No more pennies in Canada

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/29/feds-pull-the-penny

OTTAWA - The federal government has given its two cents-worth on the penny - it's gone.

"We will eliminate the penny," said Finance Minister Jim Flaherty in his budget announcement. "Pennies take up too much space on our dressers at home. They take up for too much time for small businesses trying to grow and create jobs."

The federal government says it costs 1.6 cents to produce a penny, so by fall it will stop issuing the coins.

The move is expected to save $11 million a year.

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business says pennies just don't make sense.

"Our members are very supportive of getting rid of the penny," said CFIB Catherine Swift. "Pennies, unfortunately, have become more of a pain than they're worth."

Pennies will gradually be withdrawn from circulation, but consumers can continue to use them indefinitely.

When pennies aren't available for cash transactions, businesses will have to round the after-tax price to the nearest nickel.

Swift says that won't end up costing consumers more.

"In other jurisdictions that have done similar things ... it turns out to be a wash," said Swift.

Non-cash payments, by credit card or cheque for example, would still be charged to the exact cent.

The feds are also tinkering with the loonie and toonie to make them cheaper to produce.

The $1 and $2 coins will get the same treatment as lower value coins, getting steel cores that are electroplated to give them the right colour instead of using a metal alloy.

Really, I'm just posting shit at this point but I dunno. It'll be weird not having them around. I always make sure I'm carrying 4 pennies so I can make exact change.

Discuss all penny related activities here.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
I'd love to see cents gone in Europe. Seriously. Waste of space, impossible to get rid of them. That's more than enough for me.

Reaction score
Canada_on_Strike_Pic18.jpg

All across Canada, the outrage pours into the streets...