Next for the Strikeforce Middleweight Champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Next opponent for Jake Shields?

• Cung Le

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Smith

• Ronaldo Jacare Souza

• Matt Linland

• Robbie Lawler

• Jason Mayhem Miller

• Someone else

• Total voters

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
I know it maybe a little early for this topic but I was curious as to what other people may consider Jake Shields next opponent for the Strikeforce Middleweight Title? Cung Le is fighting next month in San Jose against Scott Smith. Ronaldo Jacare Souza is fighting against Matt Linland and Robbie Lawler is also fighting on that card. Very Middlewieght heavy card.

Would you really give Cung Le the title shot against Shields. Because he would very clearly expose Shields on his feet after he just went over on CBS. But also would you trust Cung Le to hold your title again as he made it obvious he is more interested in making movies than fighting for the promotion?

Jacare is an amazing Jui Jitsu black belt but also has little personality and the language barrier could be hard to promote although I do understand the Fedor effect.

Robbie Lawler is coming off a loss to Jake Shields but would a few quick wins over a few people put him right back in contention?

Scott Smith has a very spotty record coming off a loss to Nick Diaz and now fighting the returning Cung Le. Do you think that a win over the seemingly unstoppable Cung Le would catapult Smith into instant Middleweight contention?

Matt Linland coming off a loss to the Phenom Vitor Belfort, would beating Jacare really give him the chance to be a main contender? Is Jacare really someone to beat to become a contender or is Linland just a sacrifice for Jacare to come into Strikeforce?

I know I am biased but what about Jason Mayhem Miller? If he were to go to Dream or come back and fight for Strikeforce in the upcoming months like Scott Coker said Mayhem will get that invitation. If he were to come back strong could they build this a very huge feud between Miller and Shields because a little war of words coming between the two in some interviews and on Twitter. Could this really be a mainstream feud to get people to watch more Strikeforce?

If there are any other choices please list them. I hope to get some good choices and discussions going.

Wrestling Station

Its rare that you would find someone who is really interested in strikeforce and has enough knowledge about their roster. But imo, Lawler would be a good one.
Linland is a legend but im not sure if they will let him get a title shot atm.
Jacare is a vetern in the with gee or without gee competitions (grappling). But in the MMA world, I cant see him successful in that field imo.

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
I have a feeling it is going to be Cung Le. And I think they will push that fight rather quickly if Le defeats Scott Smith. Because Cung Le despite leaving for movies could bring A LOT of attention to Strikeforce if he is the Middleweight Champion by the time Tekken the movie hits theaters. Bring a lot of eyes to the promotion in my opinion.

xtremebadass

Lawler definitely. They have fought twice in the past if I am not mistaken in EXC, those fights were pretty memorable so I think that would be the best choice. FUCK CUNG LEE

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Yeah those fights were amazing fights but I think theya re going to give it to Cung Le since he is still undefeated and the former champion. Lawlers opponent hasn't been announced yet for Strikeforce Evolution so idk.

EnterTamed

Reaction score
if cung le wins then it goes to him, the only reason he isn't champion was becuase he was doing other things. but while cung le may expose shields on their feet shields would easily expose le on the mat, if you think shields was dominant in gaining position over miller(though he didnt do anything with the position) and miller is a ju jitsu guy, le only has his sans shou(idk if i spelt that right)

what about Nick Diaz who has been on a tear?

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Well I think Shields isn't even going to get the chance to take Cung Le down.
Nick Diaz i think is on the bad side of Coker since he wouldn't take that drug test to get his license. Which is why he didn't fight Jay Hieron so I don't see them giving him a title shot.