MMA for newbies/Ask Alex

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
The least exciting Condit fight that I've seen was his dance with Nick Diaz. And the only thing that made that fight bad was Nick's constant trash talking.

Swinny

Reaction score
A few other great fights I'd like to throw in, if I may:

Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann
Dennis Bermudez vs. Matt Grice
Miesha Tate vs. Cat Zingano

And to throw something in from outside the UFC:

Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler II

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I was definitely about to give the Denis Bermudez vs Matt Grice brawl an honorable mention. Where as Miesha Tate vs Cat Zigano was ruined by a horrible stoppage thanks to Kim Winslow. The Wand and Stann slugfest was awesome as well... some others are also JDS vs Hunt and Frankie Edgar vs Charles Oliveira.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Who's most likely to end Bone's title reign and where does it rank in the great title reigns of UFC history?

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Who's most likely to end Bone's title reign and where does it rank in the great title reigns of UFC history?

With the fight against Alexander Gustafsson showing his true weakness, we know what the game plan is to defeat Bones. Push the action forwards with expert boxing and take him out of his element by not letting him press forward and use his kicks. Keeping in mind how Gussy used hands that Joe Rogan described as "throwing the way professional boxers have thrown their whole life, it seems like this is the way that Jones can be defeated. Whoever would be the one to dethrone Bones would have to be a steady target and refrain from using a lot of head movement to prevent Jones from targeting the body or legs to take away the spring in their step. On the ground they would have to put Jones on the defensive. We've only seen Jones taken down once and that was in the Gustafsson fight and he didn't have much to offer off his back. Gussy set the blueprint to defeating Jones and definitely has the potential, but let's hope for his next fight he can finally put Jones away.

As far as his title reign goes, he's surpassed Tito Ortiz with the most light heavyweight title. For his division he's the greatest champion period. For all time, he sits third behind only Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre. 2 more will tie him with St-Pierre, and 2 more after that will give him the most title defenses in UFC history.

[MENTION=60]The Linebacker[/MENTION] , I have to head out (ironically to go train). But when I come back, I'd like you and [MENTION=154]Swinny[/MENTION] to help me discuss a very hot topic.

Anthony Pettis.

[video=youtube;E7JoVtI3fso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JoVtI3fso[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin Bates

Reaction score
I watched the last UFC PPV prelims on Fox. I really liked the Joe Riggs guy. I think that's what his name was. Just because I saw in a video package, he had a mouthpiece that said "good night". Thought it'd be a cool gimmick for someone to have in pro wrestling so I took a liking to him. What are your thoughts on him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
He's a veteran, and luckily he's still got enough time to make a reasonable run at the title. Joe Riggs orignally made his UFC debut back in 2004 and came in with a heap of potential and eventually got a shot at Matt Hughes' welterweight championship at the time. Flash forward 10 years later and he's barely done anything overly impressive.

Back in the day he was great, tremendous knockout power, always put on amazing fights. In today's day and age it's very hard to find fitting competition for him. It made the most sense to book him against Patrick Cote because I think he's just kinda gonna be floating under the top 10 at this point. Is he capable of making another run at the title? Sure, Robbie Lawler just won the Welterweight Championship and he's slightly older than Riggs. But with his skill set, and considering today's wave of MMA fighters do I see him hanging with guys like Robbie Lawler or Johnny Hendricks or Rory MacDonald? Very unlikely. But anything can happen.

Austin Bates

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I have another question, but this one is about training. Do your toes ever (not too sure how to describe it) get this tingling, curling, "oh crap get fixed now" feeling when you are grappling? I've gotten it quite a few times while practicing some ju-jitsu and I don't really know how to avoid it, except I try not curling my toes and that works a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
If it's from the guard, then that curling helps because it will strengthen the grip of your legs. I'm a rather short dude but I've got huge calves and curling helps them come in handy.

You'll get used to it over time, keep in mind I've been doing it for quite some time now. Also if you're attempting an armbar try to flex your heel out to use the whole lower part of your leg.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
So there going to be actual MMA talk on here again, I still watch but didn't have anyone to discuss it with on here outside of the big 3 in McGregor, Rousey and Jones.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Depends on if he can make it to Werdum 2 imo.