Most lackluster gimmicks?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Remember when one of the dudes in Demolition became the Repo-Man?

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Bob Holly's first run as Thurman "Sparky" Plugg, and his continued push as a race car driver. I mean, it was so idiotic and pointless. I will never forget whenever Vince McMahon was doing commentary on the 1996 Royal Rumble how when Bobby Holly came out he was like, "Bob Holly! Start your engines!" It was so dorky.

But the reason I would consider it lackluster is that with all of the bad gimmicks, it was such a non gimmick. I mean, Bob Holly supposedly being a race car driver had no real effect on his character. It had no effect on his wrestling style. He didn't go around talking about being a race car driver. He didn't have people attack him and there wasn't any weird storylines about his race car career being in jeopardy because of a sneak attack. It seemed like the entire point was to have him be a race car driver just for his name and his outfit. Very glad he eventually became Hardcore Holly, which was a better character.

And what about the Iron Sheik becoming Colonel Mustafa during Sgt Slaughter's title run? Did they have to bring him back as a different guy? Why the hell couldn't he have still been the Iron Sheik. I seriously doubt most fans at the time really gave a care if he was from Iran and not Iraq. I mean, Slaughter wasn't from Iraq but they still connected him to it. I just think that would have made more sense to let him remain the Iron Sheik since people already knew him as that.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Bob Holly's first run as Thurman "Sparky" Plugg, and his continued push as a race car driver. I mean, it was so idiotic and pointless. I will never forget whenever Vince McMahon was doing commentary on the 1996 Royal Rumble how when Bobby Holly came out he was like, "Bob Holly! Start your engines!" It was so dorky.

But the reason I would consider it lackluster is that with all of the bad gimmicks, it was such a non gimmick. I mean, Bob Holly supposedly being a race car driver had no real effect on his character. It had no effect on his wrestling style. He didn't go around talking about being a race car driver. He didn't have people attack him and there wasn't any weird storylines about his race car career being in jeopardy because of a sneak attack. It seemed like the entire point was to have him be a race car driver just for his name and his outfit. Very glad he eventually became Hardcore Holly, which was a better character.

And what about the Iron Sheik becoming Colonel Mustafa during Sgt Slaughter's title run? Did they have to bring him back as a different guy? Why the hell couldn't he have still been the Iron Sheik. I seriously doubt most fans at the time really gave a care if he was from Iran and not Iraq. I mean, Slaughter wasn't from Iraq but they still connected him to it. I just think that would have made more sense to let him remain the Iron Sheik since people already knew him as that.
WWF 1995-1996 was all dorky. Michael Cole from 2013-2014 reminded me of Vince McMahon from the mid 90s. Just a massive dork with the corniest lines (especially when Adam Rose came out, in Cole's case).

On that note, Adam Rose was tremendously Blue, as a face. WWE gave more TV time to a guy in a Bunny suit and some party boy than a large majority of the WWE's roster. I like Adam Rose, but the gimmick was so bad, and it's kind of hard to believe that WWE even thought it would work. Party boy gimmicks are so out-of-date, lousy and it had no edge, at all.

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Kevin thorns Mordecai gimmick
upload_2016-11-6_21-39-47.png

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Kevin thorns Mordecai gimmick
View attachment 2421
Not sure how that was lackluster. On paper, it was very unique for WWE. It was a much more ritualistic and cartoon version of what Bray Wyatt has become. Rather than being a cult leader, he was more of a demonic prophet who, took the holy ideals of cleansing people of their sins, and turned it demonic.

But I guess the portrayal and overall booking was rather tame. I do think if they rolled with the gimmick, it would've been much more memorable than it is now, and would've made a bigger impact than Kevin Thorn ever did.

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Not sure how that was lackluster. On paper, it was very unique for WWE. It was a much more ritualistic and cartoon version of what Bray Wyatt has become. Rather than being a cult leader, he was more of a demonic prophet who, took the holy ideals of cleansing people of their sins, and turned it demonic.

But I guess the portrayal and overall booking was rather tame. I do think if they rolled with the gimmick, it would've been much more memorable than it is now, and would've made a bigger impact than Kevin Thorn ever did.
I wanted to like it.....but it did nothing for me....I felt like it was a bad rip off of a remake of a bad movie....if that makes any sense

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
I forgot about that mordecai gimmick. It looked pretty cool at the time though.

God there's so many bad gimmicks over the years.

What about rosie (hurricanes sidekick)? He was pretty lame when I was younger. Hurricane was ok at the time, not great... but rosie was just.....rosie. lol