NWO or the Horseman?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Evil Austin

Now arguably the two most dominant factions / teams of all time were the Horseman and the N.W.O (not the 2 month WWE stint in 2002).

Both have had over 30 members, and N.W.O have had over ten different smaller groups copy their idea- BWO, LWO, NWO Wolfpack, NWO 2000 and others.

Most fans know the NWO and the Horseman and know who they are they were both huge deals as heel stables.

Yet the question I want to know is - which do you think was THE stable?

I am going to have to give the edge to the Horseman on this one.

LexDelicto

Reaction score
I go with the Horsemen. They were the originals. The NWO soon devolved into the Hulk Hogan show. It started out brilliantly, with the "Hostile Takeover", with Hall & Nash coming in from the WWF and invading WCW. But then Hogan stepped in and hogged the whole thing.

Airfixx

The thing that immediately springs to mind for me is the fact that with the big fueds surrounding these factions, in terms of the matches, the Horsemen were a million miles ahead of the likes of Hogan & Nash. (Bish, Rodman, Lenno, Malone and such in the mix too.... Say no more.)

Also, regardless of how horrible the company treated the Horsemen 'gimmick' at times, their glory days long out lasted that of NWO.

To be honest NWO always seemed to me more like a gradually botched storyline more than anything. The Horsemen were legitimately (as much as wrestling gets) the elite.

Sodadelt73

Reaction score
NWO or the Horseman

I always liked The Rock the most, but now, Stone Cold has started to grow on me

Montana

What?

Who were the 30 members of the 4 horsemen? and the NWO has just about only have 4-5 forms you mentioned. Were you kidding with these numbers?

I'll go NWO for sure. When the horsemen were big, the NWA/WCW was the #2 promotion by far. 4 horsemen started the stable concept, but the NWO revolutionized it.

Reaction score
The original Horsemen was Flair, Blanchard, Anderson and Sullivan right?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Flair, Arn and Ole Anderson and Tully. And JJ Dillon as manager I think. I'm not sure if JJ was in the original incarnation.

Reaction score
^^^ He sure was.

It's not even a debate, the nWo had one and a half profitable years. The Horsemen funded an entire promotion for five solid years and survived in different incarnations for over a decade. The Horsemen are one of the three most important things in modern wrestling history behind Hogan and Austin and unlike the nWo, never got stale during their initial run, and without the Horsemen there would be no nWo.

straight_edge76

New-New-New-New-New World Order!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the nWo first being introduced when Hogan turned at Bash At The Beach 1996. When the nWo was at its peak wrestling was at its peak in popularity. When the nWo started to fall apart so did wCw a coincidence? But the Horsemen on the other hand really helped WCW/NWA throughout the 80's but being after the Horsemen wCw didn't fall apart. Plus ask a casual wrestling fan who were the original 4 Horsemen? Other then Flair and Arn Anderson odds are they have no clue who else was the originators. But ask just about anybody who watched wrestling in the 1990's who started the nWo and like clockwork they name Hall, Nash and Hogan.

Now I agree that after mid-1998 the nWo was no longer the force that it was (and I always preferred the Wolf Pac to Hollywood btw) but the Horsemen had already been disbanded as well. Plus if you look at the height of professional wrestling's popularity, the mid-90's who was more influential in the wrestling buisness? Not the 4 Horsemen.

The nWo in a sense spawned D-Generation X and numerous other "World Orders" what did the Horsemen spawn? The Impact Players and Radicals maybe?

Airfixx

^^^Insanity!

Evolution was all but a carbon copy of the Horsemen.

Recently DL'd a torrent of 'everything' NWO.... Watched the first year or so in order last night and aside from the initial Hogan heel turn and what they did with Sting exiling himself in the rafters, the rest of it is a horrible clusterfuck (+ some of the segments when they turn on or jump guys are SO badly timed/executed).

Also re: The Horsemen - Peeps often cite SCSA being a guy that revolutionised the business and what it meant to be a heel or face, yet often it get's forgotten that masses of the crowd in even the oldest of days were throwing up the '4' sign and dressing in suits/sunglasses to the shows.

Their earlier incarnations were also the catalyst for some of the era's classic matches and fueds (Flair v Dusty & Flair v Sting for starters).... How many ME's from the NWO or even Evolution days are gonna be remembered in a particularly positive light as the years tick on?

HHH v Batista WM21 is all I got for Evo'.... A-l-r-e-a-d-y Orton v Benoit seems all but completely gone from even most smarks minds. Triple threat @ WM20, maybe, but in hindsight, match quality aside, that was no big deal.

NWO? ...Goldberg v Hogan? ....Ummmm.

(I may have somewhat repeated my previous post, but c'mon guys get real... Think beyond the perspective of your favourite era.)

Cuck Fena

Reaction score
The nWo was a great angle/faction in its time, no doubt. However, it grew stale very quickly. The Wolfpack was a great idea, too. However, once again, it grew stale. The Horsemen, though not as "cool" as the nWo to some fans, are the true greats when it comes to heel factions. They are/were the blueprint for the nWo.

straight_edge76

Well the 1997 Starcarde match started the nWo Sting VS wCw Sting angle which I dont care what everyone says on here was so thrown off when they both were in the same ring