NJPW Planning To Run Standalone US Shows

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Okada-640x370.jpg

– New Japan’s Takaaki Kidani recently spoke with Weekly Pro Wrestling magazine (viaThe Wrestling Observer Newsletter), and said that while they are happy with their partnership with ROH, that they still want to do standalone shows in the US. They would like to set up shows in 3,000 to 4,000 seat venues, and have made some “specific plans” to do so.

Kidani also spoke about bringing Shinya Aoki to the Dominion event. He said that he would love to book Aoki, noting matches like Aoki vs. Kyle O’Reilly or Aoki & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. O’Reilly & Bobby Fish as things he wants to see. Kidani wants to make sure that NJPW has a variety of styles, including an MMA/grappling style.
411MANIA | NJPW Hopes to Run Standalone US Shows
I guess that explains why Okada and Kidani were in LA a few months ago. But if this goes through, I REALLY want them to have their first show in Los Angeles, I will totally buy tickets to front row seats.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I guess with a strong card and a bunch of promotion ahead of time they could do a good number... not sure about 3-4k, perhaps. The language barrier is something to consider, also.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
lol at Kidani thinking New Japan can draw 3-4K people by itself in the United States. That's really exaggerating your brand power

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I'd go to their show if it's in LA tbh.

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
They should really try and run a 5-6k venue, I think it's entirely possible with the right card and month of marketing. They've got 200k viewers on their AXS TV Show and their product has spread via word of mouth like wildfire.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
They should really try and run a 5-6k venue, I think it's entirely possible with the right card and month of marketing. They've got 200k viewers on their AXS TV Show and their product has spread via word of mouth like wildfire.
TV ratings hardly ever translates into attendance success. TNA gets more than that, and they struggle to fill a 5k person arena, and they have great exposure.

They need to aim at Hammerstein and other New York arenas, that doesn't make the promotion nor it's product look trashy. If they want to go around the country, then 1k person arena should be the first aim.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
TV ratings hardly ever translates into attendance success. TNA gets more than that, and they struggle to fill a 5k person arena, and they have great exposure.

They need to aim at Hammerstein and other New York arenas, that doesn't make the promotion nor it's product look trashy. If they want to go around the country, then 1k person arena should be the first aim.
Which makes it iffy with ROH. Since ROH runs on the east coast. The main reason for Kidani wanting to run stand alone shows on the west coast is that ROH does not run there. They are already on the east coast 6 times a year with ROH