Music and age?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I will start with saying... Most mainstream music (specially rap) just nauseates me.

I am not saying that to be a hipster but it really does sound like crap to me (Think South Park and the music sounding like farts to the parents). I think I am older in my mind when it comes to stuff like this. Then again I listen to things like Glitch Mob, District 78, Blackmill, general video game music, and Crywolf which a lot of people of all ages thinks sounds like crap. lol

Example:

I know we got a bit of a mix on the forum. I am among the "older" I guess you can say.

Now this was a random thought I had... When it comes to music, is it a younger thing to listen to it all the time? Like while doing things like showering? Blasting it around other people or just listening to it THAT loud? (which I find annoying). Or even blasting it in the car? Like with teens and younger adults, it seems they have a desperate need for music to be a part of their lives on a daily basis but the older people get, the less I see them "needing" it and often sticking to their most favorite songs (which tends to be a handful or two).

I tend to only listen to it on my ipod when I am relaxing (lying down just resting but not sleeping) or working out. I will also listen to it while I am working on my desktop but I have to listen to music without lyrics (which is mainly what I listen to these days) for that since I am writing/typing. The only other time I really listen to it is to drown out other noise as well. Maybe I am the weird one.

TLDR - Is music something that either grows with people or people grow apart from? Does the "need" for music become less the older we get?

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
For me it is a bit weird, I love classic Rock. Guns and Roses, Rolling Stones, just to name a few. But for me, I used to be very 'hispter-y' when it came to my music, but in the past year I have warmed up to some new rock and electronic music. Rap for me is hit or miss.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
For me it is a bit weird, I love classic Rock. Guns and Roses, Rolling Stones, just to name a few. But for me, I used to be very 'hispter-y' when it came to my music, but in the past year I have warmed up to some new rock and electronic music. Rap for me is hit or miss.

Do you find your taste or how you listen to music changing the older you get?

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Do you find your taste or how you listen to music changing the older you get?

Yeah, it has. I mean, when I was little, I grew up on Guitar Hero. So I was primarily 'Go Rock and roll" and whenever the bus on my way to school played the pop music station, I started to cover my ears. Now, I like some, and indifferent to others.

Nick

Reaction score
I don't think wanting to listen to music all the time is necessarily an age thing, it just kinda depends on whether or not you're "into" music. Sure, everyone likes music to a certain extent, but if you're someone who tries to listen to various genres and new music and find listening music to be a hobby, then you'll obviously listen to it more than just someone who has a few favorites. I have headphones in almost all the time, like right now, when I'm walking to class, and I always blast it in the car, and I don't think it has anything to do with age but just me really enjoying music

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with age, but it's more on an individual basis.

For me, there's almost always music playing in the house. One of the first things I do when I sit down at my computer is press play on my media player. I still use one of the big 160GB iPod classics in my car for music, and I'm always listening to music when I'm going somewhere.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, and I don't see that changing as I get older.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I can't work if there's no music on, I have an apple music membership and use the crap out of their library and the 'For You' suggestions.

I have always been an 'old soul' (or so I have been told) I enjoy old classics like John Denver, Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry, The Platters, Dion and The Belmonts, Otis Redding . But at the same time I love Imagine Dragons, Linkin Park, One Republic, AC/DC, Motorhead, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Maroon 5, etc.

I have a very varied taste and don't necessarily hate anything (except for extremely heavy screamy stuff, sorry not mah jam) I also like concert music like Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi. I actually have a good collection of the theirs too.

I think for me personally, it has been an age thing. Not so much in what I like changed, a lot of stuff i listened to in my teens I still enjoy, but I've broader appreciation of music in general. It's probably down to more years of listening to music than just age.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I think some people just have a deep passion for music, I don't think that changes with age or time. I know plenty of "old" people heavily into music who still go to concerts, buy music, keep up with music scenes, etc.
Personally, music is one of the few things I enjoy. I don't care for many sorts of entertainment (movies, tv shows, video games, etc) but music has been something I've loved since I was young and that hasn't changed as I've gotten older. In fact, my music taste has only expanded. Hell, music and animals are like the only things I do care about lol.

Jeremiah

The Artiste
Reaction score
Music, to me, is so important. I grew up in church, and with a family of singers and players. I sing, can't play, but, I sing. When I think back on the important lessons and memories I have from growing up, music was always there. There's a song, for everything, good or bad. I identify with music, and I have a song for everything. I don't listen to some of the same types of music, that I did when I was a teenager, per se, but, I still listen to the same amount, if not more. I think it's dependent on the person as to how they incorporate music in their life.