NXT 2012 - Gateway to the Future

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Everdark

Reaction score
d6AGFKhKI_9RKSpdYc90tnCYDNLFZ13W7cQ2HItDE8kEds_6DWuoeAaKsa8glnpm84LGmbR5yyQ5pqRY3zh4xEB9aipysSKFy3oZfahq8_3exKOEqyfyvP_T-KbpbW8lvCQBi9AGM9HbO8Vh4YBiK4A

GATEWAY to the FUTURE
In May 2012, Full Sail University issued a statement that they were combining forces with WWE to produce NXT including a full-time residency within Full Sail’s campus. This announcement confused many journalists and insiders as WWE already had Florida Championship Wrestling as a developmental territory and the sixth season of NXT was already announced and scheduled to be produced under its original competition format. Executive Vice President of Talent Relations, Paul Levesque, envisioned a new direction for WWE’s development system. The goal was ambitious - create a unified brand that would develop wrestling talent and provide them a seamless transition to the WWE main roster while capturing an ‘independent wrestling’ aesthetic.

NXT is the gateway to the future, and the future is now!

MEN’S ROSTER
Adrian Neville
Aiden English
Alex Riley
Alexander Rusev
Antonio Cesaro
Baron Corbin
Big E Langston
Bo Dallas
Bray Wyatt
Bronson
CJ Parker
Conor O’Brian
of The Ascension
Corey Graves
Damien Sandow
Dean Ambrose
Derrick Bateman
Erick Rowan
Garrett Dylan
Jake Carter
Jason Jordan
Jey Uso
of The Usos
Jimmy Uso of The Usos
Joseph Hennig
Judas Devlin
Justin Gabriel
Kassius Ohno
Kenneth Cameron
of The Ascension
Leo Kruger
Luke Harper
Mike Dalton
Nick Rogers
Oliver Gray
Richie Steamboat
Rick Victor
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins
Trent Baretta
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

WOMEN'S ROSTER
Audrey Marie
Emma
Paige
Shaul Guerrero
Sofia Cortez
Summer Rae

TAG TEAMS and STABLES
Corey Graves and Jake Carter
The Ascension
(Kenneth Cameron and Conor O’Brian)
The Usos (Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso)

OTHER PERSONNEL
Byron Saxton Commentator
Briley Pierce Interviewer
Caylee Turner Ring Announcer
Dusty Rhodes General Manager
Jim Ross Lead Commentator
William Regal Commentator

Stojy

Reaction score
Oh man, oh man, am I ever looking forward to this. Considering we can look back 12 years ago and see where some of these names are now on the main roster, or at another company, this roster looks to be so much fun. Wishing you the best of luck with this, I'll be reading.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
I love this early NXT with the transition from FCW and the early charm it had. I wonder how hindsight will impact your booking decisions, like Stojy said, there's a lot of great talent on the roster but also curious to see if you'll build anyone who perhaps didn't much time back then. Good luck with this!

• Love
Reactions: Everdark

Everdark

Reaction score
rl_d72zFoXQjmra_yy7xq29H92Ag_FJ0lR7WMg0Z_B10EF9iwQezLK-gGR4cHI0fW2zgVlKRJQ1r-xHtY_QoSFn3GjFi36tiXv2XAAs24yha8WHY28pojo7sjNlRn4kVNcOxDvOOtjgrU2sVRrPxqpQ

JUNE 20, 2012

“Yes, sir, we promised you a great main event…”

NXT - June 20, 2012-01.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-02.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-03.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-04.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-05.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-06.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-07.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-08.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-09.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-10.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-11.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-12.png
NXT - June 20, 2012-13.png

Seth Rollins def. Oliver Grey via Pinfall at 4:26
Kassius Ohno def. CJ Parker via Knockout at 2:56
Paige def. Audrey Marie at 3:41
Dean Ambrose def. Justin Gabriel at 13:28

Author's Note: Thanks for the support, guys! I hope you enjoy this first episode. It may seem a bit familiar, I started this a few years ago, but stopped due to real life interfering. I went through and rewrote the entire show so it shouldn't feel like you're rereading anything. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. I'm excited to get back into storytelling.

Last edited:

DTP

Reaction score
WWE NXT - June 20, 2012:

I love, love, love the idea of this. There is so much potential here, as we begin a new era from the ground floor working up. So many different ways you can take things, and I'm eager to see how we get to all of it. Here's to a long life, as with the one-hour format, there is potential for great tenure on the board with easy-to-write shows. I would have liked a little more detail on the ending events of Florida Championship Wrestling preluding to NXT's introduction, but that can be cleared up with these first few shows.

