NJPW G1 Climax 34 - July 20 - August 18, 2024

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I thought Takeshita making the playoffs in that weak block was a given and so they can show Tony he had a good showing before he got Narita'd in the semis to piss us all off lol

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I thought Takeshita making the playoffs in that weak block was a given and so they can show Tony he had a good showing before he got Narita'd in the semis to piss us all off lol
tbf you could in theory do that with Finlay but I think Finlay would be in the semis in that situation and lose to the winner of Takeshita and Tsuji (I forget who won)

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I would have been more shocked if you told me pre tournament that Finlay wouldn't make the playoffs but I actually give ELP a chance to ruin his tournament Wednesday now that you bring him up...and Goto has the tiebreak on him too omg

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Apoho Creed

Mon ami
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

Man if they have Takeshita who has been my MVP or the Fighting Spirit Award Winner this G1 Climax for me lose to Narita I'm snapping. Takeshita needs to beat Narita and Finlay needs to lose to ELP which is possible right to get in? I don't see a reason to have your Global what the fuck Champion to move on in this Tournament but you you know New Japan can be dumb at times.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

G1 Climax 34 night 16 Full card, preview​

Last night of block action

1*g3EfV1P4y0UEUMqXflCUcA.png

The month long quest to find the Strongest of the Summer is coming to an end. Hamamatsu will see the last league matches in G1 Climax 34 on August 14, and the playoff lineups will be completed. Who will form the B Block side of the bracket?

Watch live in English on NJPW World!

Main event: Jeff Cobb (5–3) vs Yota Tsuji (4–4)​

Singles record: 1–0 Tsuji
1*rHrs-QbU3jI8q61GSWY_eg.jpeg

Tsuji must win
Cobb advances with a win

In one of the most hotly contested blocks in 20 man G1 history, a maximum of six points will separate the block winner from last place. That’s testament to just how competitive the tournament has been, as it’s been difficult for any one man to rack up consistent victories throughout. A consistent factor though has been the incredible power and athleticism of Jeff Cobb. In his best G1 outing since his incredible run of 2021, he now stands just one result shy of the playoffs, or even the semifinals, but with a big obstacle in his way.

Yota Tsuji hoped to be at the same 10 point level as Cobb heading into this main event, but his defeat at the hands of Yuya Uemura thanks to expert technique even with an injured arm has left him at eight. Tsuji has high quality wins over David Finlay and Ren Narita, putting him in good shape if and only if he can repeat his New Japan Cup victory over the Imperial Unit. Both El Phantasmo and Hirooki Goto avenged their own NJC losses against Tsuji earlier in the tournament; will Cobb do the same to send the Gene Blast crashing out?

7th Match: Ren Narita (5–3) vs Konosuke Takeshita (4–4)​

1*duc10dEiBoGS7fQS6sRJbA.jpeg

Takeshita must win
Narita advances with a win

A lot has been made about the new face of G1 Climax 34 that has seen a younger generation of athletes shine through. Quietly, if not entirely fairly, it’s been Ren narita at the top of that list, having gotten to ten points with his own impressive grappling skill… and low blows and shots with his reinforced pushup bar. One more win, and he’ll be through to the playoffs of his ‘first real G1’ after a weak debut in 2023. Yet that one more win would have to come at the expense of a man labelled the MVP of this year’s G1.

While even at 4–4, Konosuke Takeshita’s intense style and hard hitting, spectacular offense has had many a NJPW fan hoping the Alpha’s time in NJPW isn’t done. Should the AEW/DDT rep make it to the G1 trophy then fans will get what they want; his tiebreak wins over Yota Tsuji and Jeff Cobb help his case, but can he get the result he needs most tonight?

6th Match: El Phantasmo (3–5) vs David Finlay (5–3)​

Singles record: 1–1
1*stIJrjLSEWvZvU2HoCyfrA.jpeg

Finlay advances with a win
Phantasmo is mathematically eliminated

Many athletes head into a G1 style league tournament with a specific match circled on their calendar, and where that match may lie can have dramatic consequences for their campaign. El Phantasmo has had some ups, and a lot of downs in this tour, but he has always had this final match with David Finlay to keep him going, and tonight will see him at his most intense.

Finlay taking control of BULLET CLUB in the spring of 2023 was something that Phantasmo always rejected. As he, Taiji Ishimori and KENTA garnered popularity with crowds, it seemed as if a coup d’etat in BULLET CLUB would have seen the group take a very different form. Yet Phantasmo didn’t have the support of his friends the way he thought he did. A betrayal from his allies saw him ousted from BULLET CLUB, and eventually aligned with the Guerrillas of Destiny, themselves one time BC staples. As GoD left NJPW, ELP was left on an island once more, and with mental state shaken, has barely pulled together six points through roll-up victories.

Yet he has stayed determined to take down the one man at the root cause of all his troubles. Should Phantasmo defeat Finlay tonight in Hamamatsu, not only will he potentially stop the Rebel from making the playoffs, but he will also take a big step toward IWGP Global Championship gold.

