Most awful move on wwe right now....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
But...wouldn't the punch have more power if he was actually
standing on the mat & using it as leverage instead of flying
through the air & flailing like an idiot?

Is leverage the right word?

That is exactly correct and that is why I hate the move. One of the things I learned on day 1 of my shotokan classes is that your legs generate a large amount of power for the punch. You use your legs correctly on the ground to propel and then brace yourself and the bracing creates strength. Jumping up a little and coming down does not add any power to the punch. It will, in fact, weaken the punch. You no longer have the ground to brace yourself for the contact and you don't come down fast enough to really gain any force behind the punch. If I were to stand on top of a Hell in a Cell and drop a punch on you, it would gain some force. Jumping slightly into the air and coming down, no.

Flying punches look cool, but when you really understand how they work, they are less effective than stationary punches.

Keep in mind too that Roman Reigns doesn't do a real Superman punch. A real Superman punch looks like this:

The punch is a thrust forward, not hitting coming down. In fact, he makes the point exactly that you do NOT jump up and come down, you thrust forward. It's all in the legs and when Roman jumps up and comes down, he loses all of that strength from the legs.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
That is exactly correct and that is why I hate the move. One of the things I learned on day 1 of my shotokan classes is that your legs generate a large amount of power for the punch. You use your legs correctly on the ground to propel and then brace yourself and the bracing creates strength. Jumping up a little and coming down does not add any power to the punch. It will, in fact, weaken the punch. You no longer have the ground to brace yourself for the contact and you don't come down fast enough to really gain any force behind the punch. If I were to stand on top of a Hell in a Cell and drop a punch on you, it would gain some force. Jumping slightly into the air and coming down, no.

Flying punches look cool, but when you really understand how they work, they are less effective than stationary punches.

Keep in mind too that Roman Reigns doesn't do a real Superman punch. A real Superman punch looks like this:

The punch is a thrust forward, not hitting coming down. In fact, he makes the point exactly that you do NOT jump up and come down, you thrust forward. It's all in the legs and when Roman jumps up and comes down, he loses all of that strength from the legs.

Can we also not forget that this is wrestling? It’s fake. Also, Roman does for dramatic purposes. Makes it look more impactful, whereas in reality, it’s completely wrong.

I know you kind of alluded to that, but yeah, his punch is all look and flare, nothing more.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Can we also not forget that this is wrestling? It’s fake. Also, Roman does for dramatic purposes. Makes it look more impactful, whereas in reality, it’s completely wrong.

I know you kind of alluded to that, but yeah, his punch is all look and flare, nothing more.

It is wrestling but that doesn't mean we can't criticize the way a move meant to hurt just looks like it wouldn't. I mean the superman punch is one of the things that I dislike about Roman. It looks stupid to me.

It's fake, fine. We know that. But the thing about wrestling, throughout my life, has been that if a wrestler can work a certain way, I can still get lost in the match. I can still believe on some level that I am watching a fight. So when someone does a move that I know for a fact wouldn't hurt as much if it were real, I can't suspend disbelief. And I cannot do that when he does that punch.

Wrestling, to me, is an art form and a dance. I like getting lost in it. If the wrestler can suspend my disbelief, they've done a good job. I cannot do that watching him do that move so I have to agree with the OP on the awfulness of the move. Wrestling being fake does not change that. In fact, it strengthens the point.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
It's a little overdone, but the Superman Punch, just...I get it is meant to be an MMA move, and seeing it in the Octagon can be devastating, but seeing Roman do it, it comes off as Cartoonish.

But if I have to point to another move (not from the Big Dog) it is a variation of the GTS they made Hideo Itami use after the freak accident with Brian Kendrick.

The set up really is convoluted, especially since all he really needs to do is lock in the cravate facelock from the start rather than the reverse facelock.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
tumblr_n0hexoZ7k61se91r1o1_400.gif

• Haha

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Yep...still looks as lame as it did during the Summerslam main event...

And all I think of when I see that gif is Michael Cole yelling...

"SUPERMAN PUNCH!1!!"

And Vince McMahon rubbing himself through his pants...

It's fake, fine. We know that. But the thing about wrestling, throughout my life, has been that if a wrestler can work a certain way, I can still get lost in the match. I can still believe on some level that I am watching a fight. So when someone does a move that I know for a fact wouldn't hurt as much if it were real, I can't suspend disbelief. And I cannot do that when he does that punch.
Yes! This! A Thousand times this reason!

Wrestling, to me, is an art form and a dance. I like getting lost in it.
Fucking Bingo! He hits the nail on the head! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

but seeing Roman do it, it comes off as Cartoonish.
That's because its actually named after a comic book character...
so it can't help but seem/sound lame & corny.

It would be like a wrestler having a move called "Special Beam Cannon"
It just wouldn't work.

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
The Superman Punch has grown on me.. Roman jerking off his fist before he does it looks nasty tho.. especially since i read the internet and it puts all these nasty thoughts in my head.

• Haha

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I think it works for Puma because he's a little dude throwing himself at his opponents out of necessity. Roman feels like a video game cutscene hits wrestling and...

Like Solidus says I want to like the move, it's hard-hitting aand physical and I don't mind seeing it, but besides it just being overdone something about watching him go for that Superman just annoys the piss out of me.​

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I think it works for Puma because he's a little dude throwing himself at his opponents out of necessity. Roman feels like a video game cutscene hits wrestling and...

Like Solidus says I want to like the move, it's hard-hitting aand physical and I don't mind seeing it, but besides it just being overdone something about watching him go for that Superman just annoys the piss out of me.​
Fair point.
Why doesn't he just come up with a New Move set besides the Superman Punch...

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
It is wrestling but that doesn't mean we can't criticize the way a move meant to hurt just looks like it wouldn't. I mean the superman punch is one of the things that I dislike about Roman. It looks stupid to me.

Wrestling, to me, is an art form and a dance. I like getting lost in it. If the wrestler can suspend my disbelief, they've done a good job. I cannot do that watching him do that move so I have to agree with the OP on the awfulness of the move. Wrestling being fake does not change that. In fact, it strengthens the point.
To me, however, a lot of wrestling is like this. 90% of the strikes, even from Styles, Roman, Braun, Taker, etc. look fake as hell to me. Why? Because I did MMA for over 10 years and when I see these guys half ass throw a “punch,” or “kick”... I simply just shake my head as it’s far too fake for my taste.

But, what I come to realize is this: it’s wrestling and it’s fake. They make things look as good as they can, and sometimes, sure, they add some flare to things to try and make it look more devastating interesting. To you and I, the Superman punch from Roman May look cheesy because we know damn well that’s not how you do it, but to most of the crowd, watching Roman jump a few feet in the air to jaw jack someone is exciting.

I cringe every time most superstars throw a “combo” of strikes, because half the time it’s embarrassing to me. But....it’s wrestling. It’s all finesse and about trying to make things look impactful to the lamen. Roman does it, and so does like everyone else.