Jim Ross and William Regal are a strong broadcast team to get things up and running. One thing I would suggest is perhaps the idea adopted a year into its' run - introducing a main events-only broadcaster.

Oh, cringy little hardcore dancing Seth Rollins. Fun skit to introduce the first match of a new era, and having Seth go over Oliver Grey worked just fine. Given his legacy since, Rollins really should be one of the cornerstones of this era in NXT history. I feel like it could have afforded to go a little longer, though. Grey was a decent worker - it's a shame he didn't get fair shake outside of the NXT Tag Team Championship run with Neville.

Justin Gabriel was always in in an uphill battle, being a high-flyer with limited charisma and mic skill. Hopefully he does well, but I'm not expecting much.

It's a wise decision to have Bray Wyatt come in hot and begin his cult leader gimmick on the first show. I believe he debuted with this in the second week, so it's not a bad change. I really like the accentual use of fonts to help give some talents persona.

"Flatlined" was a banger. Nice win for Kassius Ohno, and I'd love to see him get this whole knockout gimmick over. Let's see more stoppages and knockout finishes to matches. There's a lot of fun that can be had with this. I hope Ohno gets off the ground running in a big way - he really should be one of the bigger stars in these opening months. CJ Parker has a long way to go. A reliable hand, let's hope he doesn't lean too heavily into the black death of the heel environmentalist hippy character.

With Dusty Rhodes at the helm of NXT, I would not mind seeing him become more of an on-screen figure where it counts. That being, announcements, interviews, the works. He could be a real James J. Dillon or Gorilla Monsoon of NXT in these formative years.

If I could hazard a wild guess, I would say "the USA Guy" debuting in two weeks will be revealed to be a reimagined Derrick Bateman. Hopefully he is to be less one-dimensional than being another in a line of American patriots.

Audrey Marie is a name I've not heard in years. She did not last long, huh? Paige winning makes sense, and immediately we have the centrepiece of the division highlighted. This period of women's wrestling truly is forgotten, outside of Paige and Emma for the most part. It won't be long until the Four Horsewomen come in one-by-one - but hopefully it's a gradual change.

I'm keen on using Tyson Kidd in NXT, as he was a veteran already who just needed the personality to back it up. I can only imagine that Damien Sandow will get to work with him on a future show. I love the idea of using Aiden English as his understudy.

This promo with Dusty Rhodes is exactly what I imagined a few paragraphs ago. It served as a strong way to introduce Alexander Rusev - but Armando Estrada coming back? I'm not as sure about that, but it's still a step up from Sylvester LeFort.

Dean Ambrose's promo was a strong introduction to his character. I really liked the gritty line about being a WWE Superstar and not making the money casuals think he does. Ambrose winning against Justin Gabriel was expected, and while I truly enjoyed his attack on William Regal after the match, this is where we could have used additional context from their Florida Championship Wrestling days. I suppose this can be saved for next week, though.

Overall, this was a really fun read. It read like a breeze and followed a hyper-real formula of how an episode of NXT would have been produced in 2012. I liked the matches being of short and digestible length - in future this can always be utilised to cram in more matches for the hour time-slot, no doubt.

Everdark

Reaction score
rl_d72zFoXQjmra_yy7xq29H92Ag_FJ0lR7WMg0Z_B10EF9iwQezLK-gGR4cHI0fW2zgVlKRJQ1r-xHtY_QoSFn3GjFi36tiXv2XAAs24yha8WHY28pojo7sjNlRn4kVNcOxDvOOtjgrU2sVRrPxqpQ

JUNE 27, 2012

“Yes, sir, we promised you a great main event…”

NXT - June 27, 2012-01.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-02.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-03.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-04.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-05.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-06.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-07.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-08.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-09.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-10.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-11.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-12.png
NXT - June 27, 2012-13.png

Bo Dallas def. Rick Victor via Pinfall at 2:39
The Ascension def. Jason Jordan and Nick Rogers via Pinfall at 1:54
Tyson Kidd def. Aiden English via submission at 3:07
Richie Steamboat def. Michael McGillicutty via pinfall at 10:21

Author's Note: Thanks for the reviews! I am probably not going to give a whole lot more details about FCW other than a few references to a couple storylines that I'm continuing. I am also planning on speeding up some of the gimmicks as seen with Bo Dallas, just to get out of the generic babyface def. generic heel phase that NXT felt like it spent a long time in during this time. I hope you enjoy this week's episode!

JDBengal

Reaction score
As someone who wasn't watching the product at this time and knows next to nothing about the show outside of the bigger stars (Rollins, Ambrose, Rusev, etc.), I've really enjoyed the first two shows.

