New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I know what those 6-man joke titles represent, breh.

Don't get me wrong. That wasn't a knock on Tenzan, I really like him, but the dude's barely mobile these days. Working a manic G1 schedule isn't going to rejuvenate him, that's all.

But, since this year's G1 is his last, then hopefully he pulls through and goes out with a bang, as you said above.
Barely mobile? So you have not watched Tenzan vs Shibata then? Tenzan can still go. Tenzan is a better worker than most of the current day roster. He just knows that with age it is not smart to go out and work every single match like that.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Tenzan is a physical beast, like most Japanese grand-fathers.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
My thoughts on G1 day 1

Ishii vs Tenzan. *** Exactly the kind of match I expected from these two and it was very entertaining after a slow start. Those dueling head butts were killing me though.

Makabe vs Tama Tonga **1/2. Not much here but it was quick and painless which was good :)

Hirooki Goto vs Bad Luck Fale ** 1/2. Probably the best Goto could do against Fale. Enjoyable but nothing special.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs SANADA *** I often think it's more difficult for Tanahashi to put on a bad match than a good one. I was thoroughly entertained if not mildly surprised by having SANADA win. Still had fun.

Kazuchika Okada vs Naomichi Marufuji ***1/2 This match was good because it had some very classic wrestling strategy applied. Marufuji's continual attack on Okada's wrist was great and before long, every time he bent Okada's wrist, I cringed. Well done on both parts. I can't say I was happy with the outcome, but I was okay with Okada losing since it was such a good match.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Digging the unpredictability of some of these finishes from Night 1

Stopspot

Reaction score
Digging the unpredictability of some of these finishes from Night 1
What was unpredictable to you?

I thought most of the results were fairly predictable. Still good tho. Tenzan vs Ishii was 50/50 since both the "veteran goes on early run" and "veteran goes on early losing streak to make big comeback" story works

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
What was unpredictable to you?

I thought most of the results were fairly predictable. Still good tho. Tenzan vs Ishii was 50/50 since both the "veteran goes on early run" and "veteran goes on early losing streak to make big comeback" story works

Outside looking in watching the top two guys, Okada and Tanahashi, lose to Marufuji and Sanada is crazy.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
It was funny. I never imagined SANADA over Tana (not that I doubted it, the possibility just didn't cross my mind), but when some taima geek mentioned Tana would take Nak's spot of jobbing to a midcarder on the first day it became clear as day. Marufuji winning is what it is. I'm not a very big fan of Maru, as always he showed 0 fire in this match looking bored the whole way through, but in the end I'd still say it was good (impossible to have a bad Okada singles match, after all). He'll probably challenge at KOPW and I'm not really looking forward to it. Tenzan had a very good showing!

Stopspot

Reaction score
Outside looking in watching the top two guys, Okada and Tanahashi, lose to Marufuji and Sanada is crazy.
Tanahashi is just back from injury. And Sanada is a guy new japan are super high on. He's going to get a rocket strapped to him. And the injury gives Tanahashi a good excuse for losing. Just look at how he sold his left arm for the entire match. Tanahashi's story in the G1 is going to be a rocky start due to the injury, then an epic comeback.

And Marufuji took the win from Okada to set the champion up with a tough run in the tournament as well. The fact that he is an outsider helped as well. Since that sets up the scenario of this guy from outside the company proper coming in, beating the champion and challenging for the belt (that's why he won, to set up a future title match). He already beat Okada, so why not again? We all know Okada will win the rematch, but it was a easy way for Gedo to set up a fresh challenger.

Not Awesomenrh

The Artiste
Reaction score
That Okada/Marufuji match was boring besides the finishing stretch for me, the worst part is that we'll get a rematch at Destruction or KOPW and it'll be 30 minutes this time. Tana/SANADA and Ishii/Tenzan were great though

Stopspot

Reaction score
That Okada/Marufuji match was boring besides the finishing stretch for me, the worst part is that we'll get a rematch at Destruction or KOPW and it'll be 30 minutes this time. Tana/SANADA and Ishii/Tenzan were great though
Marufuji suffers from NOAH syndrome. Fine wrestler. But he cannot maintain a persona to project.

Out of all NOAH trainees only Kenta and Morishima have overcome this obstacle

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Ishii and Tenzan were match of the night imo. It just goes to show that Ishii can have have an amazing match with literally ANYBODY, and shows how despite broken and battered Tenzan has become, it's great to know that he's going all out on his last G1.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Ishii and Tenzan were match of the night imo. It just goes to show that Ishii can have have an amazing match with literally ANYBODY, and shows how despite broken and battered Tenzan has become, it's great to know that he's going all out on his last G1.
That match was not a carry job. Tenzan was equal with Ishii in that match

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
That match was not a carry job. Tenzan was equal with Ishii in that match
Oh by no means was I considering this as a carry job, I just think that's its amazing to see both guys at their element and have an amazing, stiff as fuck, match. Tenzan's psychology and facials really drew the crowd in and it takes a special connection beyond 'moves' and 'workrate' to get there.