New Japan Pro Wrestling signs TV deal in Singapore, broadcast in English

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
New Japan Pro Wrestling and TV Asahi are going global.

According to Dave Meltzer, from The Wrestling Observer, NJPW has signed a deal that will bring the property to Singaporean televisions – translated in English. No details were given as to who bought the rights from TV Asahi to broadcast the events, but it is a huge step forward for ANY Japanese pro wrestling outlet. Prior to this, puroresu brands have been very reluctant to expand outside of Japan. With the rise of MMA and the level of which Japanese wrestlers compete, there is likely a connection that will prove successful for the company.

NJPW took their brand to the internet this year with UStream, broadcasting shows via iPPV (internet pay-per-view) in a move that opened the doors for other companies. Pancrase also jumped onboard the iPPV train, another huge step in globalizing these brands.

With the advent of streaming technology and the world shrinking in size (metaphorically speaking), it is multiples less expensive to get these types of deals done as variables such as satellites and acquiring a buyer of your content are steps that are able to be bypassed.

TV Asahi recently released a 20 minute video that showcased some of their biggest names, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Devitt, and champ Kazuchika Okada.

Source: SteelCageNews

:mark: NJPW in English Commentary at last. Very good move by NJPW who are seemingly growing larger than ever. This will enable more people to get into NJPW and Japanese Wrestling.

[video=youtube;FLpEnxHPkOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FLpEnxHPkOk[/video]

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is awesome! Look forward to seeing it.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah good stuff. I knew they were doing really well and if they get some US deal, I'll watch.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Commentary has never been a real issue with me so yeah but good for them and i will be looking forward to watching.

Reaction score
Yeah but if you watch some of the matches and you have English commentary; you can possibly be invested easier... My favorite match of all time has no English commentary and you can tell the Japs have major passion but sometimes an English Audio would make it go further.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I get all I need to from the Japanese commentary. "HERMAN!!!!!!" "LARIATOOOOOOOOO!!" "FRANKENSTEINAAAAA"

Reaction score
BBUURRRRRNNNNNIINNNNNNGGGG HAMMAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! MISAWAAAHHHHHH! Always goodens lol.

Just sucks you can't understand the background commentary, that's where wiki comes in useful!