Multiple Releases Announced

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I think they snag Rowan, Rusev, Ryder, Hawkins, EC3, Maverick, and Logan
OC I really think will take a lot of time off until they can go back to Japan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah OC I agree is heading back to Japan for sure.

The rest you named could be right as well. Haha. I surely agree on Rusev.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Rowan makes sense to either combat or join Lee

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Or when things get back to normal a lot of these names just get resigned especially Mike Chioda. Dude, probably got raises every year and they were like why is this referee makin' more money than half the roster when we currently don't need him?

Reactions: Chris and Pat

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I would have thought Gallows and Anderson would go to AEW considering their relationship with The Young Bucks, but I could see them going back to NJPW after taking some time off because they’ll have Tama Tonga there.

Reactions: Chris

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Or when things get back to normal a lot of these names just get resigned especially Mike Chioda. Dude, probably got raises every year and they were like why is this referee makin' more money than half the roster when we currently don't need him?

Some might, but when you add in the fact that they was going to make a profit even with these names signed... then idk. Mike Chioda surely will be back.

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
I hope AEW just doesn't just start hiring everyone lol. They're gonna end up like WWE with too many people and not enough TV time for them all.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Mike Chioda getting released after literally 30 years is really fucking weird but like you said it’s probably because he gets paid so much due his tenure and at the end of the day a referee is a referee so wwe were like screw it.

then again they could’ve offered him a pay cut

Pat

Yowie Wowie Enthusiast
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Sports Team
v0Br4GW
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
We gotta remember that AEW must be hurting just as much, if not more than WWE. I doubt they have the cash to hire more, if any, talent.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
That fact that wwe were able to just release 20 people like it’s nothing just goes to show how few people ever truly make it in that company.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
AEW is only offerin' their employees food stamps currently

Apoho Creed

Making Love to my Demons
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

The thought of tomorrow bringing more cuts especially possibly NXT and NXT UK is terrifying to think about for me. I might not be able to sleep worrying about these people losing their jobs.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Rowan makes sense to either combat or join Lee

If they tried to team Rowan up with Brodie, Brodie would get pissed off. He likes Rowan but he got pretty sick of always teaming with Rowan.

Pat

Yowie Wowie Enthusiast
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Sports Team
v0Br4GW
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Don’t mean to jinx it, but we haven’t heard of any releases today, have we?

Stellar

Cowgirl Barbie
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
nikkibella
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
yUZITLS
It sucks to see these people lose their jobs.

So far it does look like Anderson (and maybe Gallows) is heading back to NJPW.

Some will probably get hired back to WWE eventually.

Once this pandemic is finally over and things go back to normal, I want to see ROH and Impact really step up. The big speculation is if AEW signs a lot of these guys but AEW is really stacked full of talent already. Some of which aren't being used right now because of the virus.

Davey Wrestling

Does AEW have your attention now?!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
bwpLynH
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
We gotta remember that AEW must be hurting just as much, if not more than WWE. I doubt they have the cash to hire more, if any, talent.

Logic says that It doesn't make financial sense for any company to go on a hiring spree in the middle of the type of issue the world is in now BUT, if Post wrestling is to be believed, then WWE (for as big as they are) make the vast majority of their income from their TV deal. AEW don't tour outside of their TV shows so then it stands to reason that they would be making the vast majority of their money from the TV deal too. They're still providing TV content therefore they're still making that TV money...

When Turner owned WCW they were also paying some of the contracts directly. They may be able to swing the hiring of a number of these guys IF their partners at TNT believe they'll benefit the company.

All of that said, do we really think there's anybody here that could improve their product?

Gallows and Anderson would improve the tag division as it's currently missing a "monster team" and both have personalities... Anderson also started the gimmick that led to the Elite ("too sweet me hoot!") so I could see them signing.

Rusev? Maybe. Again he's a big dude of the type they don't really have but he's more a Cody than an Omega when it comes to actual wrestling (or how we've seen him wrestle in WWE at least). Rowan is an even more negative extreme of Rusev, BUT he has a connection to Brodie Lee and I could see him in the Dark Order... but benefit vs cost wise, they'd basically be paying money to have a guy perform a role anybody on the roster could perform.

If I were AEW looking at that list of releases, there's only five I'd consider - in this order:

1. Zack Ryder. People know him, most people believe he was wasted in WWE so he has that inbuilt sympathy of people wanting to see him do well, and he was the first to really use social media, which is the foundation that built AEW. He suffers from the WWE Copy & Paste syndrome that a lot of their workers do but I think he'd work well in AEW. You'd have to assume that he'd be massively motivated too.
  2. Lio Rush. Look at what AEW have done with Sammy Guevarra and then realise that this guy is already ahead of where Guevarra is now in terms of wrestling and talking. A genuine star in the making.
  3. EC3. A talker. All promotions need talkers and he's a really good one. Absolutely wasted by WWE twice and probably more divisive than Ryder would be BUT, importantly, he's already shown commitment to moving on (see the video below)
  4. Karl Anderson - he's been all over the indys (NWA, ROH, PWG) and then went to New Japan where he won the tag-titles with several partners BUT more importantly, they thought highly enough of him to put him in the finals of the G1. Dude can wrestle and can talk and could do both tag and singles. Not as big a prospect of becoming a star as those above him on my list but a VERY solid addition to any roster.
  5. Luke Gallows. Comes with Anderson, can work the monster style well and seems to be a genuinely funny dude that never seems to get chance to put that across on TV. Comes in as a team with Anderson but may flounder if that team was split.

The only other name I would consider would be Kurt Angle, problem is he can't wrestle anymore and seems to be in jolly grandpa mode all of the time. The could use him as a Jack Tunney "president" character for announcing big matches on the tron and strapping the belt around champions waists - something I'd like them to have in order to lift the attention away from the Elite both wrestling and running the show, but AEW probably already have a better candidate for that role in Arn Anderson..

That EC3 Video

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris