Aussie I don't wanna see that either.

Aniking

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

There's word going around through sports.ru that Roberto Mancini has signed a 6-year contract with the Russian FA worth 7.2m euros per year to become the manager of the national team. Their Twitter account is @SportsRuEnglish as they don't use their website anymore apparently.

If this is actually true, it's all about the money and nothing else. I could believe it if it was Mancini taking over the Italian national team seeing how he's Italian... but Russia? Yeah, money, money, money!

Please, no posts like "Not true. Next". I actually want to see what you guys think of this story.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
If there is any truth to it then it would reprsent a big U-Turn from him having seeming to have comminted to Wigan again. It would also be a big gamble bearing in mind he is still a fairly inexperinced manager and knows next to nothing about Russian football or culture. He is better off staying at Wigan unless he gets a move to a bigger English club.

Aniking

Reaction score
If there is any truth to it then it would reprsent a big U-Turn from him having seeming to have comminted to Wigan again. It would also be a big gamble bearing in mind he is still a fairly inexperinced manager and knows next to nothing about Russian football or culture. He is better off staying at Wigan unless he gets a move to a bigger English club.

I think you slightly misread the name. I said Roberto Mancini, not Roberto Martinez. It's crazy enough that Mancini could be leaving, but imagine if it was Martinez. What a crazy choice that would be.

Either way, honest mistake :)

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Park has agreed a move to QPR, which doesn't surprise me, especially since we've got Kagawa.

Salomon Kalou has signed for Lille on a free transfer. A player like Kalou is a good signing for a small team like Lille. And i'm sure Kalou would've taken a massive wage drop from what he was earning at Chelsea.

As for Mancini, if it's true then I agree it's all about the money. Would he be tempted to go into International Management? Probably i'd say. But I really don't see him managing an International side just yet. I still think he thinks he can achieve more with City.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Boy do I feel silly right now lol.

Anyway even for the money I can't see this happening. He has just won his first league title with City and with the foundations they have in place they intend to dominate for years to come, he would be crazy to leave now.

Status
Not open for further replies.