Monday Night Wars: What side were you on?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
One of the best times in wrestling, which side were you on? I watched both, my love for wrestling started with WWF, so, it will always have a special place in my heart, but, nWo made me more excited for Nitro over Monday Night Raw. Flipping channels was annoying, though.

Reactions: Vegeta

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I watched both, but my heart was with WCW. I’m from Georgia. I think it was the law that I had to pick WCW.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WWE all the way and they proved to they are better by survivin' and then buryin' most of the WCW talent that came in the new few years. One clear champion. Plus, I mean WCW 2000... it might be fun to laugh at but that was a sinkin' ship of disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Redfield

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I wasn't really old enough to see the attitude Era play out, but from what I've watched, I likely would have gone with WWE from 1996-1998 and 2000-2001. 1999 was just such a shit year all around.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I wasn't really old enough to see the attitude Era play out, but from what I've watched, I likely would have gone with WWE from 1996-1998 and 2000-2001. 1999 was just such a shit year all around.

I personally think '99 was WCW's worst year so I still would have been pretty on board with WWF then.

I'm Grim's age so I don't really remember much of the Wars but I've went back and watched pretty much all of it throughout the years and WWF was definitely superior from most of '97 until the end, WCW was really just hot with the nWo and I'd say they were only actually the better product to watch from the nWo forming until WWF really started getting their shit together after 'Mania '97. '97 was a great year for both companies though even though WWF would have better ones later on. WCW was fun to watch for it's own reason, but even with the nWo, I just don't care about WCW's main event scene from that time period at all. WWF's undercard was worse, but the cruiserweights in WCW, while fun to watch, were just fuckin' buried outside of their one great PPV match (sometimes two) and even then Tenay was the only one paying attention to it while the other announcers were lucky to know the wrestler's names and were just talking about the nWo or whatever during the match.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I liked both but if I had to pick a favorite it would be WWF, mainly because they had Stone Cold Steve Austin. I was always excited every week to see what kind of way he would find to torture Mr. McMahon

I had favorites on Nitro too, DDP was my number one guy in WCW. Then after that it was Goldberg, and then Sting and then Macho Man.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I was WCW until Starrcade 98. I was a huge Bill Goldberg fan. He was so different from anyone in either company. Then add in DDP(their Halloween Havoc match may be the best match of Goldberg’s career and 2nd best of Page’s) and I was rocking with those southern boys all day.

Then Goldberg got hit with a stungun. Even 9 year old me knew that was a shitty finish. Then to top it off, a week later we got the infamous finger poke of doom. I couldn’t root for them anymore.

I still watched both shows but I prioritized WWF

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
I watched both of them when I could, but they used to air WCW PPVs on free TV here for a time while you had to get WWF PPVs from the video store, so WCW won for awhile :lol

utvolzac

Patiently waiting for the Attitude Era to return
Reaction score
Never was a fan of NWA/WCW southern rasslin’ except during the initial NWO run. Was a WWF fan during the Hulkamania Rock & Wrestling Era but lost interest during the early 90’s when it got very cartoonish. Started watching again when the Attitude Era started.

But I was Team ECW during the Monday Night Wars era. People think of ECW as just garbage wrestling, but they had some of the best storylines I’ve ever seen during that mid-90’s run. Raven & Tommy fighting over Beuhla, Raven vs Sandman where Raven took Samdman’s family and crucified him, year long Sabu vs Taz build, Shane Douglas leading the revolt against the NWA. Good shit.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I personally think '99 was WCW's worst year so I still would have been pretty on board with WWF then.

I dunno, if I was watching in 1999 and heard about the Owen Hart accident, I probably would have stopped watching WWF for a good long while. I understand it was an accident but the circumstances behind it and the immediate aftermath would have left a super sour taste in my mouth in regards to Vince. I dunno if people felt the same way, but if I had a choice between WCW and WWF in 1999, I would have picked ECW.

Reactions: Chris

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'm Canadian.....all we got was the WWF.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Don't you wish they were places back then that you could rewatch a Wrestling Show if you missed it like we do today? That would of saved alot of heartache for alot of us that had to flip back and forth and sometimes you felt like you missed something good. I would make it a point to at least give each Show a Commercial break of time so I would watch it through then flip when it went to Commercial. It worked for me, but for sure I bet I missed alot of stuff from both sides, but more than likely I was watching Raw more and when the NWO thing was going on I would be all ears on that side. This might finally wake my ass up to do a Raw Watchthrough from the night after WM 13 as I look at all the Shows/PPVs in the my Downloads as we speak.

Reactions: Vegeta

Showstopper

The Icon That Can Still Go
Reaction score
I flipped back and forth between both, but WWF had the edge for me because that is what I grew up on and then in '97 the product really started to get better and got a shit-ton more entertaining and kept my attention more from flipping back and forth.