Movies you like but critics hate?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Man in the Iron Mask (1998 version) for me.

I understand it has its share if problems: The Louis/Christine subplot didn't go anywhere, and majority of Porthos's scenes (until the final act that is) may as well have ended on the cutting floor. But other than that, I feel it was an enjoyable film that was reviewed way too harshly by critics. I thought the story of replacing the king by his twin genuinely intriguing, and so was the fact the not all Musketeteers agree with this plan. I found the ending to be particularly engaging and emotional. The actors who played the Musketeers did a damn fine job, and DiCaprio did a lot better than people give him credit for. The soundtrack for this film was amazing.

I also liked the Negotiator (1998 film). But it seems critics didn't.

All reviews I've read focus on the fact that it ripped off Die Hard. Now, the only thing the film has in common with Die Hard is a man taking hostages on a building. That's it. The storylines of both films are drastically different. I felt that the plot of Negotiator was engaging, and really wanted to find out who framed the main character (Samuel L Jackson). The reveal actually turned out to be alright. Nothing spectacular, but nothing Shiyamalan bad either. The biggest flaw for me is the ending: He's free of charges, and the actual villains are put to jail, and Samuel is free to go. The end. This doesn't make sense, considering he took hostages, which led to the death of a person. He'd still go to jail. But if you skip the ending, it's definitely worth at least once.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Many, many a film.

Off the top of my head, Transformers 1 & 3 (2 was shit tbf) & Iron Man 2 (just as good as the first). Will add more when they come to mind.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Yeah, I liked Transformers 3 too.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
It's a bit too much at times, but it's an improvement on the second and that's the important thing.

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
The critics bashed Super Troopers, and I absolutely love that movie. The same can be said about two other Broken Lizard movies: Beerfest and Slammin' Salmon.

There's a bunch of others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I shall return lol

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I don't remember the critics being overly harsh with Man in the Iron Mask or The Negotiator, but if they were, fuck 'em, those two movies are awesome.

Men at Work is a film that was universally panned by the critics on its release, but I still think its hilarious. I also think King Kong (1976) is a great film and I've only ever heard one positive review of it.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
The critics were harsh on Berlesque. I thought it was an awesome movie with an awesome soundtrack

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Grown Ups, If I remember correctly that was given a bad rating by critics. Don't hold me down on that though.

I thought Grown Ups was an excellent film, pretty funny and thoroughly entertaining.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Grown Ups, If I remember correctly that was given a bad rating by critics. Don't hold me down on that though.

I thought Grown Ups was an excellent film, pretty funny and thoroughly entertaining.

That reminds me, and I think a few others here agreed with me too, about "Just Go With It". A lot of unfair criticism.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Stargate was also a film I enjoyed, but critics bashed.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Stargate was also a film I enjoyed, but critics bashed.

Personally, I thought it was great and gave it an 8.5/10. I'm a little biased because I love Russell and Spader, but still, that was one hell of a movie.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I totally agree. :nodsmile: