No More Surprise Cash-ins Please

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
When Edge handed Vince McMahon his briefcase and won the WWE after John Cena was in the Elimination Chamber, THAT was a great surprise. Does anyone realize that RVD is the only time when they had a real match to win the title? It sucks this way. Now Swagger has done it and it feels stale.

Punk did this twice and both of his title runs were blah and weak. I'll only be shocked if someone has another real match.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
We see real matches for the World titles 98% of the time so I think one good suprise run in a year is very entertaining. It can help build stars really fast. Look what it did for Punk. If he went over Edge clean in a legit match then it would seem like wow this guy went from ECW to this in a month. But beating someone who's already down and winning a major title is a really good way to let a new guy go over without burying the main eventer who was the champ. I think we are over due for an actual match coming out of MITB (probably after the MITB PPV coming up that'd be nice) but look how much Swaggers stock has just went up after the matter of 2 weeks. That's what so awesome about the money in the bank concept.

Reaction score
^^^Yes and no. Swagger was already on the rise. Making a star takes a star making match. Beating someone when they're down, in a story sense, is weak and cowardly. If he had a 20 minute match with near falls and chain wrestling, now Swagger's an even bigger star.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Edge was the only guy to make it cool. Punk 1st surprise cash in was more of a screw you to Edge for doing surprise cash in's. When Punk did it the second time it became stale. Now Swagger did it and it really lost it's effect. Especially since it was spoiled 4 days beforehand.

I really want the MITB winner at the PPV in July to say he's cashing it in beforehand like RVD did. Maybe a face can win it...I AM LOOKING AT YOU CHRISTIAN.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with Swagger winning. It's great to see a new person hold a title and I don't really care how he did it. I like surprises and the WWE has failed at surprising me most of the time so this was awesome.

the408kid

Reaction score
One year I i hope to see the MITB winner at Wrestlemania cash in their briefcase that night against either champion. I thought it would happen this year with Christian but oh well.

Reaction score
I want a guy to win MITB and not carry around the briefcase for the whole year and never have commentators mention his win. Then, after the Elimination Chamber ppv, he goes out first and cuts a promo about patience and doing research and studying opponents and watching the title changes and then cash in for the main even in Wrestlemania.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
^^^Yes and no. Swagger was already on the rise. Making a star takes a star making match. Beating someone when they're down, in a story sense, is weak and cowardly. If he had a 20 minute match with near falls and chain wrestling, now Swagger's an even bigger star.

Welcome to Being a Heel 101. Take a seat please.

seX-Power

Reaction score
The only time I don't like the surprise cash in was Punk's first. Great moment but awful way to have him win his first title.

noumenon

Reaction score
Well, for the most part it's just gotten extremely repetitive. The first cash in by Edge was one of the greatest moments of the decade and will seriously forever live as one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. Edge's second cash in on Undertaker was also pretty cool as it started his epic heel run over on Smackdown. And let's not forget... he took it off of Kennedy.
CM Punk's first cash in was a bit iffy but I still marked like crazy for it. His second however was absolutely beautiful and completely crucial to his heel turn, so IMO it worked pretty damn well.

RVD is still the stand alone person to cash it in as a match, which given the stipulation of the case is a pretty stupid fucking idea. You can say what you want but given the anytime, anyplace condition of MITB you'd have to be stoned (RVD) or the biggest face in the company to waste it on a match.

I'm not so sure they need to stop cashing it in at random but simply change up the way they do it. I mean, cmon... every time we see a champion laid out after Mania we expect to hear the MITB winner's music hit... which we pretty much always do. I'm sure there's a far more creative way to cash in.

Reaction score
^^^That's the best summation of the MITB winner. If they did it when Jericho first came out or if Swagger snuck in through the crowd before Edge got to him it would've had a nice twist. Still, sometimes it echoes the old hardcore title 24/7 rule.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
^^^That's the best summation of the MITB winner. If they did it when Jericho first came out or if Swagger snuck in through the crowd before Edge got to him it would've had a nice twist. Still, sometimes it echoes the old hardcore title 24/7 rule.

Which honestly isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally loved the 24/7 rule.

On the topic of MitB, Edge's first cash in was one of, if not the greatest moments in like last 5-6 years no doubt about it. His second cash in was so-so. Both of Punk's cash ins I honestly was a fan of. His second cash in (much like Edge's) really elevated them to the level that they are at now. Edge's first cash in was awesome just for the moment being so perfect. Cena was the WWE poster boy. Being built as an almost unbeatable force. He outlasted 5 others in a EC match, many started to seriously think he would never lose. Low and behold out comes Edge, and his 'Ultimate Opportunisy' character was born. His second one was good and all, but no other cash in will ever be the same as Edge's original.

Punk's heel turn following cashing in on Jeff Hardy, which was the perfect opponent for him to turn heel on was beautifully done. Before he was still a face, but in the weeks afterwords he transformed from face, to tweener to heel in a almost flawless manner.

1chiban

Reaction score
To be honest, having a 'real' match when you have a briefcase you can cash in at ANY time is stupid - storyline and character wise. RVD's made sense because of the One Night Stand thing, but for someone to not use it when a champion is weak is stupid, if you see what I mean - makes the guy look like a moron.

What I do think we need, however, is:

Someone to cash it in and lose (though that about Punk the 2nd time and Swagger. Wrong on both counts lol)

Someone to cash it in at Wrestlemania itself - For instance, although he won it anyway, if you were Swagger, wouldn't you have ran down and cashed it in with Jericho dead after being speared through the barricade?

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Someone to cash it in and lose (though that about Punk the 2nd time and Swagger. Wrong on both counts lol)

Honestly I don't see how Punk losing was possible but I digress...

I seriously could have seen Swagger losing if Jericho wasn't selling (or not selling and being seriously injured) his rib injury so much.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Cashing in has become stale. Only way you can surprise the audience is cashing in during RAW or a PPV, since SD is taped.

Make it interesting by having the MITB winner lose. Sure hope someone loses with these MITB PPV coming soon.