5th Match: Hirooki Goto (4–4) vs HENARE (3–5)​

Singles record: 2–0 Goto
1*VPZs5uHXkZcU8zWnNkY12g.jpeg

Goto must win
HENARE is mathematically eliminated

There have been several contests in a spectacular G1 that are in the NEVER Openweight Championship mould, and here is perhaps the biggest such example to end the campaign. HENARE certainly would have liked fewer potential contenders to come out of a 3–5 run, and will not want to create a sixth. For Goto though, one of the greatest representatives of the style, a win is crucial to keep his G1 hopes alive, albeit with the need of help down the stretch tonight. All four of tonight’s league bouts will be crucial to the playoff brackets.

4th Match: Los Ingobernables De Japon (BUSHI, Tetsuya Naito & Shingo Takagi) vs United Empire (Francesco Akira, Callum Newman & Great-O-Khan)​

1*P6-Efoy8jLKgJ0If88qV4Q.png

With Great-O-Khan and Shingo Takagi set to face off on Thursday in Makuhari’s playoff matchups, a tag team preview tonight in Hamamatsu. Earlier in the tournament, it was Shingo Takagi defeating O-Khan; will things be different this week?

3rd Match: Tomoaki Honma & Shota Umino vs HOUSE OF TORTURE (Dick Togo & EVIL)​

1*MW3y6nqGLFYvIsZJcXxGRg.jpeg

Monday in Nagaoka, Shota Umino saw to it that the forces of EVIL would not be in the G1 playoff. The Roughneck may still be feeling the aftereffects of injuries that plagued him through his campaign, but he defeated the odds with the help of Hiroshi Tanahashi, and overcame a five on one deficit to defeat the King of Darkness. EVIL wants revenge and will try to get it in our third tag match of the night.

2nd Match: Just Five Guys (TAKA Michinoku & SANADA) vs BULLET CLUB War Dogs (Jake Lee & Gabe Kidd)​

1*rJDUWglxrj-tiOdODl6d1w.jpeg

It’s rare that the War Dogs are in a good mood, but the last night of league action for Gabe Kidd and Jake Lee saw both with scowls on their faces. Kidd may have been victorious in Nagaoka, but only got to eight points in total, and ranks SANADA among the key losses he wants to avenge. With Lee looking to bounce back after his own exit by recreating his sub five minute victory over SANADA night one, will the War Dogs build steam again, or can SANADA get back on the horse after his own eight point finish?

1st Match: Boltin Oleg & Toru Yano vs Katsuya Murashima & Shoma Kato​

1*zKg6I85sDSwud_oMmfWUxw.jpeg

The Big Man From kazakhstan, Boltin oleg might be disappointed that he has won his final league match with Yuya Uemura via forfeit, but he can be proud of a stunning debut G1. 4–5 with eight points on th eboard and just a win shy of the block topping pace is a great effort to build on, and the building process continues opposite Young Lions in our opener tonight.​

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Caught Tsuji/Cobb I woke up, good match but I did expect better ngl, they looked tired lol crowd sounded tired too but idk how the rest of the night went

Finlay
Takeshita
Tsuji

That's your final B Block order, so Shingo vs O-Khan and Takeshita/Tsuji for next round to face Zack and Finlay in the Semis

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
takeshita actually made the playoffs? respect

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
thats a great final 3 for that block, cant complain

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah as good as I thought the story of ELP beating Finlay would have been, Finlay has had one of the best tournaments of anyone so he does deserve the playoff spot. If he lost to Zack in the finals I wouldnt be upset, it'll be him or Tsuji and I give Tsuji a decent chance of beating Zack

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah as good as I thought the story of ELP beating Finlay would have been, Finlay has had one of the best tournaments of anyone so he does deserve the playoff spot. If he lost to Zack in the finals I wouldnt be upset, it'll be him or Tsuji and I give Tsuji a decent chance of beating Zack
"njpw logic" would dictate a few things imo ya - Naito is losing at WK. its very rare gaijins win at WK esp over a hugely popular babyface in Naito. So it's much likelier to be japanese vs japanese. Tsuji makes a lot of sense esp if they want him to take over LiJ with Naito's health being extremely questionable these days.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Or they go wild and fully pull the trigger on Finlay and he goes all the way and we get a heel gaijin win at wk. I have a hard time picturing babyface Zack beating babyface Naito at WK ig

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Ngl Naito lost to like 5 people in the tournament, Zack or someone that beat him might lose the tournament and beat him for it so he can go into WK and lose to someone like Tsuji lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Ngl Naito lost to like 5 people in the tournament, Zack or someone that beat him might lose the tournament and beat him for it so he can go into WK and lose to someone like Tsuji lol
yeah that's a very real possibility that I would not have guessed prior to tournament start but you are absolutely right that they setup 5 opponents for him and his reign is definitely in jeopardy

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler