NJPW G1 Climax General Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crash

Reaction score
Instead of creating a new thread for each day of the G1 Climax I made this thread and will keep it up to date with the points.

G1 STANDINGS

A BLOCK

Kazuchika Okada – 12
KENTA – 8
Kota Ibushi – 8
Hiroshi Tanahashi – 8
EVIL – 6
Lance Archer – 4
SANADA – 4
Will Ospreay – 4
Zack Sabre Jr. – 4
Bad Luck Fale – 2

B BLOCK
Jon Moxley – 10
Tomohiro Ishii – 6
Juice Robinson – 6
Toru Yano – 4
Shingo Takagi – 4
Tetsuya Naito – 4
Hirooki Goto – 4
Taichi – 4
Jeff Cobb – 4
Jay White – 4

Last edited:

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Thank you for doing this. I was going to, but due to personal reasons, I got behind

Reactions: Crash

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So...Yano beat Jay White...so fuck my life and excuse me while I go and slam my head against a wall...

Reactions: Crash

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Only through Night 5 - and stunned by the results so far - but so far if I'm to pick my 5 best matches, they'd all be from the first 2 days lol

HM: Yano vs Naito because Yano rules.

5: Goto vs Jay White
4: Juice vs Shingo
3: ZSJ vs Ramada
2: Ospreay vs Archer
1: Ishii vs Cobb

Crash

Reaction score
I don't hate Yano, just don't think a comedy relief should be getting a push in the G1.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Snowman1

Reaction score
I don't hate Yano, just don't think a comedy relief should be getting a push in the G1.

Tbh it bugs me how they had to explain why Fale was invited back after his shite run last year but not Yano... Wish they explained why he's even here in kayfabe. I liked Yano's story and how it played out, how he gave Ibushi a fluke loss making him have to come back before sneaking a win over Omega to keep him in the running... but while I expect Naito to keep tranquilo, fight back and be there in the end... What is Jay White's tale right now? Kinda feels like he went from IWGP champ to this.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Moxley and Ishii, Holy shit!!!

Also for those watching NJPW longer than me. Where has THIS Hirooki Goto been? Never thought I'd say this guy's become one of the most must watch guys of a show, much less a G1.

As much as Rocky's trying, I wish they'd tell more of a story with how 3 Chaos members have wins over Switchblade so far. Maybe a little more faction stuff, play into the emotion a little bit more, but it's nitpicking

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Also for those watching NJPW longer than me. Where has THIS Hirooki Goto been? Never thought I'd say this guy's become one of the most must watch guys of a show, much less a G1.
The Goto you see now has always been there. Go back and watch his early stuff and even his G1 victory back in 08, I think. It was just that he always kept losing and began doubting himself, but now since coach Shibata is on his side we got the Goto people once knew. The hard-nose stoic brawler, who just kicks ass and walks out.

Reactions: Snowman1 and Crash

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So far I have been enjoying this yeats G1 although I want to know who Naito pissed off to be getting treated like he is. Also, Lance calling KENTA Hideo was great. I actually go more in depth when I am not on my phone.

Reactions: Snowman1 and Crash

Snowman1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just naive, but Yano is pretty much in the tournament to give people fluke losses and he took an L under heavy bullshit, then fought back for hard fought victories over quality opponents in Ishii and Goto. I'd hardly call this a burial, the story of him coming back from heel BS to really fight his way up - starting this week with Moxley, where one W gets him back in line - is a quality one.

But maybe it's also me being naive and enjoying this so much and not wanting to treat it like WWE.

Poor Goto, though.

Watched night 8 with a friend, first taste of New Japan, and he thought it was amazing. Big WWE fan too. Thought it was fun after a pretty good SDL to sit back and watch Naito Ishii Moxley and Takagi just totally beat the loss out of each other, rest for a couple of days to do it again.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Jon Moxley's match against Ishii earned him his first 5 * match

Reactions: Snowman1