New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Oh by no means was I considering this as a carry job, I just think that's its amazing to see both guys at their element and have an amazing, stiff as fuck, match. Tenzan's psychology and facials really drew the crowd in and it takes a special connection beyond 'moves' and 'workrate' to get there.
Tenzan alongside Nagata probably has the best relationship with the fanbase. Tenzan is Mr. New Japan. He's been there through his entire career. Good times and bad. He carried the company on his back in its darkest days

Stopspot

Reaction score
Round 1 of the J cup is over.
All the matches were good, but the booking is very questionable. After round 1 the only talent left are from NOAH and New Japan. Sydal is billed as ROH but the dude is under a New Japan contract. Very big drift away from the old J Cup tradition of showcasing outsiders/lesser known stars.

Probably not going to watch round 2 to be honest. All the guys I were rooting for are out

Not Awesomenrh

The Artiste
Reaction score
my god ospreay is gonna beat kushida in the final and we're gonna get a 4th ospreay/kushida in 5 months why.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching Day 1. Good show.

- Tenzan vs Ishii was a pretty good show opener. ***½
I loved this, it was pretty entertaining and had the crowd invested and both men looked good.

- Makabe vs Tonga was decent. **
Tonga lost. Disappointed.

- Goto vs Fale was solid and the right man won, all I can say. **½
I love this move so much, btw.
tumblr_oaisycJLl61sbzhteo1_400.gif

- Sanada vs Tanahashi was great. ****
Tana is simply amazing, the dude just can't have a bad match. Sanada proved he can work at an elite level, and this was a HUGE win for him. He tapped the Ace out. I'm a tad bit surprised Tana (along with Okada) lost clean and on the very first day of G1 nonetheless, but it definitely adds intrigue to Block A.

- Marufuji vs Okada was a fantastic ME. ****½
I loved every bit of it, especially the homestretch. It was red hot. Okada was great and made Marufuji look good. When Marufuji wasn't chopping the F out of Okada's chests, he was ripping his arm out and kicking Okada's head off. Awesome performance. I'm perfectly fine with Maru defeating Okada here, as it also sets up a fresh title match down the line.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I watched Day 2 live and the show was good, I felt.

- Nakajima vs YTR was decent for what it was. **
YTR worked his usual comedy shtick and Nakajima ended up winning. All I can say, really. I'm not familiar with Nakajima since I don't watch NOAH, but I guess he would've showcased his abilities had he faced someone else.

- YOSHI-HASHI vs Kenny Omega was great! ****¼
This match fucking ruled, I loved it. These two put on an exciting, dramatic and action-packed match, in which I ended up rooting for YOSHI-HASHI, despite being a big KO fan. WTF?! Today, I became a fan of YOSHI-HASHI. Great stuff and MOTN.

- EVIL vs Elgan was good. ***
Well, I'll be damned! EVIL scored the upset win?! I love it. [HASHTAG]#BigMike[/HASHTAG] did some cool shiz, too and the Korakuen Hall ate it up. I've actually warmed up to Erugan since last year's G1, the dude's working his ass off.

- Nagata vs Naito was a good match. ***¼
I love both guys, and this was another good (but not great) match with yet another upset and I keep loving it! My man Nagata won.

- Honma vs Shibata was a very good ME. ***¾
Going into this match, I was expecting hard-hittery and I was not disappointed. I liked it very, very much, especially the part where da Shibman slapped Honma across the head. But, what I loved even more, was Honma scoring the upset win! And I was like: IS THIS THE REAL LIFE? I marked out. I also loved it when Honma returned the favor from Kizuna Road and threw Shibata out of the ring. AWESOME! The post-match stuff was all about setting up a future NEVER title match, right? If so, I'm down.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Liked day 2 a lot. I pretty much gave all of the matches 3 stars except for Omega vs Hashi, which I gave a 3 1/2 stars to. But it was all enjoyable

Sent from my LG-D950 using WWE Forums mobile app

Stopspot

Reaction score
Well, Tama Tonga has not had the tournament I hoped he would have so far.

I didn't expect him to win. But I hoped he would at least work hard

Stopspot

Reaction score
Yeah, that match was very boring.

Makabe pinning Tanahashi :lool:
Makabe lives one train station away from the arena. Hometown hero.

Also Tanahashi is set up for the epic comeback. The injury has given them a golden opportunity to play out that story with him

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Makabe lives one train station away from the arena. Hometown hero.

Also Tanahashi is set up for the epic comeback. The injury has given them a golden opportunity to play out that story with him
Yeah, I'm aware (of the comeback thing, not the hometown deal). I'm only half surprised, as it's been established Gedo is going ALL out on the early upsets this year. It's still funny though.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I didn't get much from day 3. I kinda just zoned out at some point.

It's weird because for the second straight year, my guy is the champ. And even though I know the IWGP Champion has won the tournament in the past, I don't see that happening any time soon again.

In fact, I wouldn't want Okada to win simply because he is the IWGP Champion. It would remind me too much of when Hogan was WWF champion and won the 1990 Royal Rumble. Sure the Rumble winner didn't get a title shot back then, but it still seemed redundant. Okada's the champ, he doesn't need to win the tournament.

But Okada is one of only three wrestlers in history that I get so involved watching that I always root for him to win whether it's a good idea or not (the other two being Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett). I like having a guy that I feel that way about.

So basically I don't want him to win and I know he won't... but I hate watching him lose. Fun times.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I'm way behind. I haven't watched G1 since day 2. fml

I am a bit behind too. With everything else that has been going on, it's been hard to keep up. I haven't watched past day 3.

It's not too terrible though. If you fast forward past the entrances, it's really only about an hour and a half of actual tournament matches per show.

Reactions: Prince Bálor