The promos are probably what I'm into the most. Each person feels like their own distinct character. I love the characters you've got going on here (again, I don't know if these are changes to what they were actually doing during this time). I'm familiar with Bray Wyatt's character but I'm still enthralled by the promos you've written for him. I'm interested to see how Bo Dallas' gimmick plays out, it's definitely got me intrigued. And I can't wait to see USA Guy. As far as I know, which is very little, that's a new gimmick? I also love the formatting with the different fonts for the characters.

If I had one criticism, it would probably be the match lengths. Again, I don't know if NXT did super short matches back then or not, so it may be consistent with what they actually did, but I'd like to see some of them get some more time.

Great work and I'm excited to keep reading!

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
I'll echo and say that this is a really strong start. This BTB has a lot of potential, just like the NXT roster itself.

I like how you use different fonts for things like the "USA Guy" and "Bray Wyatt is coming" (side note: wooo). Also "Believe in Bo!"

Again, looks fun so far!

Reactions: Death By Looch

DTP

Reaction score
WWE NXT – June 27, 2012:

After a strong introduction to the product last week, I’m eager to jump in.

I really like the consistency with the colour scheme too. As mentioned last time, I particularly liked the use of fonts to get over characters, as we’ll see in a little bit with Bo Dallas. I would like to see a modern territory-esque presentation to the product, especially with how you come to handle Dean Ambrose’s attack on William Regal last week. But at this stage of the game, so early into its’ run, it’s understandable this can feel like a WWE fingerprinted product at times.

I continue to be intrigued by Armando Estrada as the mouthpiece for Alexander Rusev. I suppose Rusev didn’t yet have the mic skills able to stand alone just yet. This promo worked fine for establishing Dusty Rhodes was the one who lays down the law. I believe Rusev could have been used more effectively, though. It builds anticipation for next week, if anything. I just believe he should have destroyed somebody, or even interrupted a match between two lesser names to reach this same conclusion.

I think it will be acts such as Rick Victor that will be indicative on the type of project this will be. While the Ascension is a foregone and simple conclusion to reach if/when you decide to push Victor, there are so many directions you can take a character like that in. At the end of the day, a lot of these names – with hindsight being 20/20 – are blank canvases waiting to be painted on. I’ll be interested in how you develop then, and how unique a direction you do this. Bo Dallas with the win was fine here, and I am fond of his babyface persona sticking around. Considering the fact it was this that drove the fans to turn on him, and subsequently result in Bo’s crazed inspirational gimmick, this works fine for me and he can be an upper-card guy.

Good showcase for the Ascension, who as noted are not up to scratch as the pairing they eventually will be. I forget Kenneth Cameron was a person honestly. Dominant victory. Another thing I’ll be interested in is when titles could be introduced. It’s still fascinating to me that while the NXT Championship was introduced in a matter of weeks, the NXT Tag Team Championship didn’t come about for another six months. The NXT Women’s Championship, even more shockingly: a year. There’s totally ways to do this, but I’ve no doubt you’ll use creative license to spice things up before long. Perhaps when we get this expository period of the first few weeks of the brand out of the way.

Dean Ambrose’s promo was everything it needed to be, introducing who he was and what he was about. Good motivation for talking up William Regal, while also not laying it on thick that they had history in Florida Championship Wrestling – which is hardly canon in this new developmental territory concept.

I’m so happy to see Derrick Bateman receive a showcase here. He’s one I’m looking forward to seeing you utilise. I thought at this point in his career, while injury prone, he was hilarious. A dead ringer for Andy Samberg – I thought he was going to be huge. I’m curious how into the comedy you’ll play him. A side note, I do like your writing style for vignettes like these. They feel very organic and don’t feel forced to fit the character motifs.

Another strong promo written for Bray Wyatt, who for all intents and purposes can be saved before debuting with vignettes like this.

I got a kick out of reading Damien Sandow’s pre-match promo on Tyson Kidd, and it does make sense that Sandow would be representing of a guy like Aiden English. Hopefully let’s not lean too heavily into the whole singing thing. I vibe with those two as a unit, and it gets us started on one of our first real undercard storylines with Sandow and Kidd.

Richie Steamboat jumping straight in as one of the top guys is great stuff. I was never personally too impressed by him, but I don’t think I really was able to see enough of him. I’m confident he and Michael McGillicutty would have made for a strong main event. A Sling Blade being used as the finish is hilarious, by the way, and truly shows how normal that move has become in the past twelve years. It totally works for Steamboat.

Overall, a fun follow-up show. Another simple expository show for the brand as you continue to flesh out characters. I’m looking forward to you progressively getting deeper with storylines and stronger matches, but this worked more than fine for what is literally week two of a new territory.

Reactions: Death By Looch