Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto in contract discussion with UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
AWESOME!!!

source: www.mmajunkie.com

n its three-plus years under the umbrella of Zuffa LLC, the WEC aggressively has recruited talent from overseas, particularly among the ranks of Japanese fighters who've traditionally dominated the rankings in lighter weight classes.

They've been partially successful in doing so, nabbing competitors such as Takeya Mizugaki, Yoshiro Maeda and Akitoshi Tamura, among others.

One of the biggest prizes, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, seemed to elude their grasp even as posterboy Urijah Faber continued to call out the then-dominant fighter early in his featherweight title reign.

But with a merger already in motion between the WEC and UFC, those doors have opened again, and Yamamoto (18-3) is in active talks with the UFC, sources close to the organization confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

If signed, his debut could come as soon as February or March.

During a conference call Tuesday in support of the WEC's final event, WEC 53, MMAjunkie.com asked WEC General Manager Reed Harris whether the merger could set the stage for a new influx of Japanese talent.

"I know that we are actively working on that as we speak," Harris said.

Harris declined to mention any names who are under consideration.

UFC president Dana White, meanwhile, often has expressed interest in bringing Yamamoto aboard, though he hasn't addressed the possibility since the merger became a reality.

"I've been a 'Kid' Yamamoto fan for a long time," White said following UFC 94. "I'd love to get him over here.

"There's two fights left on [Yamamoto's] K-1 contract, and he told me his dream is to end his career over here with us. So I'd like to see it happen."

White's comments came just days after he was seen palling around with Yamamoto on a video blog in support of the January 2009 pay-per-view event. The appearance sparked intense speculation that the Japanese fighter could be Zuffa-bound, though nothing came of the meeting.

Yamamoto was due in May to make his U.S. debut in a fight against Federico Lopez at "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery." But he subsequently was pulled off the card at the request of DREAM officials and instead fought Lopez at DREAM.14, where he delivered a first-round knockout. The win snapped a two-fight skid that included decision losses to Joe Warren (in the quarterfinals of the 2009 DREAM featherweight grand prix) and Masanori Kanehara (at DREAM "Dynamite!! 2009").

Once the top-ranked featherweight in the world, Yamamoto considered a run for the 2008 Olympic games in freestyle wrestling but was forced to abandon that goal by a serious elbow injury.

pumpt73

Reaction score
You know Tombstone. You know what's really funny is you'll get your newer fans to the UFC who will say "who the hell is this guy". Then when he does well, those same fans will be all over his junk. Not that that's a bad thing, I just think it's funny how fans are when they aren't familiar with a new talent whose already proven. He's hit a few snags losing 2 of his last 3, both by decision. 1 to Joe Warren and the other to Masanori Kanehara. 15 finishes out of 18 wins, 13 by KO/TKO including wins over Caol Uno, Royler Gracie, Genki Sudo, and a No Contest against Josh Thomson. I can't wait to see Kid in the Octogon.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I think Japanese fighters are generally overhyped and not trained in the Octagon. Other than Okami, look at the rest Caol Uno, Yoshiro Akiyama and Takanori Gomi at UFC and Shinya Aoki at Strikeforce have proven my point. They all came in with huge hype but have not lived up to it.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Don't apologize PG. But, Uno has had some success in the cage. Granted nothing major, but he's still faired well early on. Akiyama is really the best example of someone being overhyped. Personally I think the guy should be 0-3, because there is no way he beat Belcher. Gomi has already rebounded and has a lot of interest drawing to him. And I can't really base one fight on Aoki. I would have to at least see a few more from him before I make a judgement call. It would be like saying Hayato Sakurai is overhyped because he lost one fight to Matt Hughes. Yamamoto should be just fine. As long as he relaxes and doesn't get overwhelmed by the experience, he shouldn't have a problem. I have a feeling American fans will take to him as long as he has a strong showing.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Aoki was talked about as the #2 lightweight after BJ Penn then. That fight pretty much ruined it and all that talk went away. When you want to make a claim as overall #1, u really have to at least be well rounded. Yamamoto wasn't even looking invincible like Aoki in Japan. He's sort of like Gomi to me. A guy who can generate attention in Japan but I doubt he'll ever win the gold.

pumpt73

Reaction score
You really don't have to be well rounded to be considred number 1 at your weight. Was Matt Hughes really that well rounded when he was dominating the 170lb division??? Also, it wasn't like Aoki got his butt kicked but some unknown can. He lost a decision to Gilbert Melendez which was his first fight in the United States. To be honest, rankings are totally irrelevant. It's just an opinion of people. Granted, we're all entitled to our opinion, but I've learned to not even pay attention to the "rankings" anymore. I expect Yamamoto to take a loss in his first fight as a lot of factors weigh in. First time fighting in the US, first time fighting in a cage instead of a ring, etc. All of that factors in. As for Gomi, I don't think you can make a judgement call on him just yet in the States. He looked awful in his first UFC bout, but looked like the former PRIDE Champion in his second.