New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Moxley/KENTA didn't disappoint at all, not surprised Moxley won at all since this whole Forbidden Door stuff is ongoing now. Also Liked Narita/Dickinson a lot and I still support ol' Ren getting these wins :WOW

Also Brody King getting guys to use his shit for entrances when he teams is hilarious

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'd love to point out how great it is to FINALLY see a mid card championship get retired. Thanks for the memories, IWGP IC title. But it's for your own good.

Hopefully this starts a trend.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I'd love to point out how great it is to FINALLY see a mid card championship get retired. Thanks for the memories, IWGP IC title. But it's for your own good.

Hopefully this starts a trend.
Which other midcard titles should get retired?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Which other midcard titles should get retired?
When I got into wrestling (later than most, but still 12 years ago), one of the first things I couldn't understand is why the WWE US/IC titles existed.
When you're a champion, that means you're the best at a certain thing. Best wrestler, best female wrestler, best tag team, best cruiserweight, etc.
Even "back in the day" it didn't make sense in kayfabe. Midcarding isn't a division, it has - especially in WWE - meant you aren't on the level of the top guys.
While since getting away from the E and seeing NJPW where it feels like "oh you aren't on the level of Okada? Yeah cause that's really hard, guys like SANADA are still world class athletes", It still feels like a consolation prize and it enables lazy writing.

In WWE, Lashley REALLY felt like he was less of a star with it. He's holding that belt, so you don't think of him as a main eventer, and you don't even realize how much ass he's been kicking without that golden anchor they had to book their way out of. The best midcard champs I've ever seen (obvious 2015 Cena) were guys who didn't need the belt. I can't even remember guys like Adam Cole with the North American title doing much with it.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
When I got into wrestling (later than most, but still 12 years ago), one of the first things I couldn't understand is why the WWE US/IC titles existed.
When you're a champion, that means you're the best at a certain thing. Best wrestler, best female wrestler, best tag team, best cruiserweight, etc.
Even "back in the day" it didn't make sense in kayfabe. Midcarding isn't a division, it has - especially in WWE - meant you aren't on the level of the top guys.
While since getting away from the E and seeing NJPW where it feels like "oh you aren't on the level of Okada? Yeah cause that's really hard, guys like SANADA are still world class athletes", It still feels like a consolation prize and it enables lazy writing.

In WWE, Lashley REALLY felt like he was less of a star with it. He's holding that belt, so you don't think of him as a main eventer, and you don't even realize how much ass he's been kicking without that golden anchor they had to book their way out of. The best midcard champs I've ever seen (obvious 2015 Cena) were guys who didn't need the belt. I can't even remember guys like Adam Cole with the North American title doing much with it.
WWE had two shows and two brands for the better part of the last 12 years. It's hard to argue that having 1 title for 2 brands with 40 different roster members/show proves anything, the argument could be made in kayfabe that a champion frequenting one show devalues their status as the best. It's a deficit for either show to be without a champion, in the midcard.

The kayfabe function of a midcard title is pretty simple. No matter what walk of life you compete in, there's intermediary accomplishments. You get a purple belt, competing in purple belt competitions before getting a black belt, competing in black belt competitions. It's not a disadvantage for the promotion to acknowledge that the vast majority of their roster is, in fact, not as good as the world champion. It doesn't mean they can't prove themselves, both in booking and kayfabe, to be champion by showing their ability to be the best of the rest with midcard titles.

Also, the function of the midcard titles "back in the day" didn't discredit the reason for a midcard title, either. An example being JCP/WCW which had the World Heavyweight, US and TV titles, in their midcard singles division. The TV title was regularly defended on TV, and on house shows, often given to the guy deemed the best worker or with the most potential as a worker, to test their in-ring skills and endurance. This was also the kayfabe function of the title, this is the workhorse and this is him proving it. The US title was to test the ability of a guy to draw. The Heavyweight champion rarely wrestled on TV shows, or if he did, it was often in one-offs or tag matches. The US champion was the only regular, reoccurring champion to appear and wrestle, on a regular basis. The Heavyweight champion was obviously the top prize, but the kayfabe function of the US title was also very similar to the booking function, that this guy is biding his time.

WWE's poor booking of their titles is more of the issue than the fact that they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asad Ali

Reaction score
This other excitement factor is that whoever overthrows Okada is the 60th champion. For either Ocada or Tana, or even more Naito if the Okada tumps Tana, that is a nice feather in your cap.
Perhaps we can get Ishii vs Tana for the band if Tana wins? But when I see it, I'll believe that.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

Damn bruh take a break and get this shit fixed :pogba

I know right maybe this is why Shingo went over in Day 2 of the New Japan Cup because of this injury. He needs a break it's not like he's in the World Title hunt right now take a break and see where the landscape looks like when he returns.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
No lie Rosser vs JR Kratos was a banger on Strong last night. Was eh on Rosser winning at first bc I mean it's Darren fucking Young but then I realized he's literally had some of the best matches on Strong since I started watching :DEAD: dude is straight killing it

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
ecmbFjr.jpg

I don't mind the new IWGP World Title. It will take some getting used to realistically it doesn't matter how it looks to me it comes down to the value of it and if people believe Ibushi is holding it with honor and respect like past champions.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think it's fine, don't love it though. I'll get used to it fairly quick I imagine once the salt over two better looking belts being retired for it goes away.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
The new Heavyweight title is god awful.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Bruh I don't see the point at all of introducing a belt for NJPW Strong :lol the US Title could be used for this easily lmao I mean the show having a belt is nice and it looks cool, I just don't know why NJPW is so weird about the title being defended on US soil or whatever bc I feel like Moxley hasn't mentioned it since the KENTA match or anything

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
ecmbFjr.jpg

I don't mind the new IWGP World Title. It will take some getting used to realistically it doesn't matter how it looks to me it comes down to the value of it and if people believe Ibushi is holding it with honor and respect like past champions.
I pictured a purple border and now all I can see is the Divas title :TI: