New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Kushida losing the belt was very stupid. I was really surprised, unless Gedo just gave up on Kushida being the new face of the juniors in favor of having Matt Sydal and I guess CJ challenge for the belt later on. I thought building up to a Kushida/Liger WK match in some sort of "passing of the torch" moment would've been great, but whatever. I really liked the NEVER match, don't really mind Ibushi losing to be honest but is Ishii gonna challenge Makabe AGAIN? I mean, haven't we seen this literally all year?

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Goto confirmed for gimp. This reign and this "push"/rivalry has done nothing for him.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
He lost to Naka? Not surprised, honestly. As soon as Naka lost the G1 finals to Tana, I knew Goto was dropping the title back to Naka sooner rather than later.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Shit booking. Like it makes any difference for selling tickets if Nakamura's positioned on No. 8 instead of No. 9 at the Dome show.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I'm just going to copy/paste my post from another forum on the subject matter since I can't be arsed to write it up twice.

I get that Gedo is a "project booker" who focuses a lot on Okada and the already established names. But that Goto booking left such a bitter taste in my mouth. His stock has already taken such a beating that he's never going to be a top guy for them, but he could still be a strong second tier star for them if booked well.

And you'd think that Gedo would get that once you have a guy made (and Okada is made already, the win at the Dome is just a formality) you start working on the next one. Most bookers of indy feds with some momentum get this and makes it work. You feel like Gedo would have it down as well. But I don't get that feel that there's a project set after Okada.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I'm just going to copy/paste my post from another forum on the subject matter since I can't be arsed to write it up twice.

I get that Gedo is a "project booker" who focuses a lot on Okada and the already established names. But that Goto booking left such a bitter taste in my mouth. His stock has already taken such a beating that he's never going to be a top guy for them, but he could still be a strong second tier star for them if booked well.

And you'd think that Gedo would get that once you have a guy made (and Okada is made already, the win at the Dome is just a formality) you start working on the next one. Most bookers of indy feds with some momentum get this and makes it work. You feel like Gedo would have it down as well. But I don't get that feel that there's a project set after Okada.
Maybe he's gonna go with Naito (but, yeah, doesn't feel like he's had something planned other than Okada long term).

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Maybe he's gonna go with Naito (but, yeah, doesn't feel like he's had something planned other than Okada long term).
Obvo. Because we all know how much more work Okada needs. :pity:

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
This IC title reign did nothing for Goto. He was just the transitional champion to make an impression that something's happening. He had no defenses outside Nakamura. Had the same G1 run he always has. The same thing happened last year with Fale. And now we're getting the reset button hit all over the playground again, with the notable G1 upsets getting predictably avenged on tour-enders. Also, the shitty "G1 Winner Main Events WK" gimmick is stale and needs to GTFO, it makes everything in between G1 Finale and WK predictable and boring, and it's difficult to create legit stars that way.

Stopspot

Reaction score
This IC title reign did nothing for Goto. He was just the transitional champion to make an impression that something's happening. He had no defenses outside Nakamura. Had the same G1 run he always has. The same thing happened last year with Fale. And now we're getting the reset button hit all over the playground again, with the notable G1 upsets getting predictably avenged on tour-enders. Also, the shitty "G1 Winner Main Events WK" gimmick is stale and needs to GTFO, it makes everything in between G1 Finale and WK predictable and boring, and it's difficult to create legit stars that way.
I don't know how appropriate the comparison is, but I'm getting Kawada vibes off of Goto. They'll keep him as a decently big name. He's up there in the upper echelon, but they'll only "run" with him if one of the big names get injured or such. Difference being Kawada actually got to be "run" with.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Also, the shitty "G1 Winner Main Events WK" gimmick is stale and needs to GTFO, it makes everything in between G1 Finale and WK predictable and boring, and it's difficult to create legit stars that way.
Determining the main event 6 months earlier, is Blue.

The G1 Climax should take place in late October - early November. Have a month of build, and it would be a less predictable and more interesting concept.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Or you could just scrap the "winner gets a title match at WK" concept. Much easier than moving something that is so etched in as being a summer tradition.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Or you could just scrap the "winner gets a title match at WK" concept. Much easier than moving something that is so etched in as being a summer tradition.
I like that concept. But the time period it takes place is poor.

Stopspot

Reaction score
So something that been done every August for 25 years should be moved to make a convoluted title match concept that halts the booking to make it work? Can't say I agree.

The G1 is good where it's at. But the title shot at WK thing needs to die.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
So something that been done every August for 25 years should be moved to make a convoluted title match concept that halts the booking to make it work? Can't say I agree.

The G1 is good where it's at. But the title shot at WK thing needs to die.
You've got a point, there.

Stopspot

Reaction score
If they want to do a "winner gets a title shot" gimmick, have it be at the next big show. Not at the BIG ONE six months down the road.