Official Boxing Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Thought that we could use a place to discuss boxing. I know that there are a few boxing fans on the forum and even though boxing has dropped off in recent years there are still some excellent fighters out there.

Some big news coming out of the UK with Ricky Hatton announcing that he will come out of retirement to fight a yet to be determined international fighter on November 24. It has been three years since he last fought and that fight against Pacquiao ended with a brutal KO in round two. It was only the second loss of Hatton's career, the other was against Mayweather, but it was the end of a storied career. After that things went downhill as he struggled to adjust to life outside the ring and ended up in rehab. Now he has got himself back into shape and wants to start working his way back to the top.

I think that it is going to be tough for him to come back after this long out of it. Going to be interesting who his opponent is. How do you think Hatton will go at his comeback?

Who are your favourite boxers? Will Pacman vs. Mayweather ever happen?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Interesting that Hatton is coming out of retirement but how it will go will depend on who he goes up against.

Far as Pac vs Mayweather apparently 50 cent who is like best friends with Mayweather is starting up a promotion partnership with Pac interesting enough so looks like 50 will try and play compromising middle man to make the fight happen. I'll believe it when I see it but this at least gives the chance of it some optimism.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Ricky Hatton returning idk. I've met the guy before and he's a nice enough person, and I don't want to see someone who's done so much to put Manchester on the map fall so low. I think if he sticks to the middle pack of fighters in the division before taking on Malinagi he'll be fine because I don't rate Malinagi at all...

In other news Amir Khan has split with trainer Freddie Roach. Tbh I think it's the best decision for Khan, Roach isn't 100% health wise and he basically focusses all his efforts on The Pacman, giving others no chance.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Anyone know if the Bradley/Pac fight still happening? Haven't heard anything about it since the day it pretty much got promoted right after the first (fixed) fight between them.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Ricky Hatton's return, I think it's going to go well. He might not win but at the least I think he will get a good fight in after three years and get some reputation back. He has lost three stones which is a good sign that he is really going for it and if he can stay in shape, it will be a good fight.

Mayweather V Pacquio. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen and even if it does, the amount of times it's been put off, both will be way past their best. I think Mayweather is too greedy when it comes to the pay packet as 50-50 will generate a lot of money anyway due to the stature of the fight.

What do you guys think on Tyson Fury?

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Tyson Fury is okay, but I'm not sure. Everytime I see him fight he looks gassed in the middle of the fight and I don't think he could go the distance with someone like Vitali Klitscko who saves his energy till the end.

IMO Hatton has nothing to prove. Sure, he fucked up his last training regime, but let's face it he thought the rest and lost to the best, it's not like he dodged them until they'd passed their prime.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Interesting that Hatton is coming out of retirement but how it will go will depend on who he goes up against.

Far as Pac vs Mayweather apparently 50 cent who is like best friends with Mayweather is starting up a promotion partnership with Pac interesting enough so looks like 50 will try and play compromising middle man to make the fight happen. I'll believe it when I see it but this at least gives the chance of it some optimism.

I heard that Mayweather and 50 Cent have cancelled their promotion and Mayweather is going at it alone whilst 50 Cent may now set something up with Pacman. An Australian fighter, Billy Dib, was going to sign with Mayweather/50 but recently said his deal is now only with Mayweather.

I hope that Pacman/Mayweather eventually happens because it will finally decide the best PFP boxer of their generation. I am still annoyed that Pacman walked away from the previous deal because of the drug testing issue, I am glad that they were going to be tested more often just so that we would know they were clean. Apparently Sheldon Adelson who owns Las Vegas Sands Corporation offered each fighter $100 million if they would have the fight at the Venetian Macau but they turned it down.

I am amazed that the Klitschko brothers are both still world champions. I am waiting for a challenger to come along that can actually push them to the limit and take there titles but there doesn't seem to be anyone on the radar that can do it.

As for Australian boxers Daniel Geale keeps managing to win, winning two world title fights in Germany is a massive achievement and hopefully he can now push into the American market. Just to put it out there I, like 99% of Australia, can't stand Anthony Mundine.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Anyone know if the Bradley/Pac fight still happening? Haven't heard anything about it since the day it pretty much got promoted right after the first (fixed) fight between them.

Pacquiao/Marquez IV has been confirmed for Nov 8th.

Sergio Martinez fights JCC Jr tonight in what should be a fight of the year contender.

To answer OP's question, favourite boxers are Carl Froch and Rigondeaux, and I think Pac/Floyd will happen but only when they are both past their prime and the demand for it has gone.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that the fans will still be clamouring for this fight for quite a few years, I think that once both are close to retirement they will finally agree to it. Once they know that there is nothing else left for them to do they will fight, make $50 million each from the fight and walk away from the sport. That way one goes out saying he won the biggest fight of the decade and the other guy goes out saying he lost to the best.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Middleweight fighter Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. could be stripped of his $US3 million ($A2.87 million) purse, depending on the explanation he offers to Nevada boxing regulators about a positive test for marijuana after his first professional loss last weekend in Las Vegas, officials have said.
Top Rank Inc. spokesman Lee Samuels said promoter Bob Arum was aware the 26-year-old Chavez tested positive for the banned substance.

"Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will have the opportunity to explain the situation to the Nevada State Athletic Commission," Samuels said in a statement he read to a reporter. Samuels declined further comment.

Commission executive Keith Kizer wouldn't immediately provide the name, but said only one of 32 fighters who took part in bouts at two Las Vegas venues last Saturday tested positive for a banned substance, marijuana.

Kizer said the commission was awaiting results of pre-fight tests for banned steroids, diuretics and masking agents before releasing all pre-fight and post-fight test results for all 32 fighters.

The commission can ban a fighter for one year and penalise him for up to 100 per cent of his purse for a failed test, Kizer said.

Pretty stupid of him to risk $3 million plus risk a one year ban for some weed. Be interesting to hear what his excuse is and if he can get away with it, he has been banned before for testing positive for a banned diuretic so that will work against him.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Anthony Mundine is trying to get a title shot against Daniel Geale for Geale's IBF and WBA Middleweight titles. Mundine is the only guy to have ever beaten Geale and Mundine desperately needs a big fight after his attempt to break into the US market and a fight with Mayweather didn't work. They are trying to organise this for Australia Day next year and if it happens it would be one of the biggest Australian fights of all time.

Just curious do members outside of Australia know who Mundine is and if so what are your opinions of him?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
My only impression I got from Mundine is that he's an absolute dick and him getting knocked out by Garth Wood was hilarious.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
:y: That is the impression most Australians have. He thinks that he is the best thing to hit boxing ever and has the biggest ego out there. Then he ducks a contender and instead choses to fight an old guy that is well past his prime. Still he manages to pull in PPV buys here because people pay to see him get knocked out.