Next XBOX/PS3 to be Revealed at E3

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
media
According to the latest report regarding the inevitable successors to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, not one but both are set to be revealed at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo.
This news comes from industry sources speaking with MCV. No details were shared regarding the specifics of what Sony or Microsoft will show, nor we do know the extent of what either has planned. While Nintendo will be further detailing the Wii U ahead of its release later this year, we don't know that either the third Xbox or PlayStation 4 will be coming out this year. As such, that means that both companies would still have ample time to continue unveiling aspects of their respective systems if they decide to only share a few tidbits at E3.
Reaffirming the report on Twitter, MCV's Ben Parfitt stated, "Obviously we can't reveal our sources. But you have my personal word on this - the source is exemplary, 100% concrete, ultra high level." Further elaborating on that, MCV's Michael French told IGN, "This is very credible. Even if we don't see the hardware itself, or know a price or date, key publishers and developers are expecting some nod towards what direction PS4 will take at E3 this year. Sony isn't stupid - it knows that if Microsoft is planning to also say something about its next console, it can't be left behind."
This isn't the first time we've heard of such announcements coming at this year's E3, particularly when it comes to the successor to the Xbox 360. The Red Ring of Death fiasco aside, which was certainly a black eye for the company, Microsoft has enjoyed a great deal of success with the 360 due to the early lead it established -- it was out in the United States in November 2005, a full year before the PlayStation 3 and Wii were released. You can bet the company would like to get out ahead of Sony once again and that Sony would prefer that didn't happen.
It was reported last year that a source within Crysis developer Crytek had indicated an E3 2012 reveal of the Xbox 720 (or whatever the actual name ends up being, as "720" seems highly unlikely) was in the works. Separately, we've heard that EA and others had early versions of the new Xbox hardware, but this was denied. Yet another rumor suggested the system would both be unveiled and released in 2013. Other sources suggest the next Xbox and PlayStation aren't likely to be out until 2014, or 2013 at the earliest, though that would not preclude their announcements from coming at E3.
The odds of a 2012 launch for the Xbox's successor, which has been mentioned somewhat often, are not great. Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter is among those who don't buy into the 2012 launch talk, having deemed the rumors "silly." Indeed, it doesn't make a great deal of sense for Microsoft to undercut itself as, at least in the U.S., it has been consistently outselling the competition. During Black Friday week, the system enjoyed its biggest sales week ever with almost a million units sold in the U.S. alone.
Rumors regarding the PlayStation 4 have been somewhat less frequent, both because the PS3 is a year younger than the 360 and because of Sony's dedication to providing a long life cycle for its systems. There have been reports that first-party studios are already at work on games for the PS4, while others suggest the system could come out in 2012 and be equipped with Kinect-style motion controls. What we do know for sure is Sony -- at least publicly -- doesn't feel pressured to rush the PS4 to market because of Wii U, but it will be (and almost certainly already has been) soliciting game makers for their feedback as the system is designed.
This year's E3 is set to take place June 5-7 in Los Angeles.

Not really buying into this fully. Nintendo is going to be announcing the price point and release date on there next system, so I can see Sony and Microsoft trying to get in there and steal some of there thunder.

At the same time, still think there a lot of life and money to be made off the PS3 and 360. Most I think we get is that there developing the system for a 2014-2015 launch. Don't think we see the consoles, maybe just a game or 2 running on them and some details on the specs.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I agree I'd read that xbox 720 (user nickname(poor one at that)) isn't due out till late 14 or 15 at the earliest.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
I play Xbox 360 and this is nice news, I can't wait til E3. I love watching it every year.

I think the Xbox will be released mid 2013 or holiday season. Don't know what the price range will be though..

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Even though I won't get my wish, can we pleeeeeaase move away from putting most of the industry's resources into graphical improvement? Can't we agree at this point that graphics are very close to being as realistic as we can get? I want to development go into more technical advancements for game storage space, more convinent and intuitive game mechanics, etc. Basically I want to see gameplay improved above all, I want to see more flexible consoles as machines that aren't as restricting for innovation. I think that demands more attention at this point than going leaps and bounds to improve graphics more.

The primary demand for constant advancement in graphics is fetish-like.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
I was watching ChampChongs YouTube videos. And he discussed the next Xbox 360 and supposedly it might have a DVR sort of thing in it where you can record your gameplay.

Killswitch

Reaction score
With the talk lately about how Sony doesn't make profit from its video game branch, I wondered if maybe they'd quit it.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Xbox 360 Sales Reach 66 Million, Kinect 18 Million
Kinect for Windows launches on February 1.

[video=youtube;bhoFMNcpYwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhoFMNcpYwo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Microsoft didn't have a whole lot to reveal for gamers during its Consumer Electronics Show press conference tonight -- there was certainly no sign of the Xbox 360's successor, as one of last year's many rumors suggested there would be. There was, however, a promotional video released in conjunction with the event that touts some impressive figures for Microsoft's videogame business, including the latest sales figures for Xbox 360 and Kinect.

The video states that there have been 66 million Xbox 360 systems sold, though given the nature of the video, there was no mention of whether that is the number of systems shipped or sold through to customers. The same can be said for the Kinect figure shared: the sensor is up to 18 million units sold.

Sales of Kinect have clearly slowed since launch -- it reached 10 million shipped quickly enough to be identified by the Guinness World Records as the "fastest-selling consumer electronics device" -- though they're still impressive. The Xbox 360, meanwhile, is coming off its biggest sales week ever when it sold nearly 1 million units in the United States alone during Black Friday week.

As for Xbox Live, it was stated that it has nearly "nearly" 40 million users. Not all of those are Gold subscribers, of course; when the company reached 25 million in mid-2010 Microsoft said half of those users were Gold members.

When it came to actual CES announcements, it was revealed that various News Corporation apps are on the way sometime this year that will bring content from the Wall Street Journal, Fox, Fox News, and IGN to Xbox 360. Unfortunately there were no new details on the much-anticipated HBO Go app.

Microsoft also announced a launch date for the Windows-specific version of Kinect: it'll be out on February 1. Amazon already has a listing for this version of the hardware listed at a price of $249.99, and Major Nelson notes on Twitter it will only work on computers that have installed the SDK, which was released last year.​

Some info to add to this article. Pretty impressive figures.

Last edited:

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I am not ready for the next generation of consoles at all. It felt necessary in 2005/6 because of all the advances in HD technology and things but now I can't see much reason other than wanting to rake in some cash. Give it five years and see where technology is then, instead of releasing Xbox 3/PS4 in the next few years and having it fall behind and needing a successor sooner rather than later.

I dunno. I know gaming is an industry and a business, but I just don't see